My Kushnapup conversion

Hi all:

I know more detailed write ups have been done on this, but I wanted to add my two cents and upload the final product. I still need to add a rail (waiting to see what Carolina Shooting supplies is offering for the rear sight rail) which I will have to take to a gunsmith since it is a bit beyond my capabilities and tooling that I have.

I took the suggestion from another board, and picked up a rubber stock cushion, cut out a slot for the upper tang and then screwed the butt plate onto the rubber cushion and the kushnapup stock.

This really is the absolute easiest setup I have ever done. Took be about 20 minute of fiddling and referring to online pictures since the instruction though ok, could use a bit more improvement. The Saiga 12 just drops right into the stock and everything fits.

I definitely recommend this conversion to anyone that want to make their shotgun into a bullpup set up. It feels great and the extension I added for the tang preservation does not really at least to me add that much more length to the setup.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

post-42488-0-63186700-1338315066_thumb.jpg

Hi all:

I know more detailed write ups have been done on this, but I wanted to add my two cents and upload the final product. I still need to add a rail (waiting to see what Carolina Shooting supplies is offering for the rear sight rail) which I will have to take to a gunsmith since it is a bit beyond my capabilities and tooling that I have.

I took the suggestion from another board, and picked up a rubber stock cushion, cut out a slot for the upper tang and then screwed the butt plate onto the rubber cushion and the kushnapup stock.

This really is the absolute easiest setup I have ever done. Took be about 20 minute of fiddling and referring to online pictures since the instruction though ok, could use a bit more improvement. The Saiga 12 just drops right into the stock and everything fits.

I definitely recommend this conversion to anyone that want to make their shotgun into a bullpup set up. It feels great and the extension I added for the tang preservation does not really at least to me add that much more length to the setup.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

So, what cushion did you buy? Can you send me the link please?

Just to be clear, you removed the plastic butt end cap and simply mounted it to the butt pad (cutting out a slot for the Tang to go through the end cap and into the butt pad)?

Have you shot it yet?

I was going to try this with the limb saver:

http://store.carolin...t-recoil/Detail

I am decent with tools and I am tempted to buy the Ultimak:

http://store.carolin...ga-12-20/Detail

I spoke to a sales person at Ultimak. He also recommended blue locktite.

Here is a video of someone fixing an improper gas tube hole. You can reference it to see how to grind down the bead sight and punch through. Running a drill bit then a tap and it should be good to go.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1JLON0xkSY[/media]

Also, can you measure the LOP for me please with this set up?

What is the distance from the trigger to the front forearm (distance straight across from trigger parallel to barrel is fine). I'm just trying to figure out if this will be comfortable.

Thank you!!!

Edited by pjd393

Hi all:

Thanks for your time.

Mike

Also, the Kushnapup sight lists the stock as 2 compliant 922r parts. I was going to get a muzzle brake and Tac 47 auto-plug (possibly an MD Arms gas puc) but I wanted to use the stock mags. I'm not sure if the Tac 47 + the MD = 2 parts. I believe it is only 1. What are you going to do to be compliant?

It's not what you add, its what you take off.

You have to remove the forearm and the stock. Interesting though, the Saiga still has the stock trigger in tact but the extension trigger for the Kush is U.S. made. Too bad the trigger wouldn't count also.

In regards to the video posted, thats not the exact correct way to fix the an undergassed gun. The ports should be drilled at an ANGLE slanting upward toward the buttstock. This allows fouling and shot to pass by the holes in the barrel without interference, and funnels debris away from the gas chamber. His method works, but it's technically incorrect. If you had to resize all your holes it would be worthless.

• Like 3

In regards to the video posted, thats not the exact correct way to fix the an undergassed gun. The ports should be drilled at an ANGLE slanting upward toward the buttstock. This allows fouling and shot to pass by the holes in the barrel without interference, and funnels debris away from the gas chamber. His method works, but it's technically incorrect. If you had to resize all your holes it would be worthless.

I'm thankful mine is perfectly aligned. I can see 3 easily and a partial of the fourth (mostly because of the angle I am looking at it with a flash light).

I have to get the gun to the range but I feel optimistic it will be well gassed. :)

MV> I picked up the cushion at a gun show here this weekend, cost $10. I believe it is a tapco, I have this one coming in:

http://www.midwayusa...-rubber-black

Looking at the picture and what I bought, they seem close enough but will have to wait and see if they are the same. The one I got at the show was not solid at it is meant to go over an AR adjustable stock I believe.

Just to be clear, you removed the plastic butt end cap and simply mounted it to the butt pad (cutting out a slot for the Tang to go through the end cap and into the butt pad)?

MV> Yes, that is what I did, also drilled two small holes on center using the buttplate as a guide through the rubber pad. I only had to cut a slot for the upper tang as the lower goes right agains the inside of the rubber pad.

Have you shot it yet?

MV> No, I plan on going to the range soon. This is the first thing I did after I got the shotgun.

MV> That would be my other option, but in this thread http://forum.saiga-1...ersonal-review/ msg #9 Carolina talks about a small rail that replaces the rear sight. I want to see what it is and how much, otherwise I will probably go with the Ultimak solution or in that same thread msg#31 which is something I could do.

MV> The original length from the buttstock to the trigger is 15 1/2" with the pad and buttplate installed, this increased to 17"

My LOP is closer to 15-16" but I find the setup comfortable as it is, and I preserve the tangs.

Thank you!!!

On you second message, I don't understand what you are asking, as all I have done is remove the original stock and fore grip and replaced it with the kush.

Your Welcome.

Mike

Edited by mavidal

Mike, were you at Henry's this past weekend testing out the Pup? my friend said he saw someone there shooting a Kushnapup.

Hi Sumsky, no, as I just finished it on Tuesday and the wife had me with the ball and chain all weekend long.

Mike

Snipped for brevity, PJD, I can confirm that the buttpad that I ordered from Midway is the same one that I got at the gun show.

Mike

Snipped for brevity, PJD, I can confirm that the buttpad that I ordered from Midway is the same one that I got at the gun show.

Mike

Thank you! Can you attach an e-mail link to this thread please?

I have been watching the butt pad conversions on the Kush from several forums and I like your the most by far! You seem to have enough cushion and it has a VERY stock look about it.

I'm a fanatic about modifications in the sense I want it to look as OEM as possible. I'm going to keep the Tang in tact on mine and I want a pad that absorbs as much recoil as possible while looking OEM.

Have you shot it yet? How is the recoil? I plan on using an autoplug eventually after I break it in a little.

I'm going to break the rifle in bone stock and if there are any problems I am going to send it in under warranty THEN modify it. ;)

Edited by pjd393
  • 1 month later...

If you guys keep showing these sweet looking set-ups like this I'm going to have to get one myself and I can't afford it. cry.gif

Don't have any more pics do you?

Squishy, they're killing me!! I have an unconverted 21" 308 and I am having a S^%T FIT!! I've got tosee about ordering a stock and getting up with reg at CSS. I KNEW there was a reason that I hadn't done a connversion on it yet!!greedy.gif

Hi all:

Thanks for your time.

Mike

Have you shot it yet?

I was going to try this with the limb saver:

http://store.carolin...t-recoil/Detail

I spoke to a sales person at Ultimak. He also recommended blue locktite.

Here is a video of someone fixing an improper gas tube hole. You can reference it to see how to grind down the bead sight and punch through. Running a drill bit then a tap and it should be good to go.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1JLON0xkSY[/media]

What is the distance from the trigger to the front forearm (distance straight across from trigger parallel to barrel is fine). I'm just trying to figure out if this will be comfortable.

Thank you!!!

The "technique" in this video is absolutely wrong. This guy is clueless and is a complete dumbass.

The block needs to be pulled and the ports need to be drilled at an angle like the factory ports. The Russians do not drill them at an angle for fun. They do nothing to these weapons for fun. It is done that way to minimize the debris that enters the gas block and fouls the puck.

Porting is easy stuff....

knock out 2 pins

pull the block

drill the ports

put the block back on

put the pins back in

There is no need to fubar the front sight.

It's not what you add, its what you take off.

You have to remove the forearm and the stock. Interesting though, the Saiga still has the stock trigger in tact but the extension trigger for the Kush is U.S. made. Too bad the trigger wouldn't count also.

It's not hard to make a Tapco FCG work in an unconverted weapon.

Just cut off the trigger lever from the Tapco, grind it flat & profile the hammer correctly.

You'd deffinately get the disconnector & Hammer for 2 compliance parts, The sear would be US made, but the factory trigger would still be russian, so you wouldn't gain the third if really scrutinized.

The "technique" in this video is absolutely wrong. This guy is clueless and is a complete dumbass.

The block needs to be pulled and the ports need to be drilled at an angle like the factory ports. The Russians do not drill them at an angle for fun. They do nothing to these weapons for fun. It is done that way to minimize the debris that enters the gas block and fouls the puck.

Porting is easy stuff....

knock out 2 pins

pull the block

drill the ports

put the block back on

put the pins back in

There is no need to fubar the front sight.

well if you just grind off the top half of the gas block it's even easier, fuck your way of doing it, just dremil that thing in half, get a set of dice (to determine how many holes to drill) and add some ports, as an added bonus your puck will never get dirty