I WANT a new BOLT ACTION Rifle...

Ok... heres the scoop...

The gun fund is soon approaching, and the itch needs to be scratched.

Saigas aside, I am looking to add another BOLT ACTION to the cache.

I was thinking I would like to get something in .30-06 as it is a mid level caliber, ammo-a-plenty, and is suitable for hunting creatures that my .204 and .50 BMG are not. ( Meaning that it will do the larger game animals, the .204 isnt quite gun enough for... and the fifty is just too damn big to lug around in an actual HUNT situation as its close to 45 lbs.)

I want something accurate... meaning when I shoot 3-5 rounds, those three to five holes overlap at 100M.

I would like to incorporate the following aspects into my "wish list"

.30-06 Caliber

Laminated stock (Thumbhole stock If possible)

Stainless Heavy Barrel

Free Floated barrel (Bedded action Etc..etc..)

Adjustable trigger ( to a minimum of 1.5 lbs or so)

COST UNDER $800.00

All those things considered... what can you folks suggest that will fit my desires???

I think I am asking for a tall order, here...

I already have a rifle in mind, although I need to make some sacrifices on my "wish list"...

I have been SERIOUSLY looking at the Remington XR100 rifle. but it is NOT stainless, and only comes in .308 ( which would be my second choice of caliber. ) I could have them CUSTOM MAKE me one... but then it gets into stupid money... and we arent going there.

I am completely open to suggestions, and comments and Ideas... so lets here them folks... put it this way... If someone handed you $800 bucks and said go buy a .30-06 ( keeping as close to the "wish list" as possible) What would *YOU* buy... and WHY!?!?!?

Thanks!!! :up:

:smoke:

Close?

Just to expand a bit:

I shoot Model 70As (30 year old budget guns, tapered standard blue barrel, walnut monte carlo stocks) that are rediculously accurate (3 shots in a single hole at 100 yards, cloverleaf at 200 on a calm day with hand loads) with no work done on them other than maintenance and mounting a 3x9 scope. Trigger pull feals like a lawyerly 4 lbs and breaks like a glass rod.

Edited by Rusty

Can I just ask why a 30-06? I'll agree it's a great round, but isn't its ballistic profile a bit more unpredictable than a 308, .300 mag or 7mm mag?

I'd take a VERY serious look at the Sako 75 Synthetic Stainless, the Tikka Varmint Lite (Special Order), Tikka Lite Stainless (also check laminated stainless), or Savage 116FCSS.

The Sako 75 is by far the nicest, but most expensive. The Tikka is just a cheaper Sako. And the Savage is affordable, box-fed, and has one of the best triggers you could hope to find. Those are my suggestions.

Edited by AegisDei
Can I just ask why a 30-06? I'll agree it's a great round, but isn't its ballistic profile a bit more unpredictable than a 308, .300 mag or 7mm mag?
Course your target rifle and match grade ammo options will increase greatly if you went to 308.

THATS EXACTLY the reason for this post!!!!!

So far, it sounds like the Remington XR100 in .308 will be the way to go... with the only trade off is the NON stainless barrel, and scrubbing the .30-06.

See the thing is... I *DONT KNOW* why I want a 30-06... JUST TO HAVE one, I guess would be the best answer... If a .308 will be MORE accurate, and hit just as hard at comparable ranges, then SURE... the .308 is the way to go.

I always thought the '06 had more options for bullet weights/velocities... but if those options DO NOT equal accuracy, then there is truly NO POINT...

Please keep the replies coming, gents... they are appreciated...

remXR100.jpg

Remington XR100 :up: :up:

Best reason for a 30-06 bolt ---AMMO! The 30-06 ammo is available in more "flavors" than any other. I have shot everything from 55 grain accelerators to 220 grain cast shoulder bruisers! Any round available in .308 is duplicated in 30-06, but the other zillion 30-06 rounds are NOT duplicated in .308! The old '06 has been around 100 years, there is no other round that has had the kind of ammo development that the '06 has. Also there is more '06 ammo around than any other 2 callibers combined. This is the only combo ('06 bolt) that can be used for varmint at 400 yd. AND bear/moose at 100 yd. Throw in ranging,AP,incendiary, and tracer milsurp- you get the closest thing to a "universal" rifle ever made.

G O B

I have no doubt the 30-06 is the most versatile round/gun there is. As GOB said, any animal and all weights are available. Literally, one gun can cover any North American animal, which is AWESOME, though each different round will shoot much differently and you'd have to re-zero optics with any major change. This is not a big deal, and it's a helluva a lot cheaper than rockin' out 3 or 4 rifles to cover everything from rabbits to mooses, but it's tougher to get used to the rifle. It really depends on what you're looking for.

If you're main purpose is hunting and you want versatility, the 30-06 is great. If you want match-grade accuracy, you probably want a round that will always shoot the same and you won't have to adjust to different bullet weights. Also, most 30-06 have a more parabolic trajectory than a 308 or especially the magnum rounds. Supposedly, the 308 is the most consistant round available, and that's why it's used by snipers world round. The 300 ultramag will outshoot a 308 in perfect conditions, but the 308 will almost always behave the same whereas the 300mag will depend on everything from wind to temperature and humidity. The 30-06 will be less picky than the 300mag/ultramag, hurt less to shoot, and cost less, but it won't be quite as consistant as the 308, or at least to my understanding.

338 Lapua would probably be the most accurate round. I believe it's heavy enough not to be finicky. You'd be best off to reload it yourself so every round would be consistant, and talk about a fast moving flat shooting round. Yeehaw!!! But if you're looking to stay under $800 and not lose your shirt on ammo, 308 is probably best. Might look into a Remington 700, Tikka, Sako, or Savage. Sako is nicest followed closely by Remington and Tikka. Savage is a category to itself. It's such a great value the others can't really compare.

The 06 is better if you want to use bullets heaiver then 168 grain. Are you going to use this rifle for hunting only? If you are going to be carying it a lot then a heavy barrel probably is not necessary. The Win. M70 fits the specs for a hunting rifle. Thats what I would pick for an 06. The action is very smooth and the trigger is adjustable. If you handload, then you should be able to get at least near the accuracy you want with the bullets you want to use. The 308 does have on advantage. You can get cheap practice ammo in the milsurps. I have a Ruger M77MKII in 308 set up as a scout rifle and that covers the 30 cal for me. Take a look at the new Ruger stainless Frontier Rifle. You would have to put in a Timney trigger but thats easy.

• 2 weeks later...

The 338win.mag. gets my vote it has the 2,900ft.lbs of muzzle energy of the '06 at 200yds and 4,000ft.lbs at the muzzle. I went shopping for a new caliber hunting rifle back in the mid 90's I have an '06 but wanted something bigger for bears. I chose the 338win.mag. for some reason the bears don't like this gun either. The 9,3mm's look attractive too the 9,3x62 and 9,3x64? The 338win.mag is between them and the 9,3x64 is almost the same as the 375H&H mag. I want to get the 9,3x62 and 9,3x64 for bear hunting too for my sons. Bigger is better.....as far as accuracy she'll put two rounds thru the same hole at 100yds taking the "X" right out if i do my part with over the counter new winchester ammo. Finding a good rifle like this is like finding a good women we just don't let them go there both keepers and if she can gut and cook what you shoot thats a plus too.

Edited by Unknown Poster

My 2 cents.

I picked up a Remington 700 PSS in .308 awhile back and flat out love it. The PSS as you probably know does not have a SS barrel, but other models of the 700 can be obtained in SS and in 30-06.

Fist time out to the range, I slapped on the scope and got 3 shot groups overlapping (clover). I'd like to say it was my fine shooting, but to be honest, this thing all but shoots for me.

No rifle in the 700 series to the best of my knowledge has an on the fly adjustable trigger, but drop [ +"remington 700" +trigger ] in google and you'll find more hits on how to modify the trigger than you can count :)

I'm no "expert", but from what I've read,;

1) the 308 is at least as accurate as the 30-06, but many consider it far more accurate.

2) The 308 can take any N. American critter

While I'd recommend a rifle in the 700 family, and in .308 what it all boils down to is how YOU feel. If you pick up a .308 and every day regret not having the 30-06, then buying the 308 is silly since they both do essentially the same job.

You only go through this life once, buy what makes YOU happy.

. . . then post picutres to make US happy! :)

Edited by M15A4spr
While I'd recommend a rifle in the 700 family, and in .308 what it all boils down to is how YOU feel. If you pick up a .308 and every day regret not having the 30-06, then buying the 308 is silly since they both do essentially the same job.

You only go through this life once, buy what makes YOU happy.

. . . then post picutres to make US happy!

Please do not take offense... but thanks for a NORMAL post..! LOL

And in answer to your comments...

The more I talk to folks, and hear from folks here... the .308 it will probably be... although... I have heard some negatives on my first choice of the Remington Xr100... so it may not be that... maybe a savage...we will see... need to keep researching...

and as far as being happy... a gun in my hands does that... no matter what it is! LOL!!!

and PICS?!?!?

you bet your ass there will be pics!! hehehe :up: :up:

Thanks for the input!!! much appreciated!!!

Go for a Savage. If you can't find a 30-06 that you want, and you do get a 308 then: buy/rent a 30-06 chamber reamer. It's as simple as turning the reamer and checking until it headspaces. Don't give up so easy on us Indy.

By the way: 30-06 "may" suffer slightly in accuracy because of greater recoil. That's a BIG maybe. It sounds like the gun you want could easily be fitted with a mercury recoil suppressor (check Brownells) and a quality recoil pad.

I'd take a hard look at Savage if I were you though.

... just my thoughts

Go for a Savage. If you can't find a 30-06 that you want, and you do get a 308 then: buy/rent a 30-06 chamber reamer. It's as simple as turning the reamer and checking until it headspaces. Don't give up so easy on us Indy.

The only problem with that is this...

The receiver will be set for the length of the .308 round... the '06 round is FAR LONGER and would require total retooling of the bolt, and receiver length... etc..etc...

I just dont think it would be that easy to ream the chamber to '06 dims without encountering more "more serious" probs....

Maybe I am wrong?!!?!?

Reaming a 308 chamber out to 30-06 is easy. The feed rails may need to be altered SLIGHTLY, but I doubt it because both have the same body taper. What may be problematic is the length of the magazine. Checking through their website quickly, it seems that they chamber the 308 and the 06 in different lengths (med. and long, respectively). I don't know exactly what this means in real terms: are the receivers/bolts significantly different in length? what about magazine length? etc.

Looking at one up close is really the only way to know.

The other option, and probably even easier, is to buy an '06 and get an aftermarket heavy barrel. If you're still talking about a Savage, you may even be able to replace it yourself. This would be due to the barrel nut that is used on their rifles to secure the barrel to the receiver. Other types of rifles (as I'm sure you know) have the barrel threaded directly into the receiver. Either way, a new barrel on a used rifle isn't the worst you could do.

Much easier to get a sporterized Mauser, O3-A3, ect. Many of these are in excellent shape, and many have scopes/mounts. You should be able to find something for $400.00 or less. A bedding job, or maybe a good plastic stock--still cheap, and does the job.

G O B

Further out, to approx. 1200 meters, Reminton 700 VS SF in .300 Winchester Mag. rather than Rem. Ultra Mag. For about the same manufacturing cost, to move out to 2000 meters, and truely have the versitility to take anything from whitetail on up, in North America, The same Rem. 700 VS only in 338 Lapua Mag.

If I *NEED* to reach out past 300M-500M... I am already covered for that contingency...

.50 BMG ...Nuff said. :up::lol::up:

I'd like to take this oppotunity to point out that both the 308 AND the 30-06 can and have been used successfully at ranges out to, and past, 1000 yards. In point of fact, the 308 caliber Palma Match bullet offered by Sierra (Palma matches are shot with iron sights at ranges from 1000 to 1500 yards) weighs in at only 155 grains.

Lapua used to make a very good long range bullet for the 308 Win./30-06: .309 diameter, 190 grains. It required special reloading techniques to use, but was one of the most accurate (and expensive) bullets ever made. Even today, Sierra still makes a 174 grain Match King in 308 caliber that is designed to remain at super-sonic velocities past 1000 yards when used in the 30-06.

As far as the "variety of ammo" vs. "accuracy" thing goes, the 30-06 is fully the equal of the 308 as far as intrinsic accuracy.

• 1 month later...

I own a Remington 700 Sendero VS SF (heavy barrel stanless and fluted) in a 7mm STW with a Leupold VariX3 50mmX6.5X20 scope. To bad you didn't talk to me 5 months ago when I was trying to decide to sell it (would have been $1100 with scope 200 rds of brass and reloading dies). Anyway I came to my senses and realized I couldn't replace it for anywhere near that. But if I went out and bought another rifle it would be in the 7MM Ultra. This replaced the STW. If you look in the Nosler book the speed is very close to a 22-250. And yes I can hammer tacks with it. I shoot at pop bottl caps at 100yds on some days. I have shot everything from Prairie Dogs to Elk with it. I prefer the 160g Nosler Partition for Elk, Mountain Lion etc, and I prefer 120-140g Ballistic tip for smaller game. I have never needed a second shot on an animal with this rifle and I'm really not that great of a shot. The 2 things I did for major improvement was hand loading shells and I sent it in to get Cryo-froze for $60. Like I said I'm not that good of a shot but I shoot like a sniper on this thing. I would try your local dealer for one but I also have 2 dealers here in SD that are awesome to work with. I bought mine from Gary's (http://www.garysgunshop.com/) but I think Cones Gunshop in Centerville is the cheapest and they are excellent to work with and will ship as well. http://www.gunshopfinder.com/bytownresults.asp?ID=4007

Between these 2 I think you will be able to find a nice Heavy Barrel that will fit your needs and for your price range.

post-2989-1143402505_thumb.jpg

Edited by fosgate

I have a 30-06 savage 110. Its a GREAT gun. Ive shot everything from wild boar to deer with it. It never had a problem ( except when I used some crappy American Eagle ammo which would fire worth a damn. I went back to winchester rounds and Remington and havent had a problem since. ive shot it as far as 600 yards ( when i had the right scope) now it shoots about 300 yards. I can consistantly hit a 2 inch circle at 300 yards. The ONLY thing I dont like is its strictly a scope rifle. it has no iron sights so sometimes I take my SKS hunting in the woods because its easier to aim and fire for close range.

Im probably gonna have the Savage taken in and have the gunsmith do a set of iron sights so I can go with that or a scope. Yes there are way better rifles out there but for my needs and the price I cant beat it. you can get a NEW Savage for abotu 400$ or a used one for abotu 200. I got mine from a M C buddy who was shipping out to Irak and needed the $$ for 200$

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Indy,

I was looking at the same situation as you are now, between the .308 and the .30-06 about a month ago... I went with the .30-06 in a Savage. Battlerifle is right, Savage is the name in accuracy. Also, with a barrel wrench ($20) and some headspace gauges, the barrel on the Savage is VERY easy to swap out to go between .308 and .30-06, but only if the rifle was ORIGINALLY a .30-06; the action on the .308 is too short to accomodate the longer .30-06 rounds.