I saw recently that there were some Hungarian AMD-65s floating around for what is a fairly inexpensive price for AK variants. I have become a de facto variant collector so I feel a certain compulsion to take the bait....plus I like the way it looks....

I haven't seen much regarding these models other than a couple of youtube vids and comments that the are LOUD (well duh). Any horror stories? Caveats?

Encouragement to buy one right away? smile.png

Edited by DropKick867

Yes they are currently a hot deal. Many people just don't like the ergonomics and looks.

Look for the TGI-imported FEG rifles. They are factory-built in Hungary, original proper-length chrome-lined barrel. They can be SBRed if you want, but you only lose a couple inches so it's not really worth it. There are some older AMD-65 kit rifles floating around as well, but generally the ones that are available now will be from FEG.

• Like 1

Like above, get the one from TGI. They are built using Hungarian FEG SA2000 receivers that's been modified to accept double stack mags. Barrels are original CHF chrome lined barrels. The stock IS surprisingly comfortable but no cheek weld due to the rubber buttpad built-in to the folding stock. It's UGLY as sin but badass at the same time, especially with the right accessories. It's one of those that you pretty much learn to love. I sold more expensive AKs and kept my AMD-65. Shooting it is a blast - literally. The forward grip helps keep your hand from burning up if you do drum dumps.

If you want cheek weld, AMD65TECH.com or apexgunparts.com sells a custom cheek bridge that's rubber lined.

• 2 weeks later...

A really sweet set-up there, Ice man..

I like the idea of a trunk gun, but here in T-town I'm a little more concerned about some yahoo getting into the trunk while I'm finding out that Wally-World stopped stocking every single item in their inventory that might ever be of use to anyone, anywhere, ever.......sorry....rant over.......on the other hand, it would definitely come in handy the next time I'm at the pump and the bangers decide to shoot up the QuikTrip parking lot at 10am in the morning one block from my office.....

....as Coach says in the L4D2 opener, "This used to be a nice neighborhood!"

Maybe I'll trunk that gun after all......or the Draco......

Tracking says that my AMD-65 waits now at the FFL while I'm looking out my hotel window watching amazingly huge commercial aircraft take off from Narita...

We'll snag it ASAP. Meanwhile, I broke down and ordered the AMD-65 Tech stock adapter, UTG AMD-65 quad-rail jim-jam, some other highly recommended tactical foregrip w/ super-cool battery storage and pressure-switch mounting areas R/L.....

....if the weapon isn't a complete send-back....it oughta be a hoot!!!!

Picked up mine about 4pm yesterday and it looks freaking great! Really happy with it !

The finish, such as it is, is good; it even came with the little cleaning and maintenance kit. It also has a cleaning rod which completes the profile really well, even though its removal is blocked by the suppresor spot weld. Not a prob; wasn't gonna ever use it to clean the gun anyway.

The folder-stock was SUPER stiff. I had to google around to figure out how to work it. The release button would NOT budge at first and I thought it was just a screw necessary because of the trunion design....

All I had on hand was a little 3-in-1 oil that I use on my bicycle. A couple of drops of that got it un-stuck. I'll get some better stuff tomorrow.

I managed to sleep for 3 hours after a 36 hour yesterday of sitting in airports and airplanes and figured I'd post since I'm up....if I can last unitl the range opens in 6 hours, I'll test it out tomorrow.

All the mod parts except for the AMDTech stock adapter have already arrived.

Anyone know how to get the pistol grip off? (Not the foregrip one; I mean the trigger one...)

I just used a screwdriver on both pistol grips. I removed the front pistol grip and put an ergo grip on the back. I'm going to mount a picatinny rail on the bottom of the factory forearm. ultimak makes a rail that replaces the front gas tube that i might get to throw an optic. it looks like a red dot on there will cowitness with the factory sights. I'll get some pictures today. with the new pistol grip and front grip removed the gun looks really clean.

Anyone know how to get the pistol grip off? (Not the foregrip one; I mean the trigger one...)

im assuming you have the plastic grips, there is a little pin on the side at the bottom of the grip that you have to punch out to get the bottom off and expose the screw

here she is. i didn't like the factory pistol grips so i replaced the rear grip and put a picatiny rail on the forearm. I'll put a short vertical grip on when i get one. i took it out to the range today and am really happy with it.

photobucket-35053-1339804469383.jpg

i didn't realize how bad the shadows are in the pic till i saw them on here. i'm terrible at taking pics.

• 2 weeks later...

By way of updates:

Ok, here is the obligatory, out-of-box, nothing we haven't seen before pic:

AMD 65 Before

And here is the final product after the mods (except for a 30 round mag. No rush):

AMD 65 Pics 002

Its got the AMD-65 Tech stock adapter, UTG Quad-Rail, A brand-I-can't-Remeber vertical foregrip with battery storage and pressure-switch areas....and then the Hogue rubber pistol grip. That had to have a little quarter-circle trimmed out of the back edge to accomodate the stock release button....but it don't hurt the looks of it none nor the grip neither...

By way of updates:

Ok, here is the obligatory, out-of-box, nothing we haven't seen before pic:

And here is the final product after the mods (except for a 30 round mag. No rush):

Its got the AMD-65 Tech stock adapter, UTG Quad-Rail, A brand-I-can't-Remeber vertical foregrip with battery storage and pressure-switch areas....and then the Hogue rubber pistol grip. That had to have a little quarter-circle trimmed out of the back edge to accomodate the stock release button....but it don't hurt the looks of it none nor the grip neither...

How do you like that cheek riser? Is it comfortable?

It still a wire stock w/ the riser, but it is much more comfortable than just using a chin-weld on the original wire stock and improves your ability to get a decent sighting by about a jillion percent...

It has a thin, rubber covering on it to prevent slippage as well.

I still haven't had a chance to shoot the thing yet, but the riser is a must-have on this gun for my own damn self anyway.

If you get one, mount it offset just a touch to the left so you can still fold the stock all the way.

i ordered one of the krebs adapters so i can throw an ace on the back. i didn't order the folding mechanism for the ace yet. i should have some pics of it this week.

Does the Krebs adapter need a folding mech as well?

I assumed (maybe wrongly) that it worked with the folding mech built into the AMD's trunion...

Another awesome looking accesory from Krebs in any case.

• 4 months later...

The AMD 65 is the ultimate AK in my opinion. It's as light as a Draco. It is as maneuverable as any rifle out there. It's ugly but tough. The stock looks painful, but it's surprisingly comfortable.

It's long overdue, but I just picked up my second!

Quick, now bury one.

I just put one on layaway. Gonna add an amdtech welded stock, keep the original pristine. Then get the Hogue grip and forearm. Add an ultimak, micro red dot, 20 round tapco mag, should be a pretty nice, light package.

I looked at the popular Midwest Industries railed forearm, but I don't wanna add a lot of weight. Defeats the rifles purpose IMO. I have a saiga-m 22" with bipod and posp if I want to bring a heavy rifle.

If the price ever drops after the panic buying, I may get another for an AMD 63 repro project.

Been shopping for a long muzzle device, but haven't found one I like yet. Seen one on aluminum, dunno if that's any good for a working gun tho.

Edited by mostholycerebus

Has anyone replaced those stupid loud muzzle brakes with something more useful, like a long flash suppressor? God forbid you ever have to fire one of those things without hearing protection.

Coming from someone called Thunderstruck...LMAO!

There's nothing wrong with the ones it comes with.

• Like 1

Has anyone replaced those stupid loud muzzle brakes with something more useful, like a long flash suppressor? God forbid you ever have to fire one of those things without hearing protection.

You could try this one on the left. 5 1/2" long.

This one on the right may be long enough.

post-19600-0-09896900-1353394601.jpg

post-19600-0-43743700-1353394792.jpg

Edited by King of the Hill