i was re certifying my CPR card today and was talking about safety kits on the job and a heavy highway construction guy mentioned about how they have anti venom snake kits and since all poisonous snakes in pa fall under pit vipers you would only need one kind of kit. i asked him where i could get one of these kits since it doesn't need refrigerated? might come in handy. during fishing season, but he couldn't give me no answers and i googled it a but no luck. anybody with any ideas, comments, experience, stories?

My understanding is the modern pit viper anti-venom is called "cro-fab" it does require refridgeration. It's also comes with a high possibility of alergic reaction. There is a large list of qualifiying factors to eliminate before you want to try and use it, and it can take quiet a bit to nullify the effects of invenomation. Especially in the case of a large timber rattler, they can deliver a copious amount of venom.

I'm curious about what kind of kit he's talking about. I know they sell those "snake bite kits" with a suction cup and trounacate, those are all I know of. Would be a good inclusion for a survial kit if anti-venom and proper training is availible.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

I've always heard those snake-bite suction kits are nothing but snake oil (pun intended). Anyway, I was under the impression that anti-venom needed to be administered intravenously and wasn't something like you could just give a shot in the thigh with. I think a pair of snake chaps, long stick, and enough sense to not stick your hand in snaky-looking shit would serve anyone much better than some kit.

• Like 6
I think a pair of snake chaps, long stick, and enough sense to not stick your hand in snaky-looking shit would serve anyone much better than some kit.

Wish I'd heard this a long time ago. When I lived in Oklahoma I liked to play with/antagonize rattlers (stupid is as stupid does). Yes, I know I'll hear from PETA now.

Speaking of snakes, I had to rid a garage the other day of a copperhead.

They're active already? Guess that's one advantage of living in the frozen north. Probably the only one.

• Like 1

Thankfully there are no indigenous poisonous snakes in western Washington. I hate every last one of them. When I travel I just make damn sure I don't get bit. If I do, with my limited knowledge my snake bite kit will probably be my cell phone.

Snakes dont bother me none. I like them. I wont kill them, but many people do.

I think a pair of snake chaps, long stick, and enough sense to not stick your hand in snaky-looking shit would serve anyone much better than some kit.

Wish I'd heard this a long time ago. When I lived in Oklahoma I liked to play with/antagonize rattlers (stupid is as stupid does). Yes, I know I'll hear from PETA now.

Speaking of snakes, I had to rid a garage the other day of a copperhead.

They're active already? Guess that's one advantage of living in the frozen north. Probably the only one.

We've had a mild winter this year. I've seen turtles on logs in November and December of last year on some days. lol.I think the snake took refuge in the garage this past fall and made it a home. But with that said, Copperheads are pretty snakes.

• Like 1

We run into every venomous snake Florida has to offer at work regularly. (Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes, Timber Rattlesnakes, Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Coral Snakes, and Water Moccasins). Since I work out on over half a million acres of Military Test Ranges, the Emergency Room is never close by. I carry an IFAK and a Snake Bite Kit for that reason. We do wear chaps or boots if we have to get into the thick stuff. Don't mess with a snake unless you really know what you are doing. (My preferred method is a pistol with snakeshot). We have run into Eastern Diamondbacks that are so big, they look like they would break your leg if they hit you. Learn what to do if you receive a snake bite and how to treat it. Injecting yourself with anti-venom may make you react worse than the initial bite. Also, learn how to identify what bit you to help the docs help you.

• Like 2

Growing up in PA, I've seen most of the ones mentioned above. It's pretty scary how BIG those Eastern Diamondbacks can get! :eek:

One of my neighbors discovered a Copperhead coming out of the stacked-shale wall next to her driveway. She called an exterminator and he found an entire next of them in there! Must have been 20 little ones in addition to a few adults! :o

CO2 fire extinguisher works wonders! :up:

Growing up in PA, I've seen most of the ones mentioned above. It's pretty scary how BIG those Eastern Diamondbacks can get! 015.gif

One of my neighbors discovered a Copperhead coming out of the stacked-shale wall next to her driveway. She called an exterminator and he found an entire next of them in there! Must have been 20 little ones in addition to a few adults! ohmy.png

CO2 fire extinguisher works wonders! 032.gif

does the co2 kill them or is it more like smoke to bees?

my oldest daughter was bit my a baby rattler when she was 2 1/2 scared the crap out of me and my x wife. we were 80 miles from a hospital and my truck would govern out at 100 we hauled ass to the ER. we got very lucky. the Drs said it was dry bite from a young snake that didnt inject. her leg swelled up a lot but no other ill effects thank god. had it injected it would have easly killed her. I hate snakes and kill every one I see.

my oldest daughter was bit my a baby rattler when she was 2 1/2 scared the crap out of me and my x wife. we were 80 miles from a hospital and my truck would govern out at 100 we hauled ass to the ER. we got very lucky. the Drs said it was dry bite from a young snake that didnt inject. her leg swelled up a lot but no other ill effects thank god. had it injected it would have easly killed her. I hate snakes and kill every one I see.

It wasn't a dry bite because it was young.Snakes are born with every bit as much control of their venom delivery as an adult. It was a dry bite because venom rarely used as a defensive weapon. They aren't really out to get us, but certainly are capable of delivering a fatal bite to a baby, and even many adults. Really glad your daughter was okay, I imagine that was utterly terrifying.

I've messed with many snakes over the years, and have been fortunate enough no to get bit. When I find them on my property I throw them in a trash can and dump em back in the bayou. I'm not exactly plagued with them though either. I might find one or two a year, that were brave enough to cross the back fence with the dogs.

Edited by poolingmyignorance
  • Like 1

One of my neighbors discovered a Copperhead coming out of the stacked-shale wall next to her driveway. She called an exterminator and he found an entire next of them in there! Must have been 20 little ones in addition to a few adults! :o

CO2 fire extinguisher works wonders! :up:

does the co2 kill them or is it more like smoke to bees?

I'm gonna guess when they shatter, they're pretty much dead. ;)

• Like 1

Just got done with a Wilderness Medicine conference. I've never heard of a kit that has CroFab in it. Stuff is crazy expensive and can require 4-6 vials at $4500 for 2 vials (given 2 vials at a time). It is mixed in some IV fluid and then run in over 1 hour. Dose is same for kids since it's based on amount of venom not size of victim. The CroFab covers Western, Eastern diamond backs, Cotton mouth, and Mojave. About 25% of bites are dry but symptoms of a wet bite can be delayed up to 12 hours. The suction kits and especially cutting kits are of no proven value. Ice, pain meds (though avoid Ibuprofen if possible), and ER. Best/cheapest policy......don't screw around and get yourself bit.

Edited by well2160
  • Like 1

Salt - I don't think you'd even need it. Little guys have never managed to break my skin - do they even have teeth? I thought they only had bony ridges for crunching up insects.

Snake bites are nasty. Here our ER sees bites daily. I was talking to a local doc just last week and he said.he treated a bite from a little 8 inch rattler that took over 20 vials of crofab to treat. He says its more common for large snakes to just bite and not envenomate than the little ones.

I am allergic to horses and went into anaphylaxis when antivenin was administered after I was bitten by a western rattler. The snake bite was uncomfortable, but the antivenin nearly killed me.

Antivenin is basically centrifuged white blood cells from horses or other animals with a natural immunity to snake venom that is administered intravenously into your blood stream.

It is not cheap - the prick test and the lot that caused anaphylaxis cost about $15,000. So no, there aren't readily available kits with antivenin in them available to the general public.

I had multiple skin-deep incisions made to drain the blood out of my arm and hand where it became extremely swollen. Since viper venom is a hemo-toxin, it creates massive swelling which restricts blood flow to the point of necrosis.

If you are allergic to horses or other fur-bearing mammals, stay away from snakes and venomous spiders... it won't end well for you!