My S223 now takes unmodified 30rd mags!!

30 minutes after getting home with my new Saiga 223 I had it taking 30rd bakalite mags!! All I did was grind down the lip right below the mag catch & the lugs (I guess that is what you'd call them) that contact the front of the mag when it is inserted. Sorry I don't have any pics, no camera. I'll borrow my girlfriend's digi cam and post some pics as soon as I get a chance.

Edited by icarus

Thanks KY. I wasn't resizing them and so they were to large to add.

The factory mag still works so I think I'll keep it. It is a little lose, but not much.

post-2100-1136177202_thumb.jpg

post-2100-1136177330_thumb.jpg

post-2100-1136177429_thumb.jpg

post-2100-1136177542_thumb.jpg

Edited by icarus

Welcome LAD.

Thanks for your pictures and attempt to share. Unfortunately, we have a language barrier issue. Too bad. We are very interested in what you are trying to share. Good pictures though.

Thanks again.

Wolverine

30 minutes after getting home with my new Saiga 223 I had it taking 30rd bakalite mags!! All I did was grind down the lip right below the mag catch & the lugs (I guess that is what you'd call them) that contact the front of the mag when it is inserted. Sorry I don't have any pics, no camera. I'll borrow my girlfriend's digi cam and post some pics as soon as I get a chance.

Congrats!! That's the mod I have been talking about that I did. You simply returned the rifle to to mil specs. The only othewr thing yo may have to do touse all known 5.45 or .23 ak mags is ream a bit of a feed ramp at the bottom of he chamber opening. Great going dude! A bullet guide is still needed usually. You didn't mention anything about that.

Edited by inparidel

Actually I'm adding a bullet guide right now. When the mag is in the rifle the rounds in the left stack feed w/out a bullet guide, while the rounds in the right stack need a bullet guide.

Inparidel, did you add a bullet guide or did you just grind a feed ramp in the chamber? You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you?

Edited by icarus
do they feed without a feed ramp on the mag?

Yes. That's the point. The "feed ramp" on the mag is the factory solution to legal importation. When you add the mil spec bullet guide and restore the lug length to mil spec, and modify the 5.45 mag followers to accommodate the narrower .223/5.56 mm NATO rounds, all mag "feed ramps" are just an import friendly nightmare that is over.

BTW, if you use the Bulgy black polyamide 5.45 mags that I do, you do not need to do those two feed grooves in the bullet guide. That's the system that the Romanians use in their .223.5.56 mm (SAR 3). If you make those grooves, you will need to grind the feed lips of the mag so the rounds come straight out of the left and right sides of the mag, as opposed to the rounds being sent to the middle of the bullet guide as the black poly amides do in the Russian and Bulgy .223.5,56 mm rifles (and the 5.45 rifles). Romania and Russia/Bulgaria heve two different ways of dealing with feeding .223/5.56 mm.

Edited by inparidel
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
what did you use for girnding? in the first pic, i see tha mag release, did you grind something here as well? how deep do you grind?

I used a fiber cuttoff wheel on a dremil (the poor mans mill). That piece that the arrows point at is what I ground down. If you take an unmodded mag and try to fit it in your rifle you'll see where the spine on the mag hits against that part. Just grind enough for the mag to fit.

post-2100-1139848037_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...