Letter to my Representative and Senators

I just wanted to share the text of what I sent to Spencer Bachus, Jeff Sessions, and Richard Shelby concerning any new gun control legislation. I encourage you all to do the same. Feel free to copy and paste if you desire:

Dear Representative Bachus,

I am writing you this morning concerning the recent tragic events in CT and the possibility of increased gun control legislation including the reintroduction of an assault weapons ban.

In the last four years, we have seen an ever increasing destruction of our freedoms and liberties under this Administration. Our right to bear arms and the right to protect our families and ourselves in public must not be added to the long list already lost. I have witnessed the media spotlighting nearly every gun crime committed over the last three days in an attempt to shape public opinion towards gun control.

As I am sure you are aware, there are tens of millions of responsible gun owners in this country. Millions of those including myself, own rifles with high capacity magazines without incidence. Additionally, in every state that has passed conceal carry laws, crime rates have dropped. Alternatively, states where strict gun control laws are already on the books have higher violent crime rates. Strict gun control laws have proven time and time again to favor criminal access while disarming law abiding citizens who wish only to protect their families and enjoy the sport of shooting.

Additional gun control legislation is not the answer and will only serve to restrict firearm ownership from responsible citizens, while criminals who have no regard for the law will continue to arm themselves and pray on a defenseless public.

I urge you and the Republicans to stand firm against any additions to existing gun control laws in the United States House. Legislation of this kind should be killed in commitee and never even reach the floor of the House. I have written Senators Shelby and Sessions urging them to stand firm against any efforts that begin in the Senate as well. Thank you for your service to the great state of Alabama.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 7

It is damn near impossible for any congressman to argue against an AWB when there is a pile of dead first graders. Letters need to be sent demanding that the toxicology reports be opened for the public to see. Something caused these individuals to have a total disconnect with reality. What do the toxicology reports show? What are they hiding? The Aurora, Colorado shooter looked strung out in photos just after the shootings. Why are the records sealed? What is the government ahh, I mean big pharma hiding?

Fight the root cause if you want to win. The root cause is not a pistol grip on a gun.

Dear Representative INSERT NAME HERE,

I am writing you this morning concerning the recent tragic events in CT and the possibility of increased gun control legislation including the reintroduction of an assault weapons ban.

Over the past ten years, I feel as though my personal freedoms and liberties are consistently infringed upon by federal legislation, and I have witnessed the media spotlighting nearly every gun crime committed over the last three days in what appears to be an attempt to shape public opinion towards gun control. My right to bear arms and the right to protect my family and community must be maintained.

As I am sure you are aware, there are tens of millions of responsible gun owners in this country. Millions of those including myself, own rifles with high capacity magazines without incidence. Strict gun control laws suggest criminal access while disarming law abiding citizens who wish only to protect their families and enjoy the sport of shooting.

Additional gun control legislation is not the answer and will only serve to restrict firearm ownership from responsible citizens, while criminals who have no regard for the law will continue to arm themselves and prey on a defenseless public.

I urge you to stand firm against excessive additions to existing gun control laws in the United States House. Legislation of this kind should never reach the floor of the House. I have written Senators INSERT NAME HERE and INSERT NAME HERE urging them to stand firm against any efforts that begin in the Senate as well. Thank you for your service to the great state of INSERT STATE OF RESIDENCE.

Respectfully,

NAME

If sending anything to anyone in my state would do anything, I'd be on this. I hope everyone that has house reps and senators who actually listen get this out there.for everyones sake

I have to respectfully disagree with this line of reasoning. The right to bear arms and the 2nd ammendment crosses political lines. As evidenced by many posts on this forum, there are a lot of dyed in the wool Democrats that contribute every day. Although I may not agree with them on many issues, the one commonality I have with them is that we all cherish our right to own and enjoy our firearms. This is one issue we should be standing together on despite party or idealogical differences.

I live in one of the most conservative states in the nation. Our House, Senate, Governorship, and both US Senate seats are Republican. Their past voting records would indicate that they would not support a ban. With that said it is still important to for me to let them know how I expect them to vote. I would argue that it is more important for those people in States that favor gun control to be just as vocal. I guarantee you the anti-gunners are contacting their representatives.

I have read posts on this forum where people talk about never giving up their guns when the government comes to take them, some of which I would never post on an open forum. Well that time has come. They're not at our doors, they are in DC. It doesn't take an act of bravado or a last stand moment, all it requires is for everyone to take 5 minutes to send an email to their representatives regardless whether you like them or not. If every firearm owner did this, I would guarantee you that any legislation that is proposed would die a quick death.

I would argue that it is more important for those people in States that favor gun control to be just as vocal. I guarantee you the anti-gunners are contacting their representatives.

I would agree with you, if it was not Massachusetts I was talking about. As it sits here, before our newly elected Senator Elizabeth Warren stated she would vote yes on an AWB, our soon-to-be-former Republican Senator Scott Brown is pro-AWB and every Rep. is also pro-AWB. Many of us in this state have attempted this before, sending letters about our dislike for the AWB. They respond with although they appreciate our opinions, their minds are already set on the reduction of crime...... Since we are an AWB state, they feel that our rules should apply to all. There is no talking them out of their train of thought. We are vastly outnumbered here in MA. I believe the last tally they released was that we have about 300k LTC holders. In a state with 6.5 millions residents, we don't get taken as seriously as the percentages should state.

• Like 1

Serious question: If I drive up to MA with my shot-gun and, say, a 10-rd mag in my bag in the trunk, can I receive a $10k fine?

I believe you would get arrested if stopped for violating our AWB. You cant hunt with a 10 rounder anyways so if you had it they'd try to get you on every possible infraction

I would argue that it is more important for those people in States that favor gun control to be just as vocal. I guarantee you the anti-gunners are contacting their representatives.

I would agree with you, if it was not Massachusetts I was talking about. As it sits here, before our newly elected Senator Elizabeth Warren stated she would vote yes on an AWB, our soon-to-be-former Republican Senator Scott Brown is pro-AWB and every Rep. is also pro-AWB. Many of us in this state have attempted this before, sending letters about our dislike for the AWB. They respond with although they appreciate our opinions, their minds are already set on the reduction of crime...... Since we are an AWB state, they feel that our rules should apply to all. There is no talking them out of their train of thought. We are vastly outnumbered here in MA. I believe the last tally they released was that we have about 300k LTC holders. In a state with 6.5 millions residents, we don't get taken as seriously as the percentages should state.

I understand your position and I don't envy living in MA. No personal condemnation was meant for you, as I am not in your shoes, nor do I live in MA. I do believe however in letting elected officials know they are pissing me off, and quite frankly it is the only tool we really have at this point.

BTW... Be careful not to "shoot your eye out" with that AR 15. :)

Does that go for handguns too? I was thinking of traveling and almost always carry my sig 228. I wouldn't consider that an assault weapon, but it does have 13-15 rd mags. I would hate to get busted for that.

Do a web search and familiarize yourself with MA gun laws, or any state you plan to travel through for that matter. If it is illegal, don't risk it.

• Like 1

Does that go for handguns too? I was thinking of traveling and almost always carry my sig 228. I wouldn't consider that an assault weapon, but it does have 13-15 rd mags. I would hate to get busted for that.

Do not carry with a greater than 10 round mag and do not carry on you unless you have contacted the MA state police and gone through the process for an out of state issue LTC. Unless you have that all guns must be transported in locked container in locked trunk with magazines removed and ammo seperated.

Do you think they are actually reading the flood of emails and letters they are getting?

They better.......

Anyone with any regard for thier future seat will need to keep a finger on the pulse of the nations feelings on this and ANYTHING we can do to sway them with intelligent information cant hurt

Do you think they are actually reading the flood of emails and letters they are getting?

I do not know, but I know that they need to be sent. If worse comes to worse, I can alaways move to Texas before they suceed and close the borders.

I do not know, but I know that they need to be sent. If worse comes to worse, I can alaways move to Texas before they suceed and close the borders.

Just make sure you and some friends move close to the border and plant roots. We will need plenty of support to defend them. I live withing 15-20 of two border states. Ugh, you can definitely tell the difference when you cross.

• Like 1

Not trying to be a Debbie downer. But they probably get flooded with just as many emails telling them to ban them all. But im all for writing some politicians. Just aware that it probably does no good, most of them care less what we want.

Chevy,

I share your cynicism, believe me I do. But what are we going to do? Wait for the next election? Get mad and complain on a forum? Wait for a political party or the NRA to stand up for us? Those tactics haven't worked so well for health care, or the last two presidential elections. I am sure they are getting flooded with emails to ban them. That's what hippy feel good liberals do, and quite frankly it appears to be working for them on a wide variety of issues. To me that is even more reason to flood them with letters, emails, and phone calls of our own. When it comes down to it politicians are politicians and every one of them will make a self serving decision on which way to vote based on whether or not it will get them re-elected in their district. Those representatives in the states of Saiga Powers' link would be a priority if I lived in those districts.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer. But they probably get flooded with just as many emails telling them to ban them all. But im all for writing some politicians. Just aware that it probably does no good, most of them care less what we want.

Chevy,

I share your cynicism, believe me I do. But what are we going to do? Wait for the next election? Get mad and complain on a forum? Wait for a political party or the NRA to stand up for us? Those tactics haven't worked so well for health care, or the last two presidential elections. I am sure they are getting flooded with emails to ban them. That's what hippy feel good liberals do, and quite frankly it appears to be working for them on a wide variety of issues. To me that is even more reason to flood them with letters, emails, and phone calls of our own. When it comes down to it politicians are politicians and every one of them will make a self serving decision on which way to vote based on whether or not it will get them re-elected in their district. Those representatives in the states of Saiga Powers' link would be a priority if I lived in those districts.

Oh I understand. Im all for sending letters upons letters. I just understand I may be wasting my time. I truly dont count on that. I hope the NRA steps up big on this one and wins a life time membership from me. I honestly will drop the money on it in a heart beat. I have had my personal opinions of them in the past but have given money due to recent events. But if they continue to stay silent they will never get a dime out of me. I think the NRA is going to be the big winning ticket in this one, they have the most power and they need to show it now.

Chevy,

Oh I understand. Im all for sending letters upons letters. I just understand I may be wasting my time. I truly dont count on that. I hope the NRA steps up big on this one and wins a life time membership from me. I honestly will drop the money on it in a heart beat. I have had my personal opinions of them in the past but have given money due to recent events. But if they continue to stay silent they will never get a dime out of me. I think the NRA is going to be the big winning ticket in this one, they have the most power and they need to show it now.

They are currently kinda of quiet