Krebs Aftermarket Safety

Anyone have one of these on their shotgun? Is it true that this will hold the bold open and forgive my ignorance I would assume this process makes loading a full mag easier and ranges masters feel more at ease? Please let me know.post-41636-0-57101400-1339775514.jpg

Edited by BOB A. BOOEY

Hello

They will, but so will that little thingie near your trigger, or your existing safety with a bit of Dremolition.

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

I thought about the Dremelition but I also like the tab at the bottom that allows you to keep you hands on your pistol grip. Is there work to be done that makes the safety softer and easier to engage?

Bending the safety out from the receiver a tiny bit will make it move a tad bit easier.

The Krebs is the cleanest looking of all these types of safeties on the aftermarket, IMO.

I have an extra Krebs safety for sale if you're interested. Its new in package.

Do be aware there are 2 variations on the Krebs safety lever - the Mk-VI and the MK-VI S. The MK-VI S is for the Saiga rifles and shotguns, the main difference being that the rounded bump is further down on the end of the lever so you won't have a second scratch after replacing the lever.

• Like 1

This topic is of great interest to me. I was at a gun show recently and a local smith had his personal AK there and after obtaining permission I handled it and noticed how smooth and easy his safety worked. He told me he'd gotten the lever at Brownells (I don't want to post a link but search "AK Safety" and it will come up). The manufacturer showed as being "Power Custom" and at first I thought it might have been made by Krebs or someone else and rebranded but after doing some research I found that Power Custom is a legit company.

As I'm left handed my idea was to add the easier operating safety and on the end of the shaft that is exposed on the left side of the receiver, tap a hole and add a lever or some kind of AR type safety switch. This would allow me to operate the safety and with the notch for BHO I could hold the bolt back at the same time without moving my left hand from the pistol grip. I did try bending the stock lever out some on my MAK90 just to test it out and I found it returned to a real tight fit just like it had been. I didn't want to push it too much so I'm not saying this won't work.

• Like 1

I have one and love it. I can easily manipulate the safety with my index/trigger finger. I also got rid of the BHO when I converted the gun and just use the notch in the Krebs. Only problem is, since its for an AKM it will leave a second streak on the receiver. I don't give a damn about that though, but some people are OCD about that.

I say buy it, you will love it.

Have one, love it, and I won't have any other type of safety lever on any other AK.

I have one and love it. I can easily manipulate the safety with my index/trigger finger. I also got rid of the BHO when I converted the gun and just use the notch in the Krebs. Only problem is, since its for an AKM it will leave a second streak on the receiver. I don't give a damn about that though, but some people are OCD about that.

I say buy it, you will love it.

Ok, two glowing recommendations. I think I'm sold on the idea, especially for my new, yet to be converted S12. Another thing I'm curious about, obviously the intention with the original design is that by pressing on the side of the receiver, i.e. the thing that makes it a bitch to move from one position to the other (unless stops are added so it never goes off the top or bottom) is the pressure which also keeps the lever up or down in a secure way. Is the fact the aftermarket part moves so easily a non issue with regard to the safety changing positions unintentionally? What provides resistance to keep it on or off? This may seem somewhat anal but it is a "Safety" after all.

It has a little tit on it just like the original safety. With mine, the stop that is attached to the trigger guard stops it in the down position and the dust cover stops it in the up position (or the bolt when being used as a safety/bolt hold open)..

I did a little filing to mine, both with the little groove that holds the bolt, and I trimmed the area behind the bolt at an angle so that I can rack the bolt straight back to chamber a round but still be "safe".

I'll see about taking some pics tonight and getting them uploaded to better illustrate what I am talking about.

Who knows, maybe I'll shoot a video if I'm feelin' frisky!!! Look out everybody! lol!

Edited by Caged

Looking forward to the input. I'm fairly sure I'm going to go with it. I'm hoping tapping the shaft on the left side and adding a lever is doable as this will be a good thing for my left handed ass..

This topic is of great interest to me. I was at a gun show recently and a local smith had his personal AK there and after obtaining permission I handled it and noticed how smooth and easy his safety worked. He told me he'd gotten the lever at Brownells (I don't want to post a link but search "AK Safety" and it will come up). The manufacturer showed as being "Power Custom" and at first I thought it might have been made by Krebs or someone else and rebranded but after doing some research I found that Power Custom is a legit company.

As I'm left handed my idea was to add the easier operating safety and on the end of the shaft that is exposed on the left side of the receiver, tap a hole and add a lever or some kind of AR type safety switch. This would allow me to operate the safety and with the notch for BHO I could hold the bolt back at the same time without moving my left hand from the pistol grip. I did try bending the stock lever out some on my MAK90 just to test it out and I found it returned to a real tight fit just like it had been. I didn't want to push it too much so I'm not saying this won't work.

Theres a guy in MD that makes these special. Heres the video URL. Pretty cool if youre a lefty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xid3G7KF9Zg&feature=player_embedded

Do be aware there are 2 variations on the Krebs safety lever - the Mk-VI and the MK-VI S. The MK-VI S is for the Saiga rifles and shotguns, the main difference being that the rounded bump is further down on the end of the lever so you won't have a second scratch after replacing the lever.

Yeah I ordered the shotgun model from CSS. Im putting those guys' kids through college. LOL.

It looks like all this guy did (I might be wrong) was take a Krebs Custom Saiga Sporting Configuration Safety, cut it and added a tab (and $61 to the price). Looks like even a no fabbin mook like me could do something like this.

post-41803-0-91044200-1339963267.jpg

To update this post I did some searching around and found the thread from the Maryland Shooters forum where the guy who did this posted. It seems he did use the Krebs Sporting Safety and took a tab called the "Solar Tactical AK Extended Safety Selector Tab" and welded it on rather than riveting like it is originally configured. These tabs were designed apparently to add to the stock safety which is effectively the same thing as the Krebs safeties with the bottom tab made into the safety lever. This guy did some good thinking by adding the tab to the part of the Sporting safety that protrudes rearward so it works well for lefties. I guess I'll be adding this to my three AK platform weapons. And the guy is a gunsmith with all his contact info in each of his posts if someone wanted to get in touch.

Edited by Squishy

I've got one on every ak type weapon I own, and wouldn't have any other kind of safety for them. To me, it's one of the best aftermarket upgrades you can have.

When you say "one" are you talking about the standard Krebs safety or the one modded for lefties?

Sorry man, our TV crapped out this weekend so I've been busy replacing the giant projection screen with a giant flat screen and stand (for that much cash I could've had another S-12...) and then we had to go visit my folks for father's day. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow...

It looks like all this guy did (I might be wrong) was take a Krebs Custom Saiga Sporting Configuration Safety, cut it and added a tab (and $61 to the price). Looks like even a no fabbin mook like me could do something like this.

post-41803-0-91044200-1339963267.jpg

To update this post I did some searching around and found the thread from the Maryland Shooters forum where the guy who did this posted. It seems he did use the Krebs Sporting Safety and took a tab called the "Solar Tactical AK Extended Safety Selector Tab" and welded it on rather than riveting like it is originally configured. These tabs were designed apparently to add to the stock safety which is effectively the same thing as the Krebs safeties with the bottom tab made into the safety lever. This guy did some good thinking by adding the tab to the part of the Sporting safety that protrudes rearward so it works well for lefties. I guess I'll be adding this to my three AK platform weapons. And the guy is a gunsmith with all his contact info in each of his posts if someone wanted to get in touch.

Its looks as though he does good work but his pricing is way high. I wouldnt take anything up there. I think this is $75 for this set up.

I've got one on every ak type weapon I own, and wouldn't have any other kind of safety for them. To me, it's one of the best aftermarket upgrades you can have.

When you say "one" are you talking about the standard Krebs safety or the one modded for lefties?

Just the standard Krebs. I was more or less just responding to the OP's post. I'd never heard of the other guy's modded safety.

I'm right handed, so it's a great solution for me... for a lefty.. you'd need a big ass thumb.