It is pretty much done, at least for now

It now is one complete color. It has been in the works for about a month now. Mostly because I was waiting on parts to be in stock. I placed three seperate ordered to CSS in a week.

The only thing left to do is chop the barrel and permenently attach the flash hider back to 18.25". I am going to replace the front handguard with something else, just haven't decided what yet. I am thinking about a rifle forearm with with a rail added, I got one for shipping costs. I have also considered a MP5SD handguard or even trying to fit a regular MP5 handguard just to see if I can do it.

If I go with a MP5 handguard I will grab a Nordic Components collapsible stock that is similar to a MP5.

It has a TAC47 auto plug (thanks RED333), the side rail was removed and the holes welded closed, I used a dual hook trigger to make a custom trigger that feels better than any other AK I have ever pulled. The bolt has been profiled and polished with reliability in mind. It has a CSS gas puck (it was easier to order than make one), That is a ACE folder that is 8.5" long with a 1/2" pad and the grip is a MD Arms Molot style.

I put a few hundreds round through it yesterday before painting and now I realized how much I missed having one.

IMG_0046_zpsa2b6fd3e.jpg

IMG_0047_zpsec972151.jpg

IMG_0048_zpsf69b2646.jpg

IMG_0050_zps58a22814.jpg

Enjoy

• Like 1

It is a lot better now that I got the gas right with the Tac-47 AutoPlug. I swapped the Tapco hammer for a factory hammer after I realized the hammer was causing it to bind up some for some reason. I think it needs to be shot a lot more as well because it looked brand new inside when I got it.

I fired a few hundred rounds yesterday and had it happen a few times. No specific mag was doing it.

I will say it is odd that the empties are ejecting at the 1 o'clock position. I can probably fire a round then shoot the empty with the next round. I know it is bouncing off the charging handle but my last Saiga consistently ejected at the 3 o'clock position. I wish I could figure that out but it is a lot better.

I will say it is odd that the empties are ejecting at the 1 o'clock position. I can probably fire a round then shoot the empty with the next round.

I'd like to respectfully request immediate video of this as it woud be very fucking cool.

• Like 1

I'm really liking the look of your Saiga 12. Not too much done too it. I'm pretty much a noob with sights, what are those HK-style irons you have? All I could find on google were ones that attached to some sort of rail.

I'm really liking the look of your Saiga 12. Not too much done too it. I'm pretty much a noob with sights, what are those HK-style irons you have? All I could find on google were ones that attached to some sort of rail.

Looks great! I would also like to know what sights those are.

Edited by mi90cle

For the front I went with the CSS version:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-362/Tromix-HK-Saiga-Sights/Detail

For the rear I used the base from here:

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3rearsight.html

I already had the rear sight so I didn't need to buy it but you could also get it from Robertrtg or the complete, ready to go, kit from CSS.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-233/Tromix-HK-Saiga-Sights/Detail

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-362/Tromix-HK-Saiga-Sights/Detail

I already had the rear sight so I didn't need to buy it but you could also get it from Robertrtg or the complete, ready to go, kit from CSS.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-233/Tromix-HK-Saiga-Sights/Detail

Thnx, was just about to ask...

So you were saying you had last round FTE using the auto plug? Mine does that too, doesn't matter what mag is in there. Runs perfect with bulk ammo until it hits the last round. Hammer issue?

Bitchin, thanks. If I were to buy an HK sight kit, and needed it installed by a gunsmith, what kind of questions would I ask to make sure the guy knows what he's doing?

So you were saying you had last round FTE using the auto plug? Mine does that too, doesn't matter what mag is in there. Runs perfect with bulk ammo until it hits the last round. Hammer issue?

Not enough gas. I added a few ports and it is shooting fine now.

Dolomite

I drilled my 4 port a few nights ago to .093" and its eating anything and everything with the autoplug now. Pretty happy!

I was fighting a stovepipe issue so I drilled mine out and added some ports. I now have three ports at .093 and two ports at .055". I was told to add a single .078" port but I was worried about getting into one of the other ports. All are angled back and along with the autoplug keeps the gas chamber pretty clean. When I used the DPH or standard plug they chamber would get some crud in it. Now it is staying clean and the only thing I can think is the crud is blowing out the ports of the auto plug.

It was shooting fine before but one of the smaller ports was partially blocked under the gas block. I used a 21/64 drill bit to open up the opening for the gas ports. Everything is exposed now and I will shoot it some tomorrow and set the auto plug for good.

I have zero intentions of shooting anything other than 2 3/4" shells. And the defensive ammo I use generally is the low recoil stuff. And if I ever dcide I need to shoot heavy stuff I will install the DPH plug.

Dolomite

How did you attach the HK sights I dont see any welds showing, looks very good!

Duct tape, bailing wire and an old piece of spearmint gum.

Seriously though, The weld put 4 very small tig welds on the rear and two on the front. They are deep enough to hold it. I have fired about 600 rounds since the weld and they are holding up great. I have also beaten the gas block off three times now and the sight isn't offering to move at all.

I told him to weld just enough to hold so it will minimize any chance of warping the gas block. So there is a weld that is 1/8" wide on both the front and back in the center. On the rear the same 1/8" wide welds are at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.

I am very pleased with the sights. The ACE folding mechanism has developed a wobble in those 600 rounds that I do not like so it has to go back. I might try one of the push buttom mechanisms next. I sure am not going to go with another ACE spring loaded folder. I really wish Bonesteel would produce just the folding hinge.

How did you attach the HK sights I dont see any welds showing, looks very good!

Duct tape, bailing wire and an old piece of spearmint gum.

Seriously though, The weld put 4 very small tig welds on the rear and two on the front. They are deep enough to hold it. I have fired about 600 rounds since the weld and they are holding up great. I have also beaten the gas block off three times now and the sight isn't offering to move at all.

I told him to weld just enough to hold so it will minimize any chance of warping the gas block. So there is a weld that is 1/8" wide on both the front and back in the center. On the rear the same 1/8" wide welds are at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.

I am very pleased with the sights. The ACE folding mechanism has developed a wobble in those 600 rounds that I do not like so it has to go back. I might try one of the push buttom mechanisms next. I sure am not going to go with another ACE spring loaded folder. I really wish Bonesteel would produce just the folding hinge.

I have a push button folder and it wobbles too.

My older style ACE pushbutton does a bit vertically, but there is a set screw to take the side to side play out. It maybe moves 3/32" up and down at the buttplate. I don't love the wiggle, but it does not interfere with shooting it at all. My understanding is that ACE changed the design of their newer folders for a more solid mechanism.

If you want zero play, Stormwerkz Ace style seems to have people who are picky about this happy.

Obviously the bonesteel mech has had very positive customer reviews of this aspect. I haven't used one personally but I would consider it as an option for those with a tang. You can pick up a new rear trunion and tang and rivet that sucker in for very little money if this is what you want. (or weld the tang back on what you have.)

People complain about the expense and effort required to retrofit an AK100 folder, but they are much more solid when locked open, fold more compact, are more ergonomically similar to the WARSAW stocks, and lock in the folded position more positively than any aftermarket folding option. If there were a less expensive and easier to install option out there that rivaled the AK100, trust me, I would be using it.

Until that product is available.... AK100 is King.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

FWIW, I really like my Bonesteel. Simple. Solid. Lets me use an adjustable length of pull, AR style stock Magpul CTR.

Quit talking up the AK100 stock system. I don't have the money for that right now. Get ye behind me, EVL!!! horror.gif