Was looking at the Drudge Report today and this headline jumped out at me

The Department Of Homeland Security Is Buying 450 Million New Bullets

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/us-immigration-agents-are-loading-up-on-as-many-as-450-million-new-rounds-of-ammo-2012-3#ixzz1qa6HhoNs

Now, what does the Dept of Homeland Defence need with all that ammo...and that;s just for .40 cal pistol ammo, not counting the /223 rifle ammo!

Read more: http://www.businessi...3#ixzz1qa6HhoNs

Now, what does the Dept of Homeland Defence need with all that ammo...and that;s just for .40 cal pistol ammo, not counting the /223 rifle ammo!

It's hard to imagine what they could want that kind of quantity for. That's enough pistol ammunition to kill every man, woman, child, dog and horse in the United States and Canada. They must have had a lot of money left over they had to either spend or give back to the taxpayers.

• Like 1

It's hard to imagine what they could want that kind of quantity for. That's enough pistol ammunition to kill every man, woman, child, dog and horse in the United States and Canada. They must have had a lot of money left over they had to either spend or give back to the taxpayers.

Sounds like they're gearing up to offer their assistance to Mexico in their war on the drug cartels... Wouldn't that be nice?

Under combat conditions, that's not much ammo. Shit, if you use Vietnam stats to calculate number of rounds expended per confirmed kill, that'd only be enough ammo to kill about 2,250 people.

Anyway, the contract is for up to 450,000,000 rounds. An extremely high upper limit does not indicate this many rounds will actually be purchased.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

Sounds like they're gearing up to offer their assistance to Mexico drug cartels..

Fixed it for ya!

My wife ran the numbers and she cam up with it being enough ammo to kill every US citizen 1.3 times.

The other interesting aspect of the recent contracts put out is a large request for .223 ammo.

Not 5.56.

I wonder if that is due to some small police departments still using the mini-14??

• Like 1

There aren't that many terrorist hiding out in the US so I doubt it has anything to do with them. The ATF was behind the guns going to the cartels, in an effort to promote more gun control, and failed in getting public sentiment to turn on the second ammendment.

Since policy and under handed government policy have failed, perhaps they are preparing for the upcoming police state. The current administration didn't accidentally update the language in the martial law legislation.

My opinion is that the government is prepping for mass insurrection.

I wonder if that is due to some small police departments still using the mini-14??

Mini-14 eats 5.56 happily.

Maybe they want something with a bit better terminal performance than 5.56 ball. XD

• Like 1

The other interesting aspect of the recent contracts put out is a large request for .223 ammo.

Not 5.56.

Yep, that's the part that got me! Not 5.56, but 223. Either wanting to slow civilian orders (they will put all effort into govt contracts first), or they are planning on armimg a whole lot of non-military rifles. Either way, might be a good time to pick up an extra couple thousand rounds before it gets hard to get. I wish brass wasn't so dadblamed high, I would reload....right now, way cheaper to buy the pop and throw stuff

In another thread, Olin is supposedly devoting its 5.56 line to a huge government contract. Hopefully I can find some decent deals at the Louisville gun show this weekend. Everyone locally seems to have a jacked up price and online isn't a lot better.

being the satanic, communist scum that they are. without honor or bravery. once under their control, they operate like this........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jekinMM1cAo&feature=fvwp&NR=1

.40 cal. pistol ammo is not for engaging in battles.

Edited by DANE AXE
  • Like 1

being the satanic, communist scum that they are. without honor or bravery. once under their control, they operate like this........http://youtu.be/jekinMM1cAo

Amen, Dane!!
  • Like 1

Must be a 3 gun match nation wide with a hundred stages.

Sign me up for 40 S&W 160 grain, .223 in 62 grain, and 20 ga with 1 oz loads of #7 1/2. (throw me in some extra rounds sometimes I miss)

P.S. don't squad me with a bunch of assholes.

• Like 1

That would be pretty badass. Imagine if there were a national shooting event in the US as well-attended as Schützenfest is in Switzerland. Practical considerations aside, that'd be about 2 million shooters!

I might have to take a look at that movie. The story of the Eastern European countries in WWII, especially Poland, is unfortunately undertaught. I first became aware of the Katyn Forest itself while studying White supremacists. While William Pierce saw this, as with almost every other ill he could name, as part of a Jewish conspiracy, I suspect that it is more due to a sense of shame or confusion surrounding the West's complicity in their plight during what is otherwise one of our nation's most heroic undertakings.

being the satanic, communist scum that they are. without honor or bravery. once under their control, they operate like this........

Not for a military battle, but a police action .40 cal is more a more commonly used caliber.

My wife ran the numbers and she cam up with it being enough ammo to kill every US citizen 1.3 times.

If you include in Canada it's still not 1 to 1. That's why I threw in the dogs and horses. Not that I think that is in their plans, I just said that to illistrate what a huge amount of ammunition that is in one pistol caliber.

• Like 1

That would be one shot, 1.3 kills, as long as they are accurate with every shot. I was starting to think maybe they bought that much ammo because I kept avoiding the Census lady back in 2010! (LOL).

Anyone remember when they awarded olin a contract for 200 million rounds in 2009? The contract was for a 5 year purchase and there were several threads here about it, it just can't seem to find them yet. Seemed like a lot of ammo but when spread across all of the DHS agencies and training over 5 years it wasn't really an overly large amount.

http://www.gunreport...ICE_1460-1.html

edited to add link and correct reference to DHS and add link to forum post by Bounce12

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/48174-winchester-to-supply-200-million-rounds-to-dhs/

Edited by Razorback

Maybe they want something with a bit better terminal performance than 5.56 ball. XD

Some of the mini-14's procured by Law Enforcement were the Target Models made for the .223 only.

Don't really know why, but they are specified as .223 and .223 only.

Guess if you bought all .223 it would fit all the local LEO weapons and not confuse people, maybe?

Some of the mini-14's procured by Law Enforcement were the Target Models made for the .223 only.

Don't really know why, but they are specified as .223 and .223 only.

Guess if you bought all .223 it would fit all the local LEO weapons and not confuse people, maybe?

They're probably specified as .223 only because they're target rifles cut with a .223 "match chamber" or whatever marketing BS they use to describe it. Either way it most likely is NOT a hybrid chamber.

They're probably specified as .223 only because they're target rifles cut with a .223 "match chamber" or whatever marketing BS they use to describe it. Either way it most likely is NOT a hybrid chamber.

OK,..... But still I ask the question.....why order specifically 175 million rounds of .223 and not 5.56?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jekinMM1cAo&feature=fvwp&NR=1

Very powerful video. Remember Bill Ayers' family paid for Obama's education thinking he was a foreign student according to claims on WND or Inforwars a week or so ago. Bill Ayers is apart of the weather Underground terrorist group. This group told an under cover FBI agent they would need to kill 25 million people back then and now that would be 50-100 million. That same group is organizing with other groups and they all have the ear of the president. Our Govt has done some bad stuff also, they gave small pox blankets to the Indians, Syphillis to the Blacks to see it run its course, and several other thing to eskimos. Allow egypt to torture for them? maybe? If you don't think they would kill you then you might need to rethink your position. Our govt also knowingly made ships carrying Jews return to Germany controlled areas were they would be killed also! Atleast 6 ship loads by FDR! All I'm really saying is the people in our Govt. are as corrupt and Evil as any. We just have had a mostly free society that didn't trust them and owned guns and believed in a Christian God. Much of that has changed is all I'm saying. Edited by Guns Are Great
  • Like 1

According to wiki, DHS has 200,000 employees. Assuming that 25k (completely arbitrary number I made up) of them to use a service pistol in there duties, that amount of ammo over the 5 year period divides out to 3600 rounds per year per person. Make of it what you will; I don't find it alarming.

According to wiki, DHS has 200,000 employees. Assuming that 25k (completely arbitrary number I made up) of them to use a service pistol in there duties, that amount of ammo over the 5 year period divides out to 3600 rounds per year per person. Make of it what you will; I don't find it alarming.

Not alarming really. I mean look at all the Govt/military surplus ammo folks buy. I've probably shot that much or close (3600) in a matter of weeks. It's just a sign people no longer trust the Govt. and that is a good thing. BUT DON'T FORGET, HE WANTS A CIVILIAN ARMY AS TRAINED AND FUNDED AS THE MILITARY TO KEEP YOU IN CHECK AND HIM SAFE? WHO DOES THAT SOUND LIKE? HITLER, MOUSSILINI, STALIN,PUTIN, CASTRO, CHAVEZ, WHO? Edited by Guns Are Great