the shed idea is awesome. when we were shopping for houses, we looked at one where the owners had put together one of those pre-fab shed kits with loft, except these people had insulated it, ran water and power out to it, and turned it into a detached office/craft shop. if we stay in our current house long enough for me to lose my current office room to a kid, I think that's what I'll end up doing.

Just a suggestion that makes a shop easier:

Lotsa outlets as said before. Also, the handiest thing is to run a couple of rows of outlets and a similar row of air line with quick couplers on the ceiling. Every 6-10 feet have a couple hanging just above head level. Then wherever you are working, you can reach up and plug in, and never trip on a cord or tangle around stuff.

An I beam track with chain hoist is pretty nice too, for such a cheap thing.

If you are serious about the reloading, consider setting up a built in ventilation setup for casting, and all the projects that use solvents.

• Like 1

I built my "dream garage" in the late 90's. Wish I had pics. It was 2 1/2 car with gambrel barn trusses, 10' ceiling (bottom cord on 2x12 yellow pine), walk up loft (5 ft. something ceiling ht in center, because by code I was restricted by overall garage ht. at that time), and a 6'4"H by 6'W headerd enterance to a 10x16 shop area with it's own enterance/exit door at the back of the garage. I built the main workbench so it was fully collapseable for when I wanted to bring my scooters in there to work on. I had a double walled Franklin woodstove in the main part of the garage that was vented through the sidewall, and the heat was funneled through a blower pipe that went into the shop area.

There ain't nothing like having a very heavyduty, wide, long, shelved (drawers and all) worktable in an area of a garage/shed that you can easily walk all the way around with a few feet to spare on the otherside of you, opposed to a workbench that butts to a wall, with a couple electrical outlets built into the table itself, tons of sun bright florescent lighting above you, and like Gunfun said, compressed airhoses overhead. You can even build a small, beefy peg-boarded wall on a section of it, for hanging handtools. The trick is to use framing timber or lots of doug fir. The heavier, the better (less movement). You can even build it on heavy duty casters with locking wheels so you can move it around, if needed.

Don't for get the prized centerpiece... A massive old Wilton vice mounted on one end!

a lot of the codes and permits are a bunch of bullshit they want you to pay them for. my property I will do what I want. My shop is a mess or I would snap a pic. I like the shed for a mancave.

No argument about that at all. They're interested in your property tax money. Anything on a concrete foundation is considered an improvement in my county. This goes for decks too! So, if you set your deck posts in concrete it adds square footage to your house. If you set your posts on deck blocks it does not...

I'm in total agreement that you should be able to do what you want. Around here the county will sue your ass if you get caught though. :(

Just a suggestion that makes a shop easier:

Lotsa outlets as said before. Also, the handiest thing is to run a couple of rows of outlets and a similar row of air line with quick couplers on the ceiling. Every 6-10 feet have a couple hanging just above head level. Then wherever you are working, you can reach up and plug in, and never trip on a cord or tangle around stuff.

An I beam track with chain hoist is pretty nice too, for such a cheap thing.

If you are serious about the reloading, consider setting up a built in ventilation setup for casting, and all the projects that use solvents.

With the electrical, I did the same basic thing except I ran EMT and boxes in a grid along the rafters. There is a double gang box every 4' through the entire ceiling of my garage. Some are designated to be wall switched, others will be constant power. That way I can turn my garage door opener off at the wall (pretty effectively making it a giant chain driven lock) and use pre-wired light fixtures where ever I want them. I can also plug my shop light reels into switched power so I don't forget to turn them off if I leave one hanging under the hood. Every circuit is 12ga and all switches and outlets are 20A.

For the air, I'm mostly hose reels since I rarely want to use the air in the exact same place every time. I have a reel mounted to one of my benches that serves that area well.

• 1 year later...

Well...I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I would use this one.

After much research I went to Northern Tool and bought one of these today. I have burned through two smaller ones in the past five years, this one is beast for my little garage. 230vac, 3-hp, 12-cfm, 60-gal, belt drive. Its a helluva lot quieter than either of the other two I had. Have any of you tried one of these?

post-13516-0-42439800-1416107716.jpg

• Like 1

I'm in a new house and its a disaster after moving in about 2/3's our stuff..  I've got a decent 26x28 attached garage that I'm working on as my main shop area.  Goal is next year to build a 24x24 detached garage to park the wifes vehicle in and any outdoor stuff.(maybe my project '83 T10 that she would kill me if I started on it)

I've got the storage racks from Costco up in the garage and basement.  I do like them. http://www.costco.com/SafeRacks-4%27x8%27-Overhead-Garage-Storage-Rack-.product.100006897.html I pick them up when they run on sale for $150.

I have 2 workbenches, a couple of 2x4x6 shelve systems, 3 tool boxes, a 60gal aircompressor, and a couple of deep freezers in the garage now.

Here are some pics of the garage the day we closed.  I used 5 gallons of paint spraying the walls and ceiling.

20140602_203830_zpsxmsyszhd.jpg

20140602_203805_zpskxygcd2y.jpg

20140602_203757_zpsfezzhpav.jpg

20140602_203750_zpsvwdj4hws.jpg

20140602_203742_zpsgqlt0kon.jpg

20140602_203738_zpswmxvooyf.jpg

20140602_203733_zpst7zkmhqt.jpg

20140602_185148_zpsgcij2uog.jpg

20140602_185143_zpsemfuocds.jpg

I did end up painting the siding inside the garage white on the house.  Definitely made it look much better.  The stains on the ceiling were from before when the roof leaked.  I dont mind that they had paneling up throughout it actually adds something to the inside over OSB or sheetrocked walls and ceiling.

Granted I will be redoing the electrical in the garage for the sake that its just way fvcked up.  I'm not pulling down the paneling I will be running outlets and wire in conduit surface mount

Edited by montec

Well...I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I would use this one.

After much research I went to Northern Tool and bought one of these today. I have burned through two smaller ones in the past five years, this one is beast for my little garage. 230vac, 3-hp, 12-cfm, 60-gal, belt drive. Its a helluva lot quieter than either of the other two I had. Have any of you tried one of these?

attachicon.gifphoto.jpg

I've got one I bought from menards years ago.  loud as hell but I haven't had it permanently mounted yet.

Geez Man! Is that a garage or a bunker? I want to do something similar once the girls are gone, and we can build on land. I want a fully poured daylight basement where one room is fully surrounded by 18-24" of concrete with a vault door hidden behind a false wall. It will be a walk in safe, prep room, and safe room for tornadoes. Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

• Like 2

Ha ha, yeah my neighbors call it the bunker too. I'm limited on flat ground here so in the hillside it goes. Plus I like the idea of having the geothermal effect. Constant 52 degrees 6' deep.

One of the spaces between the buttresses will be ideal for a vault 11' X 16'

I'm doing the whole thing myself (90% by myself) with no practical experience with that kind of work so it's been a lot of learn as I go.

So far, over 6 tons of re-bar and 84 yards of concrete.

I'm shooting for completion by end of summer 2015.

Wish I could just hire a contractor to finish it up but haven't won the lottery yet so...

• Like 2

Long Shot, is there any concern for heavy rains/mud slide..? How tall are the side walls..? Looks good for someone who doesn't do this type of work for a living.!! Very nice.!!

I'll check those compressors out AA, I like the fact that its made in the U.S....!!! 

I thought I went big enough when I built my garage, 32X56 12 ft side walls, hopefully a 10k lb lift someday, 5 yrs later I wish it was 40X60, pole building.

Just go BIG when you build, add 10% to you plans..

• Like 1

Long Shot, is there any concern for heavy rains/mud slide..? How tall are the side walls..? Looks good for someone who doesn't do this type of work for a living.!! Very nice.!!

Yeah, backfill before winter would have been preferable.

The hillside is quite stable and it almost never rains here in western Oregon.

The walls are 16' high. I did have help the day of the pour plus advice / direction from a family member who does do it for a living.

One thing I have verified, I do NOT want to make a living with concrete work. :haha2:

• Like 2

I'm in the beginning stages of seeking financing for a new garage/shop.  I currently have an old, leaky one stall and want a 3 stall with loft.  Going to have it plumbed and gas ran.  

Has anyone financed a garage addition and what kind of loan did you get?  It seems as if old fashioned construction loans have been replaced with home equity loans.  I don't really want an equity loan.

Yes, in a perfect world I would pay with cash up front and go from there.  However, I know this is going to be VERY pricey and that is not a realistic option.

I'm in the beginning stages of seeking financing for a new garage/shop.  I currently have an old, leaky one stall and want a 3 stall with loft.  Going to have it plumbed and gas ran.  

Has anyone financed a garage addition and what kind of loan did you get?  It seems as if old fashioned construction loans have been replaced with home equity loans.  I don't really want an equity loan.

Yes, in a perfect world I would pay with cash up front and go from there.  However, I know this is going to be VERY pricey and that is not a realistic option.

As bad as it is, I plan on using my Home improvement CC to finance mine.  I wont have any equity to take out on my house in less then a years time before I start building the second garage.  Granted I plan on doing all the work myself.  So putting it on the cards I'll take advantage of 0% for 12 to 24months depending on the promo and how much I spend in a shot.  I plan on doing the framing this winter in my garage and then putting it up like a panel building.

Cars don't go in the garage... Bikes do. Four wheeled vehicles are kept outside. I need the shop space. Right now its a wreck. I still have the smoker project on the ground a yamaha on the lift, and more of other peoples bikes in there than my own. When clean it looked something like this...
28700_1443786050497_6001421_n.jpg?oh=9fb

Key features in mine are a large cluttered workbench, Lots of toolboxes full of tools, can't have enough of these... 12 ton hydraulic press, bench grinder, bench buffing wheel, small drill press, 80 Gal air compressor, Mig and stick welders, oxy acetaline setup, pneumatic bike lift, Fridge for cold beverages, and kegerator, because I always wanted one. its about 1300 square foot with 12' high ceilings.

The current project is looking like this... the bike I'm standing behind in the above pic offered a lot of learning, but wasn't salvageable, so its being used for donor parts and materials on version 2.0

10557434_10204578231551603_6174304567275

Probably not what your looking for, but my recommendations are these.

1: it can never be big enough. Garages fill themselves.

2: outlets: No one ever complained about having too many in a shop environment.

• Like 1

Outlets I say atleast one set every 4ft minimum.  That is unless that wall is covered with cabinets or shelving that you will not get too.  Garages are never big enough.  Ideally I would have a 60x80.  Tried to convince the wife to do a 80x120 and have 40x80 as the house and the rest as the garage.  Needless to say she didn't like the idea of living in a pole barn.

As you can see from my picks the only outlets I have is the one for the garagedoor opener, one on the wall by the basement stairs and there is 2 along where the house and garage attach.  Oh and the 2 on the house are both on seperate breakers no where near associated properly in the breaker panel.  Fun times ahead playing with sparky.

I'm in a similar situation. I bought a 900 sq ft house with a large lot in a very good neighborhood 6 years ago with the plans of adding on over time. However because of how loans are now structured its very difficult to get construction loans. For me , this may be a blessing in disguise as a farmhouse sitting on two acres near me just came up for sale so I may just move

However to the point, tundra, I may know of an option for you. Ill try to pm you tonight

Btw longshot, damn, that is one hell of an impressive undertaking there. Best if luck to you and please keep us updated on the progress. I'd love to see it

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...