I've got to think this was answered before, but the search on "full auto" returned WAY too many results.

So, here is a video that most of you guys have probably seen before. Mike from MD running his full auto S-12.

So, how is this legal? If it is legal, what is the legal (not mechanical) process to go about doing such a thing?

If you're a licensed manufacturer (but a specific type like SOT not just an FFL 07) and you have a letter from an organization that could own it (like a law enforcement agency) stating that they would like to see one, then it can be built. The LEO agency doesn't have to buy it and the SOT can keep it. I think that is how it works.

But the take home message is that it is an extremely non-trivial task.

A properly licensed can have prototypes and samples as a properly licenced dealer for the purpose of selling or developing new models for cops , military and export. It has to be a real effort to sell them, not just an obvious excuse to own a toy you want. So MD had one for R&D to develop a drum that he sold to plenty of LE and has been used in several military systems. Tom Cole, Lonestar and other builders will sell them to SWAT teams who want to modernize...

Don't think you can just pay a few thousand dollars and fill out some forms and have a sham business and keep any toys you want. It has to be a real business, and you have to pay the licensing every year.

• Like 1
Let me ask the question differently, how can you legally own a full auto made after the 1984 ban? My assumption is that Mike's S-12 shown above is newer than 1984.

everyone else explained it just fine. But, to nitpick a bit, the cut-off was in May of 1986.

I have shot a full auto rifle before, it was FUN for short period of time but it was not easy to stay on target even at 25 yards, at least the one I shot wasn't. I would shoot one again given the opportunity, but honestly I have no desire to own one! I can pull the trigger plenty fast enough and actually place the rounds where I want them as opposed to the F/A I shot which Had about 50% on target ( it made a 3 foot pattern!). I am sure their are well trained individuals that can place a lot more than that on target with a good MG but I doubt I can afford to shoot that many rounds anyway!

Edited by misterT
A full auto Saiga 12. Talk about throwin' some lead downrange! 20 rounds of 3" 00 buckshot on full auto = 300 .33 cal rounds coming yer way in just a few seconds. Helluva lot more firepower than an Uzi, wouldn't ya say?

I might be mistaken but, I believe the MD 20 and Pro Mag 20 allow only standard 2 1/2 in shells in 00 buck whicn would be 9 x 20 or 180 rounds down range / drum. Still alot of lead in anycase.

Edited by ARCHANGEL

I think wig hk's there's some process of marrying the two or something weird. I remember reading something about that, it may have been so you can use a SBR with the sear pack but if you take the sear out it's then an illegal SBR. In an ar15 you can get a drop in auto sear and use whatever upper or if you change the DIAS to another weapon and take the m16 fire control parts and then use a >16" barrel it's legal. It's all a bunch of stupid hoops and reading lines. And unconstitutional as well. But that's another topic all together.

Also you can get that .410 kit for an ar15. That and a DIAS is about the only way us lowly citizens can have a full auto shotgun. Hell if you could build an ar15 lower that would feed saiga mags and be a 12ga. Then Registered DIAS could be used. In fact that's a pretty good idea.

With an HK sear pack you may use it on a pistol with/without a stock and returned to a title 2 pistol as long as the stock is removed or any rifle and can be interchanged on all calibers. Married sears can easily be divorced by submitting the ATF form and then the former applies. Sears attached to registered receivers cannot be divorced or moved. That has to do with the receiver configuration. The married part is basically for commie states that may allow MG's but the weapon itself is prohibited.

A full auto Saiga 12. Talk about throwin' some lead downrange! 20 rounds of 3" 00 buckshot on full auto = 300 .33 cal rounds coming yer way in just a few seconds. Helluva lot more firepower than an Uzi, wouldn't ya say?

I might be mistaken but, I believe the MD 20 and Pro Mag 20 allow only standard 2 1/2 in shells in 00 buck whicn would be 9 x 20 or 180 rounds down range / drum. Still alot of lead in anycase.

You could hand load that many pellets into 2 3/4" loads using a compact wad or shotcup. It would take some work to stay in 2 3/4" pressures at good velocity, but you are using them in a 3" rated gun... more importantly though, why not go for #1 buck at 16 pellets that penetrate 12-13" without absurd recoil? Or even 20x #1B?...