So I've lived in my current house for about six years.  For the first few months after moving in we would here very loud bangs coming from upstairs.  It sounded as if furniture was being overturned or something.  We would check it out and of course nothing was awry.

In bed one night with the wife and what appeared to be a glowing ember floated around the room and disappeared.  

We will catch glimpses of movement out of the corner of our eye quite a bit, when engaged in conversation or watching TV.  I get no malicious vibes or anything but small things like that happen way to often for it to be our imagination.

Halloween time always gets us talking about this kind of stuff, so I've got to ask if anyone else has any good true supernatural stories to share.  I'm sure mine are tame compared to some others.

This is probably my favorite time of year and I love these kinds of stories. I've experienced a few strange things before but nothing in my own, current, home. It's not very old and I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but I'm not a disbeliever either. Sometimes there's a good explanation for things that catch us off guard.

My grandmother lives in South Eastern Kentucky. A house she lived in a few years ago was supposedly haunted and she said that she had heard several strange things when nobody but her was home and even seen a couple even stranger things, as in objects moving or almost like being thrown onto the floor from shelves. My girlfriend and I went to stay a few days with her and see some family. The first evening we were there, everyone was going to bed and we were to take the upstairs bedroom. I have trouble sleeping at night and was watching TV, with the stairway in full view, till I was tired enough to go to bed and my girlfriend had already gone up stairs and laid down. She comes down stairs asking me what I wanted and why I opened the door and didn't come in the room. When I told her that no one had been up there, of course she didn't believe me, but I nor anyone else had gone upstairs. She said that she could hear every step to the door and the door even opened, then shut.

This is a great thread for the season btw!

• Like 1

Last summer I awoke from a dream screaming "I see him, I see him!"  In my dream I was referring to seeing the spirit of my 18 month old boy playfully following me around the house.  I was startled because he is alive and well.  I later confessed the nature of my dream to my girlfriend.  I didn't want to scare her because I dreamt our child was dead.  It was then she told me that when I awoke she saw an orb fly out and hover over my body.

It's eery in the sense that I believe I was being manipulated by energy outside of my own. 

• Like 1

I'm not a big believer of the paranormal, UFOs, Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster,...... Just not. Dead is dead and real is provable.

same with me.

We will catch glimpses of movement out of the corner of our eye quite a bit, when engaged in conversation or watching TV.  I get no malicious vibes or anything but small things like that happen way to often for it to be our imagination.

don't be too sure, the mind plays tricks on you, especially if you take any stock in this hokey  "supernatural" nonsense.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

When my Dad was over serving in Viet Nam (had to be around '71), me, my Mom, and older sister lived in a two story house where we would regularly hear the sound of footsteps coming down the stairway that lead from the second story down to the living room.  The dog we had at the time (a black retriever named Midnight) would bark at the stairs (and the hair would bristle on her back) when the footsteps would happen.  Never saw anything though, just heard the footsteps coming down the staircase.

My uncle Mike (the big skeptic) tried spending a night over at the house once (sleeping on the pull out sofa bed that was down in the living room), but spent the rest of the night in his car out on the driveway when the footsteps started in for him around 11:00 p.m.

As far as I know, the house wasn't that old (and no tragedies had happened in it (as far as I know? :unsure: )) up until that time. One of the later owners of the house supposedly died in a traffic accident a few years after we moved out of that house.

• Like 1

Tis the season alright... I personally believe there are bits of leftover life energy that attach themselves to a certain area for whatever reason. There are way too many accounts that people have studied and tried as hard as they could, using modern equipment, to discount some happenings and even photos. Unfortunately for science there have been just as many people who have used the most modern equipment and gone to haunted places then see or hear nothing. If the "spirits" are able to move things around and do so whenever they choose, then maybe they also choose who they appear to in some way. I have never been one to try and place myself above or denounce spiritual things. True the stronger the belief in the supernatural or paranormal, the more likely to actually feel or sense something, but there are still very very many people who have gotten spooked enough to change their minds after seeing something actually happen. Trying to say there is no such thing as "ghosts" is akin to saying there is no such thing as God, or even aliens. Do I believe we as humans are such elite and special beings that other "life forms" can not possibly exist if I don't happen to see them? Hell no. As huge as the universe is there is no damned way we can possibly be the only living or even spiritually active beings. That could also be true here on Earth in dimensions we haven't discovered yet. Just my opinion...

I did have something extremely weird happen in my home just last week that made me take a step back and go WHOA!!! amazing.gif

I was cooking breakfast one morning and had bacon just beginning to cook in the pan. Left the room to take a leak and when I got back it was cooling down instead of beginning to sizzle. The control was still on Med but the light was off (clock LED) and burner was definitely off. Thought oh well must have popped a breaker or something. Went to the panel, all breakers good. Then I was like dammit the stove must have croaked. I pulled it carefully away from the wall as not to scratch my linoleum floor, looked behind it, and the three prong 230V plug was OUT of the socket and laying at least 6" away from it. Now those plugs are pretty snug and don't just get jostled and fall out. I can't explain it... oh well. horror.gif  Hope it never happens when I have a turkey in the oven...lol. Only other thing besides misc things always getting lost in the house and just gone forever, when nobody ever left with them, have been when I'm down in the basement and heard noises upstairs like someone walking around on my hardwood floors... or bangs in and around the house sometimes that I can't find the source of even right after they happened. I have a huge German Shepherd and he does make loud clomping step sounds walking around, but it has happened before even with him down there with me. I've even sworn I heard someone walking down the hall and right into my bedroom, just on the other side of the 1 1/2" of hardwood & sub flooring just a couple feet over my head. Kinda hard to imagine that without someone or something making that sound. These old hardwood floors creak.  Weird shit.... Good thread.

• Like 1

I'm not a big believer of the paranormal, UFOs, Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster,...... Just not. Dead is dead and real is provable.

I'm not either, but there are some things in this world that just can't be explained...

Moving on... I have no clairvoyant abilities myself and I have never experienced anything supernatural directly, but I firmly believe and trust that my fiance does and has...

What I'm telling you guys here is completely true. I may be an asshole, I may be an idiot, but I'm not a liar.

When we first starting dating I was living in a 100 year old run down shack of a house that the previous owner died owning (probably didn't die IN the house, but died owning it none-the-less).

After about our 5th date at my house she started telling me that she saw/felt was a nice old man "spirit" in the house, and that he was VERY afraid of me (as well he should be... I regulate no matter the ethereal plane). He only "appeared" to her when I wasn't around. When she first told me that, I was thinking "what the hell am I doing with this crazy person?".... (Furthermore, she's a Pagan and has some tats, two things that I didn't look upon kindly AT THE TIME).

Then, a few months later, in the dead middle of the night, she woke up terrified because an "old woman" appeared to her. That old woman appeared familiar to her and she wasn't sure why. She feared that it may have been her great grandmother.

Fast forward 6 hours... The call came in that her great grandmother had indeed died the previous night. I would call complete bullshit on this story if I hadn't lived it. She was crying her eyes out well before she ever knew that she had, in fact, passed away.

-------

Getting into the more creepy side of things... After living in my house for about 3 years (we'd been together for about 4 years at that point, lived together for 3, and she looked at the house with me before I bought it) she started getting the feeling of something in my basement (finished, nice, well lit, all that jazz... not at all "creepy" in terms of basements) that wanted to "hurt her". Frankly, our relationship was a bit rocky at that point as she had just moved away to law school and we were having problems adjusting... Neither of us very happy at that time and I had recently become unemployed to boot. Queue the age old "negative energy invites negative energy" supernatural sermon.

Knowing what I knew about her clairvoyance, I didn't spend more than an hour in my basement over the next 2 weeks (until she could come home to cleanse the house) and pretty much lived in terror for that entire time. My gun safe, my home theater, all the video games (I actually moved my PS3 up to my bedroom), my PC, and all the booze is in the basement... Not more than an hour...

She came home, cleansed the basement with a few incantations, a smudge stick and some sea salt, and no more problems. Frankly, after she was done, I did sort of feel a weight lifted off of me (could have been the relief of "believing" that she had done something, or it could have been genuine relief from a malignant spirit leaving).

------

Anyhow, that's my story, which isn't that exciting. I can tell you flat out that if I really believed that I heard furniture moving on its own or voices or ANYTHING like that, I would be in a hotel and my house would be on the market. I am an extremely skeptical person in general, and even more so when it comes to the supernatural (no... I don't believe in Bigfoot, Nessie, Vampires, or Zombies), but I would be out of dodge. I've lived enough evidence to believe that there are things out there that can't be explained and may not be friendly.

------

So... If nothing else, even if you think I'm insane, that should make for some good Halloween reading for you guys! :)

• Like 1

My youngest sister, (who is 33 now) said that when she was a child that a spirit followed her around for about a week.  It didn't interact with her or scare her, it just followed her around.  She never mentioned it until years later.  I think children and animals can be more in tune with the spiritual world because they haven't created any "blocks" yet.

Buddy of mine was working in his shed and needed a metric size tap for something or other and didn't end up having one.  He went into the house for a minute and when he returned to the shed the exact size tap was sitting on his work bench.  He found out later from neighbors that an elderly man had passed away in the shed.

Some good stories here, keep em rolling!

My youngest sister, (who is 33 now) said that when she was a child that a spirit followed her around for about a week.  It didn't interact with her or scare her, it just followed her around.  She never mentioned it until years later.  I think children and animals can be more in tune with the spiritual world because they haven't created any "blocks" yet.

Buddy of mine was working in his shed and needed a metric size tap for something or other and didn't end up having one.  He went into the house for a minute and when he returned to the shed the exact size tap was sitting on his work bench.  He found out later from neighbors that an elderly man had passed away in the shed.

Some good stories here, keep em rolling!

Where the hell was the ghost of wrenching past when I needed him! I once spent 20 minutes "pinned" under my Mustang from getting my finger caught inside of a cylinder head EGR port (long story)...

Take my advice, remain innocent and naive of it.

After living what I have lived, I agree entirely. Those of us that are lucky enough to be numb to such things should stay that way.

I'll share a few things about where I work.  The building I work in is very old and parts of it are only used for storage.  All of the entrances are magnetically locked and you can't get inside without a key card.  Several people here have claimed to experience some very strange things like water faucets in the restrooms turning on with no one else in the room, seeing people walking past doorways where no one should be, or even hearing people talking in areas that are empty. 

One Friday evening, a female associate and myself were working to get a rushed order out for a customer and we were the only two people in the building.  Most of the building has concrete floors and when a chair is rolled across the floor, you can hear it very well, especially if the building is quiet.  We had been here for a couple of hours and heard what sounded like a couple of people talking and a chair roll across the floor in the next department.  We both heard it and honestly thought someone else was working that evening too.  We got up and even walked through the building to check because no one else was supposed to be there that we knew of.  All the lights were off, everything was shut down, and nobody was anywhere to be found.  We went back to work, turned on a radio and ignored anything else we heard for the rest of the evening.

A guy that previously held my current position was in the back area that we use for storage looking for some bins that we needed.  This area is a very large, long room with 15 foot ceilings and blacked out windows.  He came walking back up front, pale as a sheet and wouldn't talk to anyone for a bit.  He finally said that he would never go back into that part of the building again, and he never did for the rest of his time with the company.  He said he was bent over, going through a large cardboard container of stuff, stood up and turned to walk back out of the room and as soon as he turned around was face to face with another person.  All he got was a glimpse of a face and they were just gone.  I don't know if the guy really saw anything or not, but he refused to have anything to do with that part of the building again and didn't like talking about what he had seen.

Old creepy building with people's minds playing tricks on them? Events playing back over and over like a movie on an ethereal screen maybe? 

I have done security rounds in the defunct "Death House" at Sing-Sing Correctional Facility, where 681 men have been put to death in "Old Sparky". Some say it's haunted. I heard the steam pipes banging...... from steam. It now houses a computer learning lab.

post-23857-0-81508200-1382431365.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool

I've never seen any spirits or ghosts or whatever. The only thing I've seen that I can't explain was a radio changing channels (saw the dial turn myself, as did my Brother). We were renovating a Victorian home for someone and had a portable radio (boom box) sitting in the middle of the room. A couple other people claimed to have heard voices talking at the house (including my Mother), but I never did. The radio got changed from classic rock to a televangelist.

• Like 1

Two weeks before I was supposed to ship off the Boot Camp, I woke up about 5 AM (rare for me). I went downstairs and found my mom cleaning house (normal for her).

She asked why I was awake and I started telling her about the dream that I had....

In my dream...everything was pitch black, I was out of breath, and I didn't know where I was. There were no other details. I thought that was really strange. My dreams are usually strange but detailed.

That night (at about 11 pm) my best friend and I are partying in his back yard around our firepit and hear a party nearby. My buddy climbs up the tree next to us to get a better look. I follow him up. I had about 4 beers at this point.

I'm about 20' up. I can see the party nearby and people laughing and having a good time and then suddenly everything went black.

I woke up at the base of the tree, didn't know where I was (it was pitch black out) and had the wind knocked out of me.

I spent the next two weeks in the hospital with a punctured lung, and I was discharged from my service obligation.

I re-enlisted a year later, got a different MOS, got stationed in Guam and met my wife.

That was 20 years ago.

No ghost stories but, once in a while my wife will have me pick something up from the grocery just by thinking about it.

She laughed the time she and her friend where randomly making pasta for dinner and sent me a mental message to get french bread, on my way home from work.

I walked in the door with a loaf of french bread! :). Her friend was a bit freaked out.

Stuff like this isn't uncommon with us.

Edited by Sim_Player

OK, I've got a couple.

I had a buddy that was a Vietnam vet. I was over his house one night and he showed me a painting he had hanging on the wall.

It was done by his A gunner in Nam shortly before he was KIA. It depicted a US soldier knee deep in water on patrol and was very crudely done.

My buddy said he hated the painting but could not bring himself to take it down.

As soon as he said that the damned thing jumped off the wall and fell behind a dresser.

Not fall off, JUMP OFF. It went up about and inch before crashing to the floor.

We both looked at each other all slack jawed and buggy eyed and left the room quickly.

I'm pretty sure he left it where it fell till he moved from the house some years later.

Second one.

I inherited a table saw from my Grandfather and was using it one day in my garage.

I can't remember exactly what I was doing but I know I was reaching over the running saw in an unsafe way when I felt a very sharp shove on my shoulder

pushing me away from the saw.

There was no one else in the garage with me.

There are forces and things in this world we know nothing about. Of that I am sure.