to cut or not to cut????

So I'm debating on cutting my barrel (legally of course) but, I have heard that I should not cut my 24" barrel down do to its rarity. So is this true? Should I bother? Its already converted b@ut she is a real fat ass weighing a whopping 10lbs unloaded. I have no issues carting it around or watching my friends struggle to get it back on target. My only issue is storage. I have a monster brake and it doesn't make things when trying to store it.

Yes... a longer barrel allows a longer duration of back pressure for the gasses to channel into the gas tube and cycle the action. In order to get the same volume of gas to push the piston you'll need bigger (or more) ports to move as much gas in a smaller amount of time. I have a 24". I won't cut it. If I need a shorter barrel... I'll buy another shotty (IZ-109).

I am shortening everything on my gun especially since I also have the Monster brake. You do have about 6" to work with (that's what she said;) so you could cut it to make room for the Monster Brake and still not have NFA issues. Although, from what I have read, the 18" guns need 4 gas holes and the 24" only needs 3 like Shankspony said. I would not let adding a gas hole stop me if I wanted to shorten the barrel but thats me. I am also shortening the gas system and going to about an 11" gun (including the Monster Brake) so I might not be the best person to listen to if you want to keep the barrel over 18".

Another thing about the Monster Brake is the back blast area. On my 18" gun it was very distracting with those 7 huge vents pointing at my face. The 24" barrel might lessen that effect.

That is one long gun though with that huge brake, I would like to see a picture of that:-)

In the end its about what you want and how much work you are willing to do to make it run well after the mods.

Edited by romad7

You need to get a bi-pod for that thing;-) Looks nice though, not many people use the AFG but I like it too.

Reminds me of a quote from the Russian in "Snatch": (think Russian accent) "A heavy gun is good, its reliable, and if it doesn't work you can always hit him with it"

With the rarer nature of the gun, I would agree that cutting it is probably not something to be done lightly.

I have a 24 inch gun and never though it was rare!!!!

Matter of fact when I bought it it was all I could find,

Only reason it's still 24 inches is I haven't sent a F1 out on it yet.

OH and accept for some polising to get the wally world cheap shit to work it's bone stock.

So what makes it more rare?

factory 24 inch?

SBS F1?

I have all the stuff to chop the barrel but I spent my last tax stamp money on my RV-85 to make it a DD.

So it's either the UZI, AR15, or S12 next.

I am shortening everything on my gun especially since I also have the Monster brake. You do have about 6" to work with (that's what she said;) so you could cut it to make room for the Monster Brake and still not have NFA issues. Although, from what I have read, the 18" guns need 4 gas holes and the 24" only needs 3 like Shankspony said. I would not let adding a gas hole stop me if I wanted to shorten the barrel but thats me. I am also shortening the gas system and going to about an 11" gun (including the Monster Brake) so I might not be the best person to listen to if you want to keep the barrel over 18".

Another thing about the Monster Brake is the back blast area. On my 18" gun it was very distracting with those 7 huge vents pointing at my face. The 24" barrel might lessen that effect.

That is one long gun though with that huge brake, I would like to see a picture of that:-)

In the end its about what you want and how much work you are willing to do to make it run well after the mods.

I have the 18" barrel with only three gas ports and it cycles low brass fine. I agree with most of the others though. I would keep it as is and buy a second. That is one long barrel though especially with the shark brake.

I can hit clays more consistently with an 18" S12 than a 24". I cut mine down and like it much better. I don't care about the rarity. It is much more useful now. Cut the damn thing and enjoy it....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I can hit clays more consistently with an 18" S12 than a 24". I cut mine down and like it much better. I don't care about the rarity. It is much more useful now. Cut the damn thing and enjoy it....

Getting close to cut time.