2,000,000 Square Foot Luxury Bunker

Man in KS is converting a mine into an "underground cruise ship" for 5,000 people to survive the apocalypse.

He claims 20k people have already applied for the 5k openings so I guess we've missed our chance.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/luxury-shelters-offer-survivor-style-article-1.1452583

5K unprepared people with lots of money and no training.

All locked in a 50 acre underground bunker. It would make the hunger games look like hopscotch. I think it would be the greatest reality show ever.

• Like 1

The owner claims he's not trying to profit off of peoples fears but in the next sentence claims a single nuke exploding above the united states could kill most of its population hahaha. Thn he goes on to mention planet x could pose a danger as well haaahaa

Edited by Yugopap4me

“New York is going to be the worst place, hell on Earth” if the power goes out, Vicino said.

And unless he's got a fission reactor squirreled away in there the power won't last a week. I'd rather be in NY with no power than crammed in with 5000 people in a mine with no power.

That place isn't a cruise ship. It's a tomb.

Edited by Darth Saigus

According to what I read about it, this guy has the logistics covered. The price includes food and water for one year and a parking space for your RV, suites also available. No reactor but a brace of big-ass generators.

My guess is that if it actually happened, some of those that paid in would not make it to the shelter, so probably there will be more than planned.

Kansas is riddled with deep salt mines.

If this guy really is prepared to support 5k people for a year then $20k for 4 is cheap.

EDIT: It's actually $1k per foot of your rv regardless of the number of people, plus $1.5k each for food.

So a 20ft rv with 2 people would be $23k (you provide the rv). Then there is a $3 per foot monthly fee, so $60/mo.

Still not expensive all things considered. If he's really prepared to support 5k people for a year.

But people will go nuts living packed asshole to belly button underground for a year. I'll pass.

Edited by Darth Saigus

The only problem with it is the publicity.

Assuming of course logistics are well planned.

As for the single nuke statement, there is legitimate theory, because there is no real example yet, a single megaton weapon at X height and location Y could kill the grid for years.

No one doubts the result of that if it were to happen.

Its a lot better than being on a Boomer for six months.

But the publicity is a deal killer.

But the publicity is a deal killer.

There seems to be an assumption that those still on the outside will just let them live comfortably in their big hole while those outside starve.

5,000 years of food is going to be a pretty tempting target.

Those generators still have to breathe outside air and exhaust to the outside. A devious sort might choke out the generators and see if somebody opens the big door in a day or two.

I can't imagine someone investing that much money and effort into a bunker of that size not thinking of protecting/hardening they're exhaust ports or God forbid installing oxygen/CO2 scrubbers. No sir, Im guessing that never crossed the mind of the designers.

Yes I'm sure he's a brilliant designer who thought of everything.

In the end they have to get outside air. And no matter how hardened the intakes are they can be defeated unless actively defended.

And defenders will be limited Iin their deployment while attackers are free.

Bunkers are only secure as long as they are hidden or defended. And a defended bunker will fall eventually if enough people want in.

Well it seems such a sophomoric mistake.

Unless the point is to make money now.

First rule right out the box is keeping ones mouth closed. This could have been done without publicity even if not entirely secret.

Now everyone knows not only the layout and contents but location.

Meh guess we may never know.

Out of 5000 people I would assume some would double as security forces. Hell even if its only ten percent that would give you quite the reaction force to deal with aggressors. Couple that with multiple egress points and you would be pretty set. Once shit calmed down it would make s hell of a nice command and control location to begin rebuilding. There is no way to plan for everything but I would think they have they're basics covered. Hell look at Norad. Everyone knows where that is but you probably wont see hordes of people trying to get in. I am not a fan of static defenses but I applaud this guy for trying.