Got a RCBS Rockchucker paperweight for Christmas..now what?

I put off buying a reloading kit for a while because I knew the wife wanted to get me one for Christmas. Now I have exactly what I wanted, and can't find a single reasonably priced 9mm, .45, .223, .308 bullet, Varget or Win 231 powder, nor primers in stock anywhere. Got to love panic buying. Any suggestions? I also need some recommendations on a tumbler, and case trimmer. I went with RCBS dies. Seeing this thing in the box without being able to startup is killing me, especially when my time off is filled with " honey do's" instead of " daddy wants".

Check out rmrbullets.com for bullets, they sell plated and pulled bullets, they are getting slim though and one of the best prices I've seen. Primers have been touch and go for some time now even before the election. Powder should be available around locally. I've only got 2 places in my local area without having to drive 80miles away to buy powder and primer's

• Like 1

All I have currently is Speers manual that came with the kit. I have also downloaded several pdfs from various manufacturers. I have the Hornady and Nosler manuals on order. I have spent a ton of time reading and researching, and have a couple of recipes I want to start working up. I just need the supplies. I know things will calm down, it is just a waiting game.

As much as I hate to post this, you may have waited to long, My seller has told me that the primers are getting hard to find and powder is going up fast. If you do find some, buy, buy and buy. I picked up a little bit before Christmas.

All I have currently is Speers manual that came with the kit. I have also downloaded several pdfs from various manufacturers. I have the Hornady and Nosler manuals on order. I have spent a ton of time reading and researching, and have a couple of recipes I want to start working up. I just need the supplies. I know things will calm down, it is just a waiting game.

I know you can never have too many manuals. I got the lee for $19.25 shipped from gander mountain, but that was the cost plus tax, they had free shipping.

As much as I hate to post this, you may have waited to long, My seller has told me that the primers are getting hard to find and powder is going up fast. If you do find some, buy, buy and buy. I picked up a little bit before Christmas.

I'm going to a gun show next weekend and plan to scope out prices, mainly was going to buy brass, and bullets. Maybe pick up powder or primers if they were the same or less then locally. I already have primers and bullets for my 30-30 need some for the 12ga and 9mm. haven't decided on powder yet for the 30-30 so many choices and so much info to try and process for best load to try.

Yah! just like the last time!.

Use stainless media in a rock tumbler, it works great and fast.

Many reload to save money but getting a round that is consistent is what it is all about.

This thing will pass like the other times and then there will be the overstocking deals as always.

Remember always act and not re-act.

Loading is a sport of its own you will love it. Good luck and save all your brass , starting now!

• Like 2
Yah! just like the last time!.

Use stainless media in a rock tumbler, it works great and fast.

Many reload to save money but getting a round that is consistent is what it is all about.

This thing will pass like the other times and then there will be the overstocking deals as always.

Remember always act and not re-act.

Loading is a sport of its own you will love it. Good luck and save all your brass , starting now!

I tell everyone to save all there brass from day one they start shooting. @least I'll take it from them if they wont ever reload. I've been keeping as much of my 9mm as I can when I go. may loose a few some times end up with a few extra.

• Like 1

Try www.rvow.com, www.grafs.com, www.powdervalley.com and also www.everglades ammo.com. Get you a RCBS chargemaster, I think that's what it's called, I have one and it works great. A forester trimmer with all the pilots, and a RCBS case prep center with the 4 turning things, for deburring and reaming the primer pockets, and don't forget a super swage by Dillon if you do any military brass. I got the Hornady, Speer, and another book, if you need any load info. You can download info from Accurate's website, Hodgdon, Ramshot, and almost all of them. A good sturdy table is a must.

You might also try www.hi-techammo.com or www.polygunbag.com, they both sell pull down bullets, hi-tech has the ss109 most of the time, but Midway has the Hornady 55gr FMJ for $49.00 for 500 or $89.00 for 1000, new, not pull downs. Let me know if I can help you.

• Like 1

You might find stuff cheaper on the net, HAZ mat and shipping will off set the cheaper price.

Find you stuff local, even if you have to drive an bit.

Keeping you cost down is what you are working for.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the awesome advice and links. As soon as AWB stared to be bantered around, I new I was going to be in trouble. Couldn't order without tipping off t,he wife that I knew, and I hadn't been buying to stock up over the past couple of years like I had on ammo, mags, and spare parts.

I had tried several of the sites listed, prior to posting the thread, and everything I tried came up out of stock. I could buy powder in 1 pounders on a couple of sites, but with the hazmat fee, it just didn't make sense. I am still looking locally.

As far as saving money, by the time you buy all of the equipment, and consider your time, I don't believe I will save money for a while. My primary goal is repeatability, availability, and the enjoyment of the hobby. I have tons of brass. I have saved everything I have fired for going on 5-6 years now.

Thanks again, I know this will pass and patience is a virtue. One that evidently I need to work on.

It doesn't make since to order 1lb'ers and have to pay the hazmat fee, go with the 8lb jugs, and if you go to Simmons in Bessemer, they may have some, but mostly 1lb's and pricing is about $5-6.00 a lb more than on the net. Pat's up in Jasper has only 1lb. jugs, and the asshats in Hoover, need I say more. I stopped in there on Wednesday coming back from Monkeytown, and over heard one of their guys telling a customer that the FN bull pup on the wall was a P90, the same that the cops carry, BULL SHIT, it was a PS90, I just eased over near the guy, coughed, and said he's lieing threw his teeth, got a FY look from behind the counter, and I just smiled and walked out.. Anyway, most places will let you do about 32lbs. of powder on one hazmat charge.

I use a Lee Classic "O" ring and an old 50's HERTERS press that I have had since the 70's (with a modern shell adaptor). The HERTERS is tough enough to swage bullets and resize some very tough stuff (it's about 40lbs of cast IRON).. The Lee is my day to day press and I've used this one since 1987.

I like Lee, RCBS and Redding dies. I prime on the press primarily (but have a hand primer) and like the Lee Auto-Disk for pistol powder priming.

I gave up on progressive loaders in the early 90's with upside down primers and goofy powder charges. I am sure progressives have come along way, I just don't wanna spend the $$$$ and can do about 300+ rds an hour as is.

This place is *THE CHEAPEST* I have ever found... now they are LOCAL to me, so I drive the 40 minutes to shop there... but their prices are wholesale, compared to retail... Whether they will SHIP anything or not... call and ask... Its worth the call at the very least... :up:

http://www.beikirchs.com/

Good luck!!!

:smoke:

• 3 weeks later...

There is more to reloading than saving money. It is like making fried chicken at home ,you do not save much if anything but the fact that you made it at home, better is a basic fact!

If you figure your labor to do it your way behind.

To me it is about control. One less thing I have to worry about when I point the gun.

I have a good friend who's wife got him a loader for Christmas. They both love it because of the reduced stress after he come in from reloading.

Ballistics is who I am, I have a shooter app for my ipad and everything i shoot is on it, reloading take the mystery out of the data because it is you who put it in the round. I call it eliminating the internals to focus on the externals like wind and temp .

I get bored very quickly shooting rifle (the longer the more I'm into it), its like flying a lot, you do it because you have to. Its the Ballistics that I Love, its cool .

Shooting has become just part of that.

The only hunting I do is Pheasant and that is shot gun ( never get bored)

• Like 1

I still haven't decided on powder for 30-30 yet. and awaiting someone to get cci 500 primers in where I can buy a brick. rmr should be posting new items on the site, they post up first on fb before they get on site. usually within a few minutes.

I still haven't decided on powder for 30-30 yet. and awaiting someone to get cci 500 primers in where I can buy a brick. rmr should be posting new items on the site, they post up first on fb before they get on site. usually within a few minutes.

I just picked up a pre cross bolt safety Marlin 336. Looks like I will be reloading that caliber as well. Still waiting on Dies, Primers, and powder to begin reloading .308, .223, .45, and 9mm. Should have everything but the primers next week. It's like 1994 all over again, except I have less hair.