Want a Limited slip rear differential....

As the title states... 

I have a regular differential in my new ram 1500 ( well, its new to me... its an '05... ) I want to replace it with a LIMITED SLIP rear differential.. AKA Posi-traction... so that BOTH rear tires are engaged, not just one, when the other breaks loose...

My question is... should I just cough it up and BUY a new gear set for the rear, or should I try to find one at a junkyard? or???  I don't know much about it... as far as what mopar parts are available, or which aftermarket ones to consider... etc...

All I know is I HATE the regular differential I have now...  my last truck had the "posi" and I LOVED IT!!!!

What route would be the best way to go about it... and which would be the best bang for my buck.. I am unemployed now... so its not like I have "endless" cash flow like I did while working! LOL I need to be frugal... but not really CHEAP... if that makes sense  :):up:

:smoke:

Unemployed and limited cash flow, look into a "lunchbox locker", like an Aussie locker. Its a ratcheting LSD that locks up tight in a straight line and unlocks "ratchets" around a corner. Can be installed in your driveway without removing the gear set, pinion or messing with backlash.

Installing an LSD is not cheap.

What axle and rear gear ratio do you have, Dana 44?

Other brands are,

Powertrax

Lockright

EZ locker

Spartan

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Lunchbox-lockers.htm

Edited by Mullet Man

If its just for off road you can weld up the one you got.

I would look into some dodge forums or something try to find out if there was a factory option for a posi trac abd if so I would then look in junkyards or call junkyards and try to get one that will just bolt in.

I'm on DodgeTalk forums, lots of great info. there! I have an '07 Ram 1500 4x4.  :)

Look in the 3rd Gen forums for your '05, same generation as my '07.

Your current rear should have a sticker on it with the axle ratio. Make sure you get the same ratio in whatever you're shopping for, or you'll have to change the front gears to match! Mine came with the factory LSD in a 3:56.

Its most likely a 44. I don't think they put corporate 8.25's in full size trucks and they wouldn't step up to a D60 until a 3/4 ton, I wouldnt think.

There should be a tag on the housing or center cover with all the info.

A side from that, your code sticker will break down every option your particular truck has (once you decode it, ie; online search). Just gotta find that sticker.

Edited by Mullet Man

If that's what you got from searching that serial number....

That's a corporate axle, basically the same as a D60(beefy). I'm surprised they went that big in a 1/2 ton. 

But parts will be expensive and low on choice since it's a corporate axle and not a Dana. They're out there, I've already come across Eaton truetac LSD's, just in a quick search. 

googling that I see them in the 420.00 and up... seems a lot better than this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-9-25-CORPORATE-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFFERENTIAL-AXLE-OEM-/350482690040?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARam+1500&hash=item519a656ff8&vxp=mtr

although I see some AUBURN GEAR ones in the mid 400 range...  Again... I need to do a bit of research to figure out exactly what I have, to know exactly what I gotta get...

I had an Auburn Ected diff put in my Jeep recently and so far I like it.  It's a standard LSD normally for good winter/overall traction, but flip a switch and it locks up instantly.  Some of the super hard core off road guys don't like them because they run super low ratios and huge tires (which can cause the locker feature to slip), but for my little Jeep it's perfect.  My brother has been running one in his Jeep for several years with good results, also.

Unemployed and limited cash flow, look into a "lunchbox locker", like an Aussie locker. Its a ratcheting LSD that locks up tight in a straight line and unlocks "ratchets" around a corner. Can be installed in your driveway without removing the gear set, pinion or messing with backlash.

Installing an LSD is not cheap.

What axle and rear gear ratio do you have, Dana 44?

Other brands are,

Powertrax

Lockright

EZ locker

Spartan

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Lunchbox-lockers.htm

Funny enough, I was just tinkering with my AMC Eagle wagon today (he he he) that I installed a Powertrax in. VERY easy installation (requires 1 socket 1 wrench to install.. no gear setup required) and works like a champ. It also makes cool (though nearly silent) click-click-click noises just like the big-boy (and hyper expensive) lockers do. You can chuckle at my AMC 4x4 Wagon if you want, but with 3.55 gears, a stick, and that Powertrax it powerslides and cuts donuts just as well as my 5.0 'Stang. :)

With your budget and goals in mind, I would scour the junkyards/craigslist and see about scoring a complete LSD rear axle (around here, that's around $250). Keep in mind that you'll probably have to go through the brakes, oil seals, and maybe some bearings on it for it to be reliable.

If you don't want to go that way, I highly recommend the Powertrax. It does have some advantages over a normal clutch based LSD as well.

a limited slip is just that, it limits, but does not eliminate slip. a locker will positively lock the diff equaling no slip. going lunchbox locker like the Aussie (have one its been great, as has their support for it when i lost a spring)

to put in a LSD you would need to swap the whole carrier and thus re set the gearset. if you run a junkyard one you run the risk of getting a burnt out unit and having to rebuild it. If it was me id lock it, but thats based on what i use my truck for, you dont really say what your using yours for

There is a difference between a Limitrd Slip and a Locker btw.

I know this. Only reason I suggested the lunchbox route (if they are even available for his axle), is because they are the most economical given his mention of unemployment.

a limited slip is just that, it limits, but does not eliminate slip. a locker will positively lock the diff equaling no slip. going lunchbox locker like the Aussie (have one its been great, as has their support for it when i lost a spring)

to put in a LSD you would need to swap the whole carrier and thus re set the gearset. if you run a junkyard one you run the risk of getting a burnt out unit and having to rebuild it. If it was me id lock it, but thats based on what i use my truck for, you dont really say what your using yours for

Well he could potentially find a donor axle with LSD and the correct gear set, yank the entire carrier and ring gear, then reuse all his shims from his axle, check backlash and he might get lucky with the install. But that is alot of work. He'll swapping the entire axle assembly from a donor vehicle might be the easiest, then sell his to recoup some cash....

Lots of options on how to do it. Some time consuming, some expensive, some labor intensive.

I want this for DAILY DRIVING. And for more traction in the winters here in NY where we get snowy roads off and on. 

I just want POWER to BOTH rear wheels all the time.  not like the TRUE differential I have in there now, where if I gun it, only ONE wheel provides drive...

I am not looking for high performance, or huge tires, or off-roading.  ( Sure I might need to drive through a field now and then, nothing CRAZY, though! ) nothing 4 wheel drive cant handle...

I dont need cool noises, or flipping switches...  I just want both rear wheels engaged all the time. ( And I assume LIMITED SLIP, is for turning tight corners, the gotta slip cause one side turns faster than the other... )

Thats all... :D

Right, but I would have (incorrectly) assumed that all trucks in this day in age would have power to both wheels. I'm not understanding why they dont. Seems like a very "truck-like" feature to leave out of a...truck. Unless there is some advantage to NOT having it that I'm missing. Fuck my 77 T/A (I'll make sure the coors gets to that festival don't you worry) has posi, factory, makes a WORLD of difference in inclimate weather, even rain. So why do they omit this on trucks, being that they are made for hauling shit and most likely will see some trail or mud-time at some point?

I want this for DAILY DRIVING. And for more traction in the winters here in NY where we get snowy roads off and on. 

I just want POWER to BOTH rear wheels all the time.  not like the TRUE differential I have in there now, where if I gun it, only ONE wheel provides drive...

I am not looking for high performance, or huge tires, or off-roading.  ( Sure I might need to drive through a field now and then, nothing CRAZY, though! ) nothing 4 wheel drive cant handle...

I dont need cool noises, or flipping switches...  I just want both rear wheels engaged all the time. ( And I assume LIMITED SLIP, is for turning tight corners, the gotta slip cause one side turns faster than the other... )

Thats all... biggrin.png

An LSD won't do that.. Here's a video showing the difference between a LOCKER and an LSD (picture a strip of ice down one side of the road, and not the other, or a boat ramp covered with algae on one side, and not the other).

I won''t get hyper technical since you don't seem to be worried about the technology itself, just that it works and works well. An LSD is just like what it sounds like, LIMITED slip... The video above shows what that really means. A LOCKER is also what it sounds like, there are drive dogs that mechanically engage both axles until rotational speed on each axle is sufficient to achieve break-away torque. The "clicking" I was talking about is the sound of the drive dogs slipping past each other. You won't hear it inside the vehicle. As far as street manners when just regularly driving around, no issues at all.

Here's how to install (please ignore the first minute, and this guy is a jackass... NO need to pull your carrier to do this installation.. I did the same install in the same axle without pulling the carrier):

Anyhow, if you want power to both wheels in a true sense (without going for something like a spool which won't allow and difference in wheel speed at all, IMHO that is not a "street-able" solution) a locker is where you want to be. "Lunchbox" lockers are the most affordable and easiest option to install and operate. Replace the side gears in the carrier and the cross pin and forget about it. It will just work.. No switches or buttons.

Right, but I would have (incorrectly) assumed that all trucks in this day in age would have power to both wheels. I'm not understanding why they dont. Seems like a very "truck-like" feature to leave out of a...truck. Unless there is some advantage to NOT having it that I'm missing.

My experience and opinions are exclusively my own, but I would rather have an open rear end in slippery conditions with a 2WD... Why? With an open rear end both rear wheels won't break loose at the same time... You may not go anywhere, but you won't fish tail into the ditch either. A 2wd with an LSD is just a mistake waiting to hit the ditch... With a 4x4, not a big deal since the front will be "pulling" it in the right direction so the rear is far less likely to walk out. I've had 3 2wd S-10s, with open rear diffs (gear sets ranging from 3.07 to 4.11) over the course of about 15 years and have driven them through plenty of nasty NE Indiana winters. The biggest factor that I've found to success is good tires. I run steel studded snow tires in the winter, no weight in the bed, and have had no issues. I've even tired to make them unstable by straight up banging gears and spinning the tires into 3rd... It just won't happen. The worst any of them have gotten out of shape is about 1' sideways and "drifting" in a straight line with a little steering correct. Get off the gas and push the clutch in and they straighten right out.

So.. In a nut shell, it's not standard equipment because not everyone wants it (same reason not every truck is a 4x4). I would never buy a 4x4 truck w/o an LSD. However, if I lived someplace like FL I may not even feel the need to own a 4x4. So... They offer a flavor to every buyer.

That is all WAY outside of Indy's issue, but I figured I'd offer up my experience since you asked.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Thats all... biggrin.png

An LSD won't do that.. Here's a video showing the difference between a LOCKER and an LSD (picture a strip of ice down one side of the road, and not the other, or a boat ramp covered with algae on one side, and not the other).

I won''t get hyper technical since you don't seem to be worried about the technology itself, just that it works and works well. An LSD is just like what it sounds like, LIMITED slip... The video above shows what that really means. A LOCKER is also what it sounds like, there are drive dogs that mechanically engage both axles until rotational speed on each axle is sufficient to achieve break-away torque. The "clicking" I was talking about is the sound of the drive dogs slipping past each other. You won't hear it inside the vehicle. As far as street manners when just regularly driving around, no issues at all.

Here's how to install (please ignore the first minute, and this guy is a jackass... NO need to pull your carrier to do this installation.. I did the same install in the same axle without pulling the carrier):

Anyhow, if you want power to both wheels in a true sense (without going for something like a spool which won't allow and difference in wheel speed at all, IMHO that is not a "street-able" solution) a locker is where you want to be. "Lunchbox" lockers are the most affordable and easiest option to install and operate. Replace the side gears in the carrier and the cross pin and forget about it. It will just work.. No switches or buttons.

Right, but I would have (incorrectly) assumed that all trucks in this day in age would have power to both wheels. I'm not understanding why they dont. Seems like a very "truck-like" feature to leave out of a...truck. Unless there is some advantage to NOT having it that I'm missing.

My experience and opinions are exclusively my own, but I would rather have an open rear end in slippery conditions with a 2WD... Why? With an open rear end both rear wheels won't break loose at the same time... You may not go anywhere, but you won't fish tail into the ditch either. A 2wd with an LSD is just a mistake waiting to hit the ditch... With a 4x4, not a big deal since the front will be "pulling" it in the right direction so the rear is far less likely to walk out. I've had 3 2wd S-10s, with open rear diffs (gear sets ranging from 3.07 to 4.11) over the course of about 15 years and have driven them through plenty of nasty NE Indiana winters. The biggest factor that I've found to success is good tires. I run steel studded snow tires in the winter, no weight in the bed, and have had no issues. I've even tired to make them unstable by straight up banging gears and spinning the tires into 3rd... It just won't happen. The worst any of them have gotten out of shape is about 1' sideways and "drifting" in a straight line with a little steering correct. Get off the gas and push the clutch in and they straighten right out.

So.. In a nut shell, it's not standard equipment because not everyone wants it (same reason not every truck is a 4x4). I would never buy a 4x4 truck w/o an LSD. However, if I lived someplace like FL I may not even feel the need to own a 4x4. So... They offer a flavor to every buyer.

That is all WAY outside of Indy's issue, but I figured I'd offer up my experience since you asked.

Cool...

SO... I want to be looking for a "LOCKER" unit that fits my specific rear/gear ratio/etc... for my truck, so that once installed... once I give it gas... BOTH rear wheels have drive power... not just one side or the other... biggrin.png

Cool...

SO... I want to be looking for a "LOCKER" unit that fits my specific rear/gear ratio/etc... for my truck, so that once installed... once I give it gas... BOTH rear wheels have drive power... not just one side or the other... biggrin.png

If you want uncompromising rear traction, then yes. A "locker" is the only way to go. The "lunchbox" lockers are the most affordable and easiest to install.

That said, I bought my Powertrax on Epay for like $250, NIB. I had to buy a different $30 cross-pin from Richmond since my application what just slightly different (Dana 35D vs. 35C). Nice price and excellent traction. Stay on the lookout and you can find a deal too!

edit: If you want to take that a step further for completely bad-ass winter traction, toss some steel studded snow tires on both axles in the winter (if legal in your state). To quote the tire store guy talking about his Jeep, "I can't drive up ice covered trees"... Depending on tire size, they're not very expensive. I think my 15" tires were like $70/ea + $12/ea to stud them. I bought some used steelies to mount them on for like $20/ea and just swap rims and tires at Thanksgiving, then back to all seasons at Easter.

Edited by Maxwelhse

Lockers on snow/ice can actually cause problems.  They don't always ratchet when cornering.  They can have a pretty good clunk when turning thus causing you to have some control issues.  I'm not saying by any means that it's not something you can't get used to but if you are looking for great snow traction than stick with an LSD.  

Lockers on snow/ice can actually cause problems.  They don't always ratchet when cornering.  They can have a pretty good clunk when turning thus causing you to have some control issues.  I'm not saying by any means that it's not something you can't get used to but if you are looking for great snow traction than stick with an LSD.  

That's a fair argument to present, especially on ice. Then again, on ice, what really does work well (*ahem* great tires)?