Disrespecting a vet like that should be an immediate Disorderly Conduct charge and a $$$ fine.

Vietnam vets used to come home and get sworn at and spit on by the public.

I understand the hate towards illegal wars started by corrupt power hungry politicians, but hate the politicians, not the brave souls who go fight and risk their lives as they are asked to do. The vets deserve our love and utmost respect.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

If you get up on the plane and tell the assholes they're assholes you'd be arrested for interfering with a flight crew.

if you bitch slap them at the airport it's battery.

so best to complain everywhere and try to ruin them (and hope someday to find one of them alone and beat the fuck out of them, like their parents should have done to teach them to respect their betters)

Flying for the general public is hard enough. I can only imagine what it's like for people with disabilities. When he was offered a seat in first class that should have been the end of it. It seems they weren't interest in a reasonable solution, they just wanted to exert their authority to the fullest extent. That is the common mentality with most airline crews, TSA, and just about anybody else you run into while flying. They have you over a barrel and they're going to make sure you know it. This is damn shameful and I hope they pay a high price.

Flying for the general public is hard enough. I can only imagine what it's like for people with disabilities. When he was offered a seat in first class that should have been the end of it. It seems they weren't interest in a reasonable solution, they just wanted to exert their authority to the fullest extent. That is the common mentality with most airline crews, TSA, and just about anybody else you run into while flying. They have you over a barrel and they're going to make sure you know it. This is damn shameful and I hope they pay a high price.

I think the problem is the mentality of anyone who isn't already in the upper middle or upper class. They have to exert their authority, because its all they have. I have had a few run ins with school bus drivers, where I did nothing illegal, but they seemed to think I have done something to give them more priority, or something. They then threatened to call the police (twice) and took down my plate number (once). I told them to call away, and offered to wait for the police. Interestingly, when called, in each case they dropped the issue and move on.

I guess its hard when you arent in control of much in life. I doubt the airline attendants/stewartess/stewarts make much money, and are at the whim of the airline in a stressful job. Nonetheless, they should not be doing this kind of crap, particulary with ANY palegic, particularly an purple heart parapalegic.

I must be missing something. I see callous service, and a rotten attitude. But for the level of outrage, there should be more.

As far as what actually happened I pick up only a few things from the article. I think if there was more outrage they would have been sure to say so. Without that, the story seems to be that his feelings were hurt.

Since the article is about how Delta is a jerk and we should all be mad at Delta, let's look at things that were within Delta's control.

1) he was put on last. (I'd give airlines latitude to try and figure out what goes most smoothly. They have studied the hell out of this kind of thing. I'd personally put him on first, but this in itself is not an insult.)

2) He was put in the back. He assumed he'd get an emergency exit seat. (well, wherever he bought a ticket, that's where he goes. For years, when you buy tickets with delta and other companies, you can actually click on the plane where you want to sit, so that is within the marine's control. There is nothing in the story to say that they called ahead to let the airline know that he would need special care. Those services exist, and from my experiences they get priority. If the airline doesn't know in advance about his special circumstances, they are at a disadvantage. He doesn't meet FAA rules for emergency exit since he can't help others out or open the door. We all know that, so that can be dismissed out of hand.)

3) they bumped his wheel chair into other seats. The story points out that it was the narrow airline wheelchair. Duh. Nothing else will fit. Let's ignore it when people take something normal or the only thing possible and treat it as though it is some how extra bad. (I'd say it would be near impossible not to bump the sides., so unless there is something deliberate or excessively inconsiderate about the way this happened... Have any of you ever walked down a plain aisle with just a carry on and legs without bumping the sides? No- well me neither.)

4) They unreasonably didn't allow him to take the offer of seat exchanges.-- Rude and stupid. Especially considering they were ahead of schedule. An outrage?

5) he cried. -- Um, I am really sorry for him and don't blame him. It's hard to say whether or not this is within the control of Delta, but it does look like a setup for an element of an IIED claim. (intentional infliction of emotional distress: Elements. 1. I was vulnerable 2. you knew I was vulberable 3. Even though you knew I was vulnerable you were absurdly mean to me in a way that you should have known could hurt me. 4. I actually got hurt, as you can see by my response and my medical evaluations i.e. I was sick but recovering, and now i am in remission and paying a shrink and taking pills) (The flag waving line from his C/O is BS. I do not believe for a second that he has never before seen a marine cry in 27 years. That is clearly a lie, and hype. A good cause does not need this kind of thing. This story is about what Delta did to this guy or did not to, not how good the guy was as a marine, or how much it cost him. Just the facts please.)

6) They complained about how he was worthless and kicked him off the flight and threw his crutches on the runway and made fun of him. Oh- wait. I was expecting so see some real insult outrage or unfair treatment. Again, if there had been more, why would they mention all the side issues and leave that out. It's hard to prove a negative, but I really don't believe there was more than we are told. They are making each part of what little is there sound as bad as they can, it just isn't very plausible that they would tell all that and leave out the real bad behavior.

So I am sure a lot of you guys will get up in arms and mad at me, but I don't see enough in that article to make me boycott a company. I am sure there was rudeness. That sucks, and the employees deserve a bad performance review and some intercompany discipline. The plane company should probably give him some kind of free trip or something to smooth things over, but at this point the only thing I see they did was not be sympathetic. He got the seat he paid for.

I value his service. I want to honor wounded and unwounded soldiers, marines, etc. However, I don't think everytime one of them gets the same kind of snippy service the rest of us are used to that it warrants a national outcry.

Edited by GunFun

Delta sucks! They have always sucked! Flying today is like riding a bus in Mexico less the chickens.

I drive! and if its to far I don't go. Went home for Christmas this last year ( never again)

But I do think he should have gotten better care, there has to be more to the story than this.

I must be missing something. I see callous service, and a rotten attitude. But for the level of outrage, there should be more.

As far as what actually happened I pick up only a few things from the article. I think if there was more outrage they would have been sure to say so. Without that, the story seems to be that his feelings were hurt.

Since the article is about how Delta is a jerk and we should all be mad at Delta, let's look at things that were within Delta's control.

1) he was put on last. (I'd give airlines latitude to try and figure out what goes most smoothly. They have studied the hell out of this kind of thing. I'd personally put him on first, but this in itself is not an insult.)

2) He was put in the back. He assumed he'd get an emergency exit seat. (well, wherever he bought a ticket, that's where he goes. For years, when you buy tickets with delta and other companies, you can actually click on the plane where you want to sit, so that is within the marine's control. There is nothing in the story to say that they called ahead to let the airline know that he would need special care. Those services exist, and from my experiences they get priority. If the airline doesn't know in advance about his special circumstances, they are at a disadvantage. He doesn't meet FAA rules for emergency exit since he can't help others out or open the door. We all know that, so that can be dismissed out of hand.)

3) they bumped his wheel chair into other seats. The story points out that it was the narrow airline wheelchair. Duh. Nothing else will fit. Let's ignore it when people take something normal or the only thing possible and treat it as though it is some how extra bad. (I'd say it would be near impossible not to bump the sides., so unless there is something deliberate or excessively inconsiderate about the way this happened... Have any of you ever walked down a plain aisle with just a carry on and legs without bumping the sides? No- well me neither.)

4) They unreasonably didn't allow him to take the offer of seat exchanges.-- Rude and stupid. Especially considering they were ahead of schedule. An outrage?

5) he cried. -- Um, I am really sorry for him and don't blame him. It's hard to say whether or not this is within the control of Delta, but it does look like a setup for an element of an IIED claim. (intentional infliction of emotional distress: Elements. 1. I was vulnerable 2. you knew I was vulberable 3. Even though you knew I was vulnerable you were absurdly mean to me in a way that you should have known could hurt me. 4. I actually got hurt, as you can see by my response and my medical evaluations i.e. I was sick but recovering, and now i am in remission and paying a shrink and taking pills) (The flag waving line from his C/O is BS. I do not believe for a second that he has never before seen a marine cry in 27 years. That is clearly a lie, and hype. A good cause does not need this kind of thing. This story is about what Delta did to this guy or did not to, not how good the guy was as a marine, or how much it cost him. Just the facts please.)

6) They complained about how he was worthless and kicked him off the flight and threw his crutches on the runway and made fun of him. Oh- wait. I was expecting so see some real insult outrage or unfair treatment. Again, if there had been more, why would they mention all the side issues and leave that out. It's hard to prove a negative, but I really don't believe there was more than we are told. They are making each part of what little is there sound as bad as they can, it just isn't very plausible that they would tell all that and leave out the real bad behavior.

So I am sure a lot of you guys will get up in arms and mad at me, but I don't see enough in that article to make me boycott a company. I am sure there was rudeness. That sucks, and the employees deserve a bad performance review and some intercompany discipline. The plane company should probably give him some kind of free trip or something to smooth things over, but at this point the only thing I see they did was not be sympathetic. He got the seat he paid for.

I value his service. I want to honor wounded and unwounded soldiers, marines, etc. However, I don't think everytime one of them gets the same kind of snippy service the rest of us are used to that it warrants a national outcry.

It doesn't have to be the worst thing to ever happen for it to be an outrage, but maybe that is too strong a word. Just call me "pissed". Everything else aside, and regardless of anything else that happened, they had a great solution right in front of them and they rejected

it. Why? There isn't any good reason.

I kinda doubt that they did enough to make him cry. Lets be real here. Dude went to a place so horrible that he came back with no legs and some dumbass on a plane was able to make him cry? Sorry, but I'm with the above. People on the plane should be pissed at him for getting on with a 104 fever that unless was caused by infection, was probably contagious.

On the flip side... If true, this is just another indication that our society needs a huge bitch slap. Kids are not being raised to respect their elders or anyone else. I used to get my ass fucking CHEWED by the neighbors if I needed it. Now, if you chew a neighbors kids ass for fucking up, I guarantee you'll get a visit from the parents. I love the current cul de sac I live in. It's old school. We watch out for each others kids and hand em their ass if necessary. As it should be, IMO...

On the flip side... If true, this is just another indication that our society needs a huge bitch slap. Kids are not being raised to respect their elders or anyone else. I used to get my ass fucking CHEWED by the neighbors if I needed it. Now, if you chew a neighbors kids ass for fucking up, I guarantee you'll get a visit from the parents. I love the current cul de sac I live in. It's old school. We watch out for each others kids and hand em their ass if necessary. As it should be, IMO...

+1M on that!

I almost couldn't contain myself the other day!

5 y.o. kid: "Shut the fuck up bitch!"

mom: "You don't talk to me that way!"

kid: "There's nothing you can do about it, so shut the fuck up bitch!"

I almost got up and wailed that kid's ass! Maybe I should have!

If I said that to my mom, I'd be picking my jaw up from 1/2 mile away, then get spanked with my own belt, get home and get nailed from dad!

Yes you should have, but chances are that the mom would defend her shit stain kid any way.

I remember when I was a kid (I was a little shit) and my mom brought me to a large public park and fountain in Seattle. I ran away from my mom and started running around the fountain, and dodged her whenever she tried to catch me. Some random guy chased me, grabbed me, carried me over to my mom, and told me to never disrespect my mother in public again. I remember that moment vividly, and I would do the same to any little shit kid today.

Disrespecting a vet like that should be an immediate Disorderly Conduct charge and a $$$ fine.

Vietnam vets used to come home and get sworn at and spit on by the public.

I am pretty sure that if that happened today like it did in Vietnam, the spitter would get the shit kicked out of them.

The problem is when the "spitter" has the protection of authority agencies like TSA who will put you on the "prohibited/dangerous persons" list for sticking up for what's right.

If I were to stand up for this vet, it would probably mean the end of my job, which I cannot do without a large amount of air travel.

Edited by mancat

oh I still believe an ass whipping is still needed for the lack of compassion and care shown to this veteran regardless of any illness he may have had.

part of this is based on me still remembering flying in years past when you were treated well and not packed in and herded like cattle from airport to airport. but shitty customer service even in todays cattle cars of the air shouldn't have to be tolerated by anyone let alone a man who has given up so much for his country

I have no problem with a man crying. Life and death struggles brings you to emotions you never knew you had, for your self and others. He lost his legs, he has my respect. The fact that he cry's or not has nothing to do with it. He deserved better.

Some times wounded vets do not always make the right choices ,like flying when you are sick. We need to be there for them in those times to have there back. They deserve that to!