For those who are bored .... muzzle brake or flash hider opinions ....

Ok, I plan on doing a Kush conversion so a brake could help a bit. I first started looking at a flash hider just to count as 1 part for 922r compliance.

Now, that being said, the *only* real benefit of a flash hider vs. the brake would be using it in the dead of night and not being blinded by the flash of the muzzle if I had to use it. So, I feel reducing the recoil is more important than the flash hider (speak up if you feel differently).

Brakes: I'm not going to kill zombies or breach a door.

1st or 2nd choice: SGM Gunner or Pro. LOVE the look! Clean! Are they effective?

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/sgm-tactical-saiga-12-muzzle-brake-the-gunner-p-460.html?zenid=1add4c4ef5425b124b67d8e6acfa3a1a

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/sgm-tactical-saiga-12-muzzle-brake-the-pro-p-461.html?zenid=1add4c4ef5425b124b67d8e6acfa3a1a

3rd choice: "classic bird cage"! LOVE this look and it seems the best of both worlds but my logic is that the braking wouldn't be THAT effective. Has anyone noticed ANY effective braking with this? I am a sucker for an old school OEM look.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-182/SAIGA-12-DPH-FLASH/Detail

4th choice: Mini-monster brake would work well but my wife wants to shoot this and I think 7.5 oz hanging on the end of the rifle might be a bit much. I'm more concerned about the rear angled vents while shooting the Kush but I do LOVE this and may buy it any way.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1356/Tromix-Monster-Mini-Brake/Detail

Thoughts?

The monster break is designed with recoil reduction and muzzle filp as it's primary purpose. So if your wife can already shoulder a 12ga without complaing..i doubt the 7.5 ounces will be noticed.

She has not shot one yet. smile.png She is not my *primary* concern though. Actually I think it would work great on a Kush because it is shorter. Edited by pjd393

I have the full Monster and on a bull pup the weight wouldnt be a big deal let alone the mini. I have it mid barrel and the back blast is getting annoying, something to consider with that type of brake and a shorter gun.

Edited by romad7

The monster is the only one of those that hase any appeal to me. SGM just looks cheap to me, and tacked on. If you just want something on the end for looks, and cheap, MD 10 slot is the choice I would go for. I always plug Cobra/ AK builder choke adapter though, as the most functional and clean looking thing for the end.

Oh and the monster is the only one of those that will do any breaking that you can feel. Even for the effective breaks, only expect a perceptible difference with heavy loads.

• Like 1

The monster is the only one of those that hase any appeal to me. SGM just looks cheap to me, and tacked on. If you just want something on the end for looks, and cheap, MD 10 slot is the choice I would go for. I always plug Cobra/ AK builder choke adapter though, as the most functional and clean looking thing for the end.

Oh and the monster is the only one of those that will do any breaking that you can feel. Even for the effective breaks, only expect a perceptible difference with heavy loads.

This PRECISELY the kind of feedback I was hoping for. THANK YOU!

I was concerned that anything less than a Monster would have little to no affect. That being the case (from what you are inferring), the MD 10 slot, to me, is the best economical and aesthetic solution. I love the looks, the weight and the fact it is short (I'm going to get the short version probably). I'll also check out the choke. It would be nice to have the option to choke it - flexibility is always good!

THANK YOU!

Welcome. Give this a serious look before you click "buy" http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/43443-s-12-winchoke-adapters/

I think it is about the handiest thing you can have on the end and doesn't look like you are "compensating" for anything.

I have been demoing some prototype brakes similar to the Molot GK 01 that another member made, and they are impressive with the heavy loads. I still find that I want that tight pattern though.

Don't hold your breath on getting a slotted model. He does seem to be swamped lately, but waiting a few weeks to get the right thing rather than having a mere decoration right now might be worth it.

He'll come out with others styles when he does and no sooner. I've been wanting a '74 brake that takes chokes for a while, and will probably trade out the flash hider on my other gun when Cobra has time to make them. That could be next month or 2 years.

In the mean time, the ability to take standard winchokes is a huge plus.

Other people are happy with poly chokes, some of which have the slots you want, so there is that option as well. They are basically a collet, and some have brakes/hiders that look very much like the SGM ones you linked above.

I won't tell you what to do because it is a matter of taste and your needs. If it were me, and I had the cash, the choice would be between Cobra choke, MD hider for cheap good looks ($30 at MAA), and tromix mini monster for damping. If you want huge damping at huge cost, then there are other choices.

I have several muzzle attachments and I tend to not even use them. The added weight just dosent make sense to me unless you are gaining something.(ie.flash reduction, recoil reduction) I am thinking about getting the Cobra choke adapter. It just makes the most sense to me. I have done business with him several times and I think he is a great guy.

• Like 1

I have the full size monster brake on mine. The barrel itself is cut down to about 14 inches. The recoi. l is greatly reduced. The only thing I think that may be a concern for you is the "blowjob" you get from the brake. This is the gas coming back @ you from the brake. For me the trade off is worth it. Its easier to acquire and stay on target. This may scare the wife a little but I'm sure she would get over it if you let her shoot without it.

I agree with GunFun. I just bought a MD 10 slot long flash hider, and I love it. I am going to be silver soldering it on after a barrel cutdown to get me right at 18.25'' soon. Those things look like they were supposed to come on the gun from the factory!

• 1 month later...

I've run both a brake and flash I started with the JTE Competition brake and it was great at recoil reduction but adds damn near 3" to the muzzle and I like to keep OAL a little less so I went with the claw flash hider breached one wicked ass looking thing with an OAL of 4" but only adds 1" to the end of the muzzle wich I like and did I say wicked looking yet recoil isn't an issue with me I prefer the look over function on a shotty unless I'm shooting skeet or competition wich I have other tools for