irishsandman-

Well kermit, I get where you're coming from, and honestly if you're choosing to ignore a federal firearms law, that's your business, of course.

buddykermit-

I have tapco wood on my saiga cry.gif its really actually very nice A+ i get compliments on it everytime i take her out - but its not russian and i feel it should be. my other ak is a draco pistol and therefor not subject to 922. the funny thing is on my draco i have a hogue pg, utg quad rail, tapco slant lolololol. tacticool doesnt have to be authentic where i feel wood should be

I definitely would never suggest anyone not comply with 922r or any other firearms laws, and i comply with all of them because the parts are too cheap to take a chance, but i could really care less if someone else is breaking the laws, don't bring your illegal guns to my house and i couldn't really give less of a fuck

Exactly! Cheap parts make for cheap insurance.

If your like me then you look for an excuse to tinker with your guns... I am looking forward to installing a new trigger... It will be fun and I will have a better trigger!!!! So after that I just have to use USA mags, although I still plan on replacing the stocks because I dig the Draganov look and it looks like Choate has the only stock that will fit my slanted receiver... It's also good to comply because there are so many out there looking for reasons to enact more gun restrictions on us, so they would just LOVE to show that gun owners are nothing more than law disregarding in breeders that need to have there 2nd amendment rights taken away... I think it shows our intelligence and respect for the law that there are so many on this forum asking for help so they can be complient... hugs and kisses..

1) i appear to be the only one that doesn't care about 922r. Words can not express, how much i do not care about 922r. I don't even believe it is a real law for gun owners. The way i interperet it, it is a law for commercial gun builders and manufactures. I don't believe it even applies to us. Hence the reason no one (excluding commercial importers) has ever been charged with being in violation.

2) If it was a real law, no cop would have any clue about it. You think a cop is going to take my gun apart to see if my piston is foreign or domestic?

3)My wood handguards have USA engraved in them, so there is a your damn compliance

JIMMY!!!! finally someone gets the post.

1. no one has been charged EVER as far as the internet can show

2. 99% police im sure have no clue about the law & even if they did no one really knows what it is lol. we all argue about the damn thing and were enthusiasts

and honestly i could keep numbering reason why i feel its kind of a moot point. how are foreign parts differentiated from domestic? if they have USA somewhere on them? seems easy enough to make a foreign part into a domestic one then. idk i mean i dont want trouble with the feds i think we can all agree on that. but i dont think 922 is one of those things you have to worry about. as a matter of fact maybe the forum could collectively put something together and we could ask them?

• Like 1

So, if I buy a foreign made gun, install aftermarket parts that do not meet a certain criteria, I am illegally a manufacturer. I also have a car, and I have installed many aftermarket parts on it. So based on the governments view, I guess I am now a car manufacturer as well. Now where's my damn bailout?? A law is a law. In my opinion, the 922r law is a boogeyman law, like the one the government approved (both sides) to label American citizens enemy combatants, and limit free speech around government officials. "They" say in all likelihood it would never be used against the citizens. But,...it could. In my opinion, those politicians who voted for the new security bills, are traitors. The politicians who vote to limit what we can and can't do with our arms, are infringing, and our traitors. Clearly, I could care less about 922r. I am a honest, hard working dad. I work. So does my wife. What I do with my soveriegn property is MY business. The government is in place to work for the people, not for the people to work to support the government. I have a clean record, spotless, so if they came to take me away, and my guns because I "may have" put a freakin rail on it, or some plastic thinga majjigy, as traitors to the citizenry, they'll get my guns and ammo, ammo first.

Sorry for the rant, been up since 5AM. I'll probably be all sunshine and unicorns tomorrow.

i was looking at the 6 dollar polymer handgaurd thread which is a sweet freaking deal. anyway like the first or second reply is some dude saying excuse me how are you in compliance? first i kind of thought that was an out of line question to ask on the thread? its out of line period but at least pm if you must know. second i understand the law, but is there anyone that knows anyone personally prosecuted by the atf for 922? i mean are there 922 atf agents like working around the clock somewhere? i dont respect the particular gun law but i am in compliance with it. maybe i have been watching to many gun gripes lol i guess my point is dont call people out and to get people thinking about 922 in general

Perhaps you are a little too sensitive, or thin skinned! We ARE a firearms community here! If another poster trys to educate you (even if you already know) do not take it so personal! You are new here and we do not know if you understand the laws, we try to educate not tell you what to do.

If you think for a moment that anti gun folks don't look at this site (or any other gun site), you are a fool! The idea is to educate and understand and comply with what laws exist.

If education and bringing new gun owners to this site or any other gun site, and promoting the second ammendment is not your goal, then you may be pissing up a rope!

A couple salient points about 922r:

1.) totally stupid law

2.) it is basically a "pile on" charge. In otherwords, if the goon squad comes to visit you are probably in trouble for something else.

3.) It is a manufacturing violation.Vis-a-vis, If you bought it illegally constructed YOU did not break the law. The guy that put the parts on is.

4.) It is the burden of the prosecution to prove you broke the law, not the other way around.

5.) Many so called US mfg parts are not labeled as such and who is to say someone didn't just got happy with a stamp imprint??

6.) totally stupid law............but there are alot of those.

• 2 weeks later...
s far as I understand nobody has ever been prosecuted in relation to 922r.

1. no one has been charged EVER as far as the internet can show

169 F.Supp.2d 957 (N.D.Ind.,2001)

Victor Reid was charged in Indiana. It took me exactly 90 seconds to find that case on westlaw. That means there easily could be more. Will people please stop trying to claim no one has ever been charged or that it is a law that cannot be enforced.

.) It is a manufacturing violation.Vis-a-vis, If you bought it illegally constructed YOU did not break the law. The guy that put the parts on is.

One interpretation of the law is that sticking a magazine in counts for assembling the weapon. That is actually a fairly compelling legal argument given that the removable magazines are countable parts.

• Like 1

from what i read in that highroad post it seems it was a CORPORATION & that dude being charged for attatching bayonets to sks rifles which i assume they were SELLING. kind of not the same thing. and if thats all the internet can produce is this one mysterious incident then i think its settled

Eventually.

If you want to know how it could be confirmed that we did not just over stamp imported floor plates. The edges of mine have laser cutting burns on them, all the imported ones are blanked. And the out stamps are inch pattern rather than metric... If they are still not happy they can have the metal checked, its domestically made.

PS. You buy a 'made in usa' hand stamp from enco or MSC for about $45 to mark your own parts.. I have mine in a air stamp but you can just hit the back with a hammer (its how we used to do it).

• Like 1

SCC, are you hinting some folks may just put US markings on foreign parts?!

I can't believe people would play the system like that. /sarcasm

Honestly, (and this shows my lack of will to break the law) I never thought of anyone doing that.

if thats (sic) all the internet can produce is this one mysterious incident then i think its settled

Like I said it took me mere moments on westlaw to find that conviction. It is most easily found because it went up to the 7th circuit. I personally have not made an exhaustive search for convictions. District court convictions are not reported the same way. I sort of suspect no one has. Most people probably don't have the knowledge or resources to do it, and more over those that do likely do not have any inclination.

I would agree that there probably are not many convictions for 922r violations. However, that says absolutely nothing about the feasibility of future prosecutions. It may not even be a solid indicator of the future inclination of the powers that be to start pursuing such violations.

922r is a law that is more directed at persons engaged in the firearms business. Which is why it does not include possession as a crime, not saying that they would not convict anyone they can. Just that the primary motivation is to get businesses.

• Like 2