Tips For cleaning neglected barrel?

Like the topic says. I have found that I spend too much time cleaning my SGL31 after shooting because of the corrosive and never really touching my S12. I only have been cleaning the puck area every couple hundred rounds.I have shot about 100 slugs in the past month so I decided it is time to give this baby a detail clean. The barrel looks bad.

All I have really done is spray with CLP and boresnaked which has not accomplished much. There is still really bad streaks around the gas ports.

I remember reading about someone pluging the barrel and puting some formula inside.

Thanks for the help

Ok, two methods work. A mild polish like JB Bore Paste, used according to instructions, will whip that out.

Or, SOAK a wad in Hoppe's 9, swab the hell out of it, plug the ends, pour some in, and let sit overnight.

Hoppe's 9, and I guess the copper solvent version, are as strong as I go....I just let them sit.

When i first bought my sks, she was absolutely filthy.. I used RemOil, WD-40, Carburator Cleaner and good old fashioned scraping for about 2 hours, which made a dent but wasn't nearly enough.. So I finally decided to boil all metal (barrel included), sprayed it off, changed the water, and repeated 2 more times. Now she's clean, running well, and only ever needs a regular cleaning with some RemOil and the stock cleaning kit she comes with. A little bit of heat goes a long way. Now, I'm not saying that boiling your barrel is a good idea but it worked good for me and barrels are designed for high heat.

Get some Chore Boy scrubbing pads, the all copper type. Cut some off and wrap it around a 12 ga bore brush for a really tight fit. This will clean out the lead from the slugs easily. Will also take plastic fouling out. Works well for pistol bores that are leaded up, too.

NEVER use copper solvent on a chrome lined barrel. If there are any tiny flaws in the chrome, the solvent will attack the plaing under the chrome (it's usually copper) and you'll ruin it

1. Plug the breech

2. Fill with 50/50 Balistol and water

3. Let soak overnight

4. Clean normally

NEVER use copper solvent on a chrome lined barrel. If there are any tiny flaws in the chrome, the solvent will attack the plaing under the chrome (it's usually copper) and you'll ruin it

1. Plug the breech

2. Fill with 50/50 Balistol and water

3. Let soak overnight

4. Clean normally

Ballistol is good stuff. I use it on everything. I dont mix it with water tho.

I shoot a LOT of slug, the barrel is easy to clean, however the rifled choke is another story.

The wad plastic gets glued to the damn thing, now dont laugh, Acetone soak does the trick.

I would not do this on a painted part. I take the choke off to soak.