I saw that a while back. It's amazing to me how that thing got through some of the mud and slop that it did! I seriously doubt my 2007 4x4 truck could have gotten through some of that!

I wonder if I can get a similar set of wheels like that on my truck? "Wagon wheels" for sure!  :D

Sometimes not having a lot of torque is a good thing in terrain like that.

Give the same track to someone driving a 500-something horsepower Porche SUV, and they would probably spin the tires and dig right in.

I doubt that old Dodge had much of neither. I'm surprised those skinny tires even got traction. That Porsche SUV would probably have on board technology to provide power to the wheels that need it to push it through the soft stuff.

Torque and horsepower are two different things.

Well.....sort of.   Torque is simply a calculation based on horse power and rpm.

Torque = HP*5252/RPM

Since you're dividing your horse power by RPM, you end up with more torque if you can make a bunch of horse power at low RPM.

If you have to spin the motor up to high  RPM to make HP, your calculated torque number is naturally going to fall off.

Tony

Torque and horsepower are two different things.

Well.....sort of.   Torque is simply a calculation based on horse power and rpm.

Torque = HP*5252/RPM

Since you're dividing your horse power by RPM, you end up with more torque if you can make a bunch of horse power at low RPM.

If you have to spin the motor up to high  RPM to make HP, your calculated torque number is naturally going to fall off.

Tony

Basically, although my understanding is that HP is a derivation of torque at a given RPM, and not the other way around.  The dynamometer measures torque, and then you use that to calculate HP.

Horsepower is a measure of the rate at which work is done, and hence in a reciprocating engine, depends on RPM.

Torque is much more simple to understand, it is rotary force, measured in distance fom axis times the force unit, e.g. Foot pounds.

Heres a simple explanation: one horsepower is 550 foot-pounds per second.

If you want to kill yourself with the math (actually calculus/differential equations) wikipedia has the basics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

I'm sure our resident barrista will be happy to provide a mich better explanation.

Edited by Remek

Horsepower is a measure of the rate at which work is done, and hence in a reciprocating engine, depends on RPM.

Torque is much more simple to understand, it is rotary force, measured in distance fom axis times the force unit, e.g. Foot pounds.

Heres a simple explanation: one horsepower is 550 foot-pounds per second.

If you want to kill yourself with the math (actually calculus/differential equations) wikipedia has the basics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

I'm sure our resident barrista will be happy to provide a mich better explanation.

That is one of the clearest explanations I have come across. Who is the resident barista?

As for the video, I think it was taken because it was impressive driving, and to show off, not because being able to keep going in that muck was the norm. 

A lot of cars got pulled out of the slop by draft horses and tractors.

While of course on the vehicle in question the engine set up is a part of if it will go through or over a surface, most of the time that’s really not the biggest factor. 90% of the 4X4s running around don’t really have 4X4 they’re just running 1 rear and 1 front wheel.

As Mullet Man stated, thin tires for mud. Still go that way in oilfield and farm. Get down to hard base. Same reason an old 2 wheel drive farm tractor can get around a sloppy feedlot, while a 4x4 pickup gets stuck. When muck gets too deep, actually have had to blade to get vehicles through. Where clay is involved, this video wasn't in clay. Top surface gets greasy, slick like ice. Actually got to chain as in snow. Wider tires for sand.