Posted this in the sight section but realized that it may ger more feedback here than there, especially if people do like I do and have certain sections that they check more frequently.

On another forum a gentleman posted about a company that offers a rear sight mod for $35 and $5 shipping. I took a look at it and made a comment that I thought the service a tad overpriced, as all they do is widen the slot for faster target acquisition and round the rear outside corners of the blade.

Is this something that shooters would want, because I could add it to the services I have available, but at a much better price.

i would rather have it made into a v notch like express sights then have a brass or white bead on the front sight post, i modified my ruger no1 sights like that and they are fast as fuck, accurate too, i will probably end up adding a regular 3 leaf flip up express sight set, but v notched express sights are the way to go for under 100 yards using irons, you just cant beat it

I was of the same thought on the V versus just a wider slot. Personally I can't see just widening the slot, bringing the target and front sight into the V would be a more rapid way to acquire a good sight picture. I removed the rear sight on mine for scope clearance, I may experiment with it a bit.

Edited by mogunner

you can also use some glow paint or stickers to put a white line on the sight leaf. http://www.nitesiters .com I painted a white vertical line on the back of my IZ108 vent rib, and it makes aiming easier and faster for slugs. That plus the V notch like Keith has posted in other threads would seem a decent improvement to me. I would still rather have a peep site though.

I don't like the blade site at all, and use Krebs peeps myself. I'd rather spend a little more and get a the sight that works better for me.

As far as what he charges for the service. . .If people are paying the price listed it must not be too out of line.

• Like 1

I'd rather spend a little more and get a the sight that works better for me.

That is the answer to most of the posts on this site about what to buy. To many try and go the cheapest route possible.

Agreed. Seems like most of the time if you try to go the cheap route you end up spending more replacing the cheap fix.

I agree that some of the cheap crap out there is something that you should be able to just look at and see that it's just not going to do what you want it to do, but that doesn't keep a crapton of people from buying it. My sight tools that I make run about ten bucks less than the other ones out there, I'm thinking that might be a factor. Buyers just aren't used to finding a good deal that's just that, and shipping included in the price seems to throw a lot of them off. I guess that's just the difference in a guy who's doing it as a hobby and a business that's trying to crank them out at a high profit margin.

I would rather take my AK to an appleseed shoot and learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. Because they are close to free, and people are always worried about mods instead of learning how to shoot properly.

Sign the dotted line. FUNdamentals are free. When you get over with the fun, you can start to modify your weapons. Not too many newbies on here that just want to modify shit. Mostly old pipe hitters who want shit to work exactly as they expect it to.

Personally, unless I put on PBS/RPK/night sights, I would not mess with the originals. Why would I? They're beautiful as is.

I have the funny russian rail rib. Noticed the drunk russians used them a lot and ended up getting one of the first imported saigas from kalashnikov usa in florida. Wide open blades in the back with a simple brass ball on the post up front. It isn't the easiest thing to adjust but is stays there. The rib is really perfect with the shotgun.

How is the new standard configuration? Any problems getting it on target? I always have a little problem with reference when I have a blurred up rear sight

Personally, unless I put on PBS/RPK/night sights, I would not mess with the originals. Why would I? They're beautiful as is.

I have the funny russian rail rib. Noticed the drunk russians used them a lot and ended up getting one of the first imported saigas from kalashnikov usa in florida. Wide open blades in the back with a simple brass ball on the post up front. It isn't the easiest thing to adjust but is stays there. The rib is really perfect with the shotgun.

How is the new standard configuration? Any problems getting it on target? I always have a little problem with reference when I have a blurred up rear sight

I'm not sure that I know about the kind of sight that you describe at first. Sounds familiar though.

If by 'new standard' configuration you mean the way that Saigas are imported these days, then its okay. It appears to be just regular rear sights. The notch is the same size and all as on a Polish AKM that I have laying around. The rear sight adjusts via slider that has a button on one side.

The notch is not too wide, and the gaps between the rear sight/front sight post look like about 1mm when aimed. No real problem with getting it on paper if all other conditions are good. The two 'ears' on the front sight help me with the blurred rear sight when aiming.

One of the reasons why I like this type of sight is because it lines up in a straight line. None of this 'lining up a post with a circle' stuff like on my AR. I also like the fact that it magically lines up perfectly every time that I shoulder the rifle with a standard stock.

• Like 1