Does anyone or has anyone actually owned an AK I'm not talking about all of the variants I'm talking about an original automatic Kalashnikov 1947 wich is the one and only true AK in my eyes I bet one would be worth a small fortune I have had my hands on a few over seas the Afghan national army had alot from when russia was over there. but i have never ran across one here at home I'm sure there out there though.

What do you actually mean? Do you ONLY include the shitty Type 1 stamped rifles made with inferior steel that fell to shit in short order, or do you mean the Type 2 or Type 3 milled guns?

• Like 2

No, the ones Mikhail K. blessed with the blood of Lenin and made out of Captain America's shield. The flawless ones that can never jam or wear out! They shoot the one true bullet-- 7.62x39.

• Like 3

I'm talking the solid milled receiver types I figured that they would be up there in price I'm not looking to purchase one I was just wondering if anyone here in the states has seen any floating around I was a t knob creek machine gun shoot a few years back and thought I saw one on the fireing line but wasn't sure

there are amnesty registered ones out there ( the real deal AK-47 made in mother Russia or china), they are pretty scarce, they command a lot more money then 12K, I can tell you that, it's more like 20K +.

what you commonly see at MGs shoots like knob creek are the, non-transferable to ordinary folks like us, post sample MG converted from semi autos or built by 02/07 SOT license holders. they use them to rent it out on the range for ordinary folks to shoot.

then there are the transferable MGs, this kind is what most of us have seen when you see it, those were converted from semi auto commercial imported AKs (Chinese mostly) before the 86 ban. those are the ones that are in the 12K range

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

I read an article somewhere recently about (quite possibly) the oldest known "used" AK. It had a milled receiver and they checked the serial numbers and estimated it to be from 1951 (iirc?)

Factually incorrect. There is at least one AK-46 prototype sitting in the Izhmash museum, and more than a few stamped Type 1 AK-47s out there in museums and such.

I read an article somewhere recently about (quite possibly) the oldest known "used" AK. It had a milled receiver and they checked the serial numbers and estimated it to be from 1951 (iirc?)

Factually incorrect. There is at least one AK-46 prototype sitting in the Izhmash museum, and more than a few stamped Type 1 AK-47s out there in museums and such.

"An endnote: Task Force Bobcat’s holdings include other interesting arms as well, returning the conversation to the predictable and the familiar. Below is a solid-steel receiver Kalashnikov – an original AK-47, or a convincing reproduction – with a date stamp of 1951. If this arm is authentic (and this blog and Mr. Ferguson both thought it looked legit), it is the oldest verified Kalashnikov At War has seen in the Afghan war. Given that mass production of AK-47s did not begin until 1949, they don’t get much older or more rare than this."

my memory was slightly off... either way, i'd throw it in my safe.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/taliban-gun-locker-the-frankengun-of-wardak-province/

towards the bottom

A 51 would be a type 2. Prior to that was the type 1 which was a stamped receiver with a milled front trunnion that took up the front quarter of the receiver.

"An endnote: Task Force Bobcat’s holdings include other interesting arms as well, returning the conversation to the predictable and the familiar. Below is a solid-steel receiver Kalashnikov – an original AK-47, or a convincing reproduction – with a date stamp of 1951. If this arm is authentic (and this blog and Mr. Ferguson both thought it looked legit), it is the oldest verified Kalashnikov At War has seen in the Afghan war. Given that mass production of AK-47s did not begin until 1949, they don’t get much older or more rare than this."

my memory was slightly off... either way, i'd throw it in my safe.

http://atwar.blogs.n...ardak-province/

towards the bottom

The bicycle chain sling on that old British rifle is great. Do what ya gotta do! Thanks for the link, i'd never seen that blog before. If only all NYT gun pieces could be so neutral!

Edited by Mullet Man

Why own an Avtomat Kalashnikova, when you can own a Galil?

nothing.gif

post-4853-0-92387700-1345579290_thumb.jpg

There nice I was going to pic one up a couple years back but I prefer the 7.62x39 round I know there available in that chamberinv but not really common here or at least all the dozens I've seen I did run across a 7.62 NATO once however.

Why own an Avtomat Kalashnikova, when you can own a Galil?

Only cuz I can't seem to find the Galil anywhere these days. smile.png

Yes, they are difficult to find, and an IMI original in excellent condition will be a couple K out of one's wallet. Which is why I am having one built from a parts kit on a CNC machined and appropriately heat treated receiver. wink.png She'll have fresh, new trit pop-up night sights on her as well.

The bicycle chain sling on that old British rifle is great.

I acquired one of those Enfield Martini Carbines over there. Although mine isn't missing furniture, I feel gypped that it doesn't have a bike chain sling!

Edited by MT Predator
  • 3 months later...

I have a kit for the type 3 milled, It has worked again, but the side plate I made started to crack. I need to fix that and heat treat it better. Also the seccond amendment wouldnt let me rebuild it in true Russian auto fassion, oh sorry I ment fat a$$ Bueracrats wouldnt. Either way thats probably the closest I will get, unless the 1984 Red Dawn appens...