New York Times article about Izhmash sales in the United States

Hello,

My name is Andrew Kramer. I am a reporter with the New York Times based in Moscow, Russia. I recently visited the Izhmash factory in Izhevsk, Russia, for an article about the company's sales of civilian firearms. They say their sales in the United States are rising. I would be interested in speaking to an American owner of a Saiga rifle or shotgun. The questions would be: how do Saiga products compare to other AK style rifles? Why did the buyer choose a Saiga? I am also interested in the view of the Russian factory. Is it a plus or a minus that the weapon was made at the original factory that makes AK rifles for the Russian army? I would like to speak on the phone for about 5 minutes with three or four owners of Saiga products. As a bonus, I can convey my impressions of the Izhmash factory and the conversation with its general director, who is probably the most knowledgable man on earth about AK guns.

Thank you,

Andrew

• Like 3

Hello,

Why did the buyer choose a Saiga?

1. factory new AK's.

2. russian made

3. easily converted into the original configuration

4. best bang for your buck.

5. easy as hell to work on (if need be)

Izhmash produces some of the worlds greatest weapons. i like the saigas for the reasons i stated above.

• Like 5

I chose a Saiga rifle because I could build it the way I want instead of buying a rifle that I will have to spend even more money on replacing parts. Saiga rifles are of better quality than anything you will find in their price range (which is going up as it seems...). Another reason is that I enjoy the conversion process and tinkering in general.

• Like 1

The questions would be:

-how do Saiga products compare to other AK style rifles?

I view Saiga products as good quality. Compared to other styled rifles, in its origional configuration, its as Captain Hero said, the best bang for your buck.

-Why did the buyer choose a Saiga?

I wanted a Saiga 12 and vepr wasnt over here in the US at the time so Saiga was my easy option.

-I am also interested in the view of the Russian factory. Is it a plus or a minus that the weapon was made at the original factory that makes AK rifles for the Russian army?

Defiantly a Plus!
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum Andrew. You are doing a fine thing here by getting the people buying these guns, directly in touch with the people in charge of building them. I for one would be happy to speak with you.

Thank you.

• Like 4

Izhmash - because it is the original! Every thing else is a copy.

that would be an awsome bumper sticker G O B!

Andrew, dont forget to let us know when you publish the article. and like Cobra said, welcome to the forum!

i enjoy these kinds of threads.

• Like 1

I've set E. Kramer an inquiry at the NYTimes. Let's see if he responds to it in an official capacity.

If not, you guys just wasted your time with a troll.

is ok. ive wasted time on far worse shit in the past. laugh.png

• Like 1

Totally legitimate. Thanks for the confirmation.

I own a Saiga because many of the AK format rifles here in America are built on parts kits. A parts kit is a cut up de-militarized weapon that has had the receiver cut up and made inoperable. It is then shipped over and put back together with American parts. It works but isn't always as dependable as a Saiga sporting rifle.

The Saiga has all Russian made parts in it. They are very dependable and the price is great. A Benelli shotgun cost twice as much as the Saiga and does the same thing.

The saiga is made in an Arsenal that uses the same quality control of military weapons in their civilian production. The rifles and shotguns are very dependable and affordable. A working man's rifle.

At their introduction, they were around 250 usd. Now they are demanding up to 600 usd for the same rifle.

The popularity in these weapons has sky rocketed because of the legal 922r conversions that can be done to move the sporting stock and trigger control into it's intended configuration. It's as close as we can get to a real AK due to import bans on so called assault rifles.

The Saiga 12ga shotgun is their flagship product. Nobody in the industry offers such a versatile and dependable shotgun.

Good luck with your article.

N

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 10

This is the best thread I have seen on this forum in a long time and I have to agree with everything that AZG and Stryker0946 said. I have several S-12's and a S-.410 and in the past a S-20 and a S-308 so I have shot and worked on many a Saiga products( Not as many as Corba) and I love all the Saiga lines the only thing I feel that the company could do to help improve there sales of the shotgun line is to offer spare parts(i.e. bolts and carriers) and factory 8rd and 10rd mags thru the importers instead of having to order them from england (rusmilitary.com).

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

The "Grey Lady" has not had much to say about guns in it's history except "they are bad".

My apprehension exactly. I didn't want to throw a wet blanket on the thread though.

A lot of honest input has been given here in good faith, I just hope the article is fair and objective.

This is the best thread I have seen on this forum in a long time and I have to agree with everything that AZG and Stryker0946 said. I have several S-12's and a S-.410 and in the past a S-20 and a S-308 so I have shot and worked on many a Saiga products( Not as many as Corba) and I love all the Saiga lines the only thing I feel that the company could do to help improve there sales of the shotgun line is to offer spare parts(i.e. bolts and carriers) and factory 8rd and 10rd mags thru the importers instead of having to order them from england (rusmilitary.com).

Schultze has very good points about the spare parts (dont forget the wood). There is a massive market for them.

Another great advantage of the Saiga over other Aks......we have alot of good gunsmiths and a few Masters that can make them into a thing of beauty.....

post-22193-0-11681200-1341517011_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The "Grey Lady" has not had much to say about guns in it's history except "they are bad".

My apprehension exactly. I didn't want to throw a wet blanket on the thread though.

A lot of honest input has been given here in good faith, I just hope the article is fair and objective.

points well taken. no wet blanket thrown. time will tell if the writer will keep things honest. i trust no one in the media world, but there is a first time for everything. but like i said, time will tell. i can only hope that it will not be filled with biased opinion. we'll see.

but then again, it surely wont be the first time things of this nature have been done. ill wait for the final article before i take a final stance.

ETA:

but in regards to the OP,

gary20busey.jpg

i hope that you run your article and shine some light into the world of these great guns, and that they are not infact "evil" like so many morons tend to think.

Edited by Captain Hero

I hear ya. I'm not casting aspersions on the author of the OP. There is a writer who sits in Russia and works for NYT. If the OP person is not a poseur and is the NYT person he is aware that NYT will never be confused with the PR arm of NRA.

He would also know that if he wrote a piece on the merits of Saiga and impact on Russian economy etc. the editors might turn it into a hit-piece about fringe crazies that abuse 922R to create terrible "assault rifles".

• Like 1

He did register here and ask for input and I assume by now has talked to someone by phone. None of this would be required to write a "hit-piece". And, the fact is that the article submitted to an editor is not always the same article that makes it to print. Selective editing and deletions can change how any written piece reads. Also anything Andrew submits could become part of a larger article or series of articles.

It's not Andrew's intentions I have apprehensions about, it is the intention of his publisher and it's not just overall MSM paranoia, it's the track record of this specific publication. I guess we'll see.

but in regards to the OP....

Damn that's funny, in fact when I saw your photo in the picture thread I though "There's a long lost Busey Brother...." I bet you've heard that before..

• Like 1

He did register here and ask for input and I assume by now has talked to someone by phone. None of this would be required to write a "hit-piece". And, the fact is that the article submitted to an editor is not always the same article that makes it to print. Selective editing and deletions can change how any written piece reads. Also anything Andrew submits could become part of a larger article or series of articles.

It's not Andrew's intentions I have apprehensions about, it is the intention of his publisher and it's not just overall MSM paranoia, it's the track record of this specific publication. I guess we'll see.

I don't disagree. This could also be in response to all the people who are buying firearms these days. I know quite a few people who, not too long ago, would not even consider buying one. "The times they are a chang-in"?

• Like 2

Thank you for your answers. The focus of the story is the re-orientation of the Izhmash factory from military to civilian firearms. They still make Kalashnikov rifles for the Russian army. But Saigas are selling well, particularly in the United States, and an increasingly important part of their business, particularly as the factory is making few military rifles as it re-tools for a new military version, to be called the AK-12. (for the year, not a shotgun gauge.) I have agreed to speak with one member of the forum. However, I would like also to speak to others. In particular, Squishy, Stryker or Captain Hero, but all are welcome. I am in particular interested in speaking to an owner who is not a professional dealer or modifier of Saiga rifles or shotguns. My email address is andkramer@gmail.com. Thank you again

• Like 1

In order to understand the general consensus and not just the opinion of an individual, I would think you would speak to many, including those who modify for a living. Makes sense to me for the Izhmash factory to overall opinion\data to understand how to make thier business grow faster.....but then again just my two cents.......

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers. The focus of the story is the re-orientation of the Izhmash factory from military to civilian firearms. They still make Kalashnikov rifles for the Russian army. But Saigas are selling well, particularly in the United States, and an increasingly important part of their business, particularly as the factory is making few military rifles as it re-tools for a new military version, to be called the AK-12. (for the year, not a shotgun gauge.) I have agreed to speak with one member of the forum. However, I would like also to speak to others. In particular, Squishy, Stryker or Captain Hero, but all are welcome. I am in particular interested in speaking to an owner who is not a professional dealer or modifier of Saiga rifles or shotguns. My email address is andkramer@gmail.com. Thank you again

ill talk to ya, but if your a fed, ill send you on a wild goose chase....000.gif

j/k.

ill drop ya a pm.

this oughtta be interesting.....

but keep in mind, many members here are well respected and know their shit. im no better than ANY of the others. but i dont have anything to hide, and will gladly answer your questions. but i cant be rude and deny you the chance to speak with me. im not a rude prick, just a patriotic asshole! laugh.png

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 2

but in regards to the OP....

Damn that's funny, in fact when I saw your photo in the picture thread I though "There's a long lost Busey Brother...." I bet you've heard that before..

its ok man. sadly, it could always be worse my friend.big_smile.gif

Hey Andrew, how does it make you feel knowing that NY is under the control of people who have personally spearheaded crusades across this country to paint firearm ownership and sales in a bad light? Or that NYC is so unfriendly in general towards firearm ownership? Do the statistics showing reduced crime rates where firearm ownership is higher in this country raise any issues with New Yorkers who seek to own their own? Just asking...