itchin to do conversion, should I wait?

I got all my parts in and am itchin to get started on it. But I have not had the chance to try light loads on my stock gun yet. My indoor range does not allow birdshot and between work, kids and weather I have not been able to get to my outdoor range. I have 3 un-obstructed ports and it ran PMC and Rio 00 buck flawlessly. Should I still wait until I run some Federal bulk through it on setting 2 before I jump into the conversion. I have read the stickies and such on this saying it is better to make sure the stock gun is working right before converting. Guess the pressure of doing it is just getting to me. the one time I wish CSS didn't have uch fast shipping!!! They got me the conversion parts 3 days after ordering them.

Edited by Goldeneagle76

I'd just convert. If you know you are going to go there anyway, you may as well do the reliability service with the trigger parts that will contribute drag.

There are also some weak slugs that launch 1 1/8 oz at 1200 FPS that should provide about the same baseline for testing as the bulk pack birdshot.

• Like 1

If it shoots and cycles on buckshot, then you know that your stock fire control, bolt, and gas systems are working. That would be my main concern before a conversion. If you are not modifying the gas system, swapping out the fire control group probably isn't going change that operation, and if it does, then you know you did something wrong. Test the light loads after conversion. Changing out the gas system is easy to do if it won't cycle low brass.

Got rivets and old trigger guard off (man that center one was a pain in the arse). Painted bare metal and put on new trigger guard, Hogue grip and plastic plugs. Will tackle the rest tomorrow. I have to modify my BHO lever before install too.

Bought the KVAR NATO stock and there are no holes in it...do I have to pre-drill it or will the screw just self tap the plastic in the stock?

The pre-drill should be the size of the shaft of the screws, if you are using the screws from the original stock, which I do recommend. Use a quality screwdriver with a well fitting blade. Put a drop of oil in each hole before screwing them in. Take your time and make sure they get started straight. The forward screw can be difficult if it goes in at an angle.

Well, about 98% done. Had to re-disasemble the whole thing once to cut more out of the BOH latch. The BHO spring was about the easiest thing to go together! The Kvar stock was a b!tch to get in...filed a little bit off (and could probably still use more). It actually knocked 2 of the plastic hole plugs out, so I need to replace them. Did a slight polishing of hammer, bolt, rails and this thing feels SMOOTH!!! Didn't go overboard, just used a brown buff wheel on the dremel. Did use a pad and some polishing compound on bolt where it rubs on the shells. Hoping to get out today and run it a little. Here is a pic.

IMG_0412_zps070d6df6.jpg?t=1359647127

• Like 1