Personally, I'm talented enough to shoot myself without relying on any particular style holster. I do realize others may need a little help though.

& unlike some here, I'm GLAD and think you DESERVE to own firearms!

I've been using them for years with Glocks and Sigs. My duty gun sits in one as i type this. Personally I think it is the best holster I've used. I could see where it could possibly be dangerous if used with a 1911, however, I know guys who carry theirs in one and have never had a problem. It seems to me that there is no problem with the holster design but rather people who have not trained with their equipment trying to use it in a fast paced or high stress situation. Blaming the holster for someone shooting themselves would be like me getting pissed off at the wires in my house for shocking me when I try to change out my breaker box.

The Military doesn't like SERPAs either. They are being banned as "non-issued" equipment although the Safariland is GTG along with many others. Too many NDs reported with them. As far as NDs go IMO, it can happen to anyone no matter what skill level you think you are. We had a Special Forces troop pop himself in the leg a couple of weeks ago while re-holstering his secondary. These guys shoot damn near every day. Whether it was complacence, cockiness, or not paying attention to detail, it surely wasn't inexperience. I haven't seen the safety report on the incident yet.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm talented enough to shoot myself without relying on any particular style holster. I do realize others may need a little help though.

An accident is an accident. They happen.

Blaming your equipment because you couldn't keep your booger hook of the bang stick shows a lack of responsibility.

• Like 2

Blaming your equipment because you couldn't keep your booger hook of the bang stick shows a lack of responsibility.

I dont think you'll find anyone who disagrees with that logic. However, there is a certain characteristic of this holster design that is more likely to lead to an ND then any other. Common sense should bring you to that conclusion, it is what it is.

I'm not saying its a good or bad design, but i see the potential for incidents to happen.

I have a Serpa designed for a SIG, that i use for my FNX9 and havent been able to replicate my finger going onto the trigger.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Update, at the end of work today, I made it through yet another daily 8hr duty accident free and uninjured with a .45 in a -gasp- Serpa holster on my hip. Wish me well for tomorrow.

Why thank you! I think.....

Not to worry about me though, as I'm a responsible idiot. I always tape a vest to my leg before doing my "butterfingers Irving" quick draw practice. I'm also saving up for some blanks because you can never be too careful.

I think instructors banning the use of the serpa holster has more to do with perceived liability than their actual track record. The design of the holster does lead to a slightly higher likelihood of having an ND but, like how others have already stated, you have to be a pretty special person to be at real danger from their use. I like them and have used them for range and duty use for several years now (though 'duty' ended for me several years ago). Personally, however, I wouldn't recommend them for single action guns without a positive safety like Glocks and others. Not a problem for me as I prefer double/single action and DAO pistols, myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Naw, Jugg's dyslexia was kicking in, he had a hard day yesterday, he meant EDC.

And I only use my Serpa for OC, not CC.

I should have said "I like Chile use mine for OC, and I use mine for CC" long shirt or jacket..

Sorry for the misquote.

I do use mine for EDC.

Some of businesses I go into dont like me to carry in the building, makes them uncomfortable.

They are my Bosses customers so I do comply

I've used the SERPA since they were first produced and I have to say it's one of the fastest and smoothest draw holster I've tried. I also take reports of some uber-tactical instructor's firearm ninja school with a shrug and concurr with others that it's insurance liability more than any other reason to ban a SERPA holster, especially around gun-toting novices. Regardless, to quote a sargeant from years ago used to tell us " you have to be smarter than the equipment you are currently using"!!

• Like 1

I wonder if it's an insurance thing for the courses. I could see an insurance company saying premiums will go up if they allow them in class.

The funny thing is, I believe their design was driven by insurance policies. Cop shops get insurance based on specific pacages of firearm holster and training regimens, often supplimented by the supplier(s.) Around 2000, the statistics were showing that many times when cops were shot it was due to a gun grab, so all the departments and insurance companies wanted simple to use holsters that required 2 deliberate points of contact and could not be released while being pulled upon.

Serpa was very simple and intuative response to others that required you to pinch buttons on both sides or other awkward arangements, and as the video above shows, you can't release the lock while someone is pulling on the gun.

There are a lot of cool kydex contraptions out there, and pretty much all of the big designs can be used safely or foolishly. That safari land holster looks bulky and clumsy to use. I also think that hoop could catch on brush if you are running through brambles after a criminal, etc.

They've been making simple leather thumb break duty holsters that work pretty well and are intuitive to use forever. I can't find anything particularly wrong with the old design, although I am always open to newer improvements.

• Like 1

One very important point to consider here is how many LEO's have been in a life threatening situation with a combative suspect or felon who is trying to obtain the LEO's weapon and a retention holster such as a SERPA has saved their lives? We have all read about incidents where an officer is forced to engage in hand to hand with a felon who suddenly turns violent, possibly both on the ground and the felon was doing his/ her best to get the officer's weapon and use it on the officer.

I know from personal experience with the SERPA that simply pulling on the grip and pushing the release button will not free the handgun. You must apply slight downward pressure on the grip of the handgun then push the release button and the weapon will slide out very easily. This is done with the trigger finger held straight out the entire time until the handgun is brought into action.

http://www.officer.com/article/10249903/the-triad-of-handgun-retention

Edited by Ronswin

If a person always uses the same equipment and trains til failure SAFELY, i.e. snap caps and not live ammo, if they have the muscle memory their ultamite safety, themselves, should prevent this from happening. But with that to get the muscle memory to safely do what "Text" did takes practice AND ability, wich "Tex" had neither IMO..LOL

Edited by BLK-HWK-VET
  • Like 1

We had a Special Forces troop pop himself in the leg a couple of weeks ago while re-holstering his secondary. These guys shoot damn near every day.

True...one of my last trips to Iraqistan I witnessed a Delta operator put a 3-round burst into one of his buddies legs!..and on a scale of how much they train, SF would be a 6 while the "Detachment" is 11. That was the ONLY time I laughed taking the floor armor off to clean the blood out of an aircraft.