Apex has 2 top loading Romie 75rd drums for 190.  Still high compared to few years back.  Low now compared to only one.  Always wanted it for the Draco.  More novelty than anything else. 

I'm on the fence with potential purchase.  What do you all think?

I don't really see drums as a novelty, I see them as essential.  Do you want the Ford Mustang with the 4 cylinder or do you want the V8?  The APEX price is an excellent deal for military drums, I would say buy them, they will never be worth less than what you pay for them.

• Like 2

the top loading drums suck like hell to load up. if you're gonna buy a drum, buy the wind-up unit. loads in minutes and doesn't need to be wound up until you're ready to use it.

I'm just waiting for the next deal on wind-up drums to grab one for the RPK.. I don't really care for them otherwise.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

the top loading drums suck like hell to load up. if you're gonna buy a drum, buy the wind-up unit. loads in minutes and doesn't need to be wound up until you're ready to use it.

Was going to ask why and now see the edited post...aside from loading anything bad?

Remember reading positive input on the Romie's but it was awhile back and I could be thinking backwards.  J&G had Romie windups for 70ish during Turkey Holiday.  Wife called me at work and asked me if I knew they were on sale.

Like your analogy HOG76.  My wife wouldn't buy a challenger  unless it had a hemi in it.  She also believes I should pick up the drums.  Same deal about nothing getting cheaper.

Edited by NM0

I'm just waiting for the next deal on wind-up drums to grab one for the RPK.. I don't really care for them otherwise.

Classic Arms has them for $79.99 which is tought to beat, they were 69.99 for Black Friday somewhere.

• Like 1

yeah I edited because I didn't intend to say that they suck, just suck to load, and PITA to clear out if they jam up.

they ARE however the "correct" drum for a Euro AK if that's important to you.

oops I guess I missed that deal. I will probably order one this week then.

Edited by mancat

I picked up a Romy top loader for $70 about a year ago at the local gun show. I love it, no issues and ya, it's heavy, lol. I keep mine as a "starter"/defensive position mag. Keep in mind that drums are notorious for jamming up a weapon (mostly full autos, iiuc) so keep some box mags handy to switch out, jic. But for range use, ya it's just plain fun.

And welcome to the "Drum Corp", enjoy.

• Like 1

I had a top load once and it was a pain and time consuming to load. It worked the one time I dumped it though. If I hadnt sold my ak I would get one of the back load. I bought my top load just after 04 and the rear load werent around like now.

I have both and each has their merits and each has their less desirable traits..

On my Draco SBR, the Romy is easier to shoulder and manipulate.  It doesn't contact my non-firing arm whereas the wind-up does..  But - I wouldn't want to leave the Romy stored fully loaded for an extended time.  The Wind-up can be loaded and stored without tension on the mainspring and spun up when ready to use and I can actually get 76 rounds in it.  But it is more awkward in the weapon as it hangs straight down whereas the Romy cants slightly forward and is somewhat smaller in diameter.

From a rest or bipod, the Romy allows you to get lower to the ground and is overall a simplier mag.  The wind-up is a bit more complex, but allows you to clean, load and / or repair it easier.

All in all, I wish I had more of both.

Macbeau...

• Like 2

edit: oh I missed macbeau's comment above.. basically says the same thing.

another thing to consider is that the top-loading drums have a pretty severe angle on them that can be a pain to get in if your rifle has any sort of AFG/VFG. the wind-up drums pretty much hang straight down.

Edited by mancat

Appreciate the input guys.  Looking forward to my first drum(s) experience. 

Kind of thinking maybe I should pick up a rear loading drum as well.  I do have three 7.62's.  Could always cut one loose if need be.

There's a thread about drums on here somewhere. Iirc, the Koreans were hit and miss(quality issues?), while the Chinese and esp the Romys were preferred. But that was a year or two ago.

So any more recent thoughts on the various drums?

Cope's has the Romanian rear load drums on sale for $79.99 with free shipping, can't beat that deal!

Didn't see the Free Shipping on their site.

They bumped a thread on ARFCOM maybe they just meant to bump it for the drum instead of the drum and free shipping.

The drums showed up today.  They're in real good shape and fit the rifles and Draco very well.  Need to take them apart for a good cleaning.  Took a couple snap shots for fun.  The better half digs them and is happy I picked up two.

2D_zps8b495af8.jpg

dracoD_zpsd8b1c3f8.jpg

dracoD1_zps8ba41b95.jpg

Showing off the new shirt too.

• Like 3

besides the obvious difference in loading,  a back load vs. top loading drum, which the Chinese type has that beat, no question there.

but,  the 2 major advantages a top loading drum has over the Chinese style is:

1) construction, far more sturdy and  rugged. the "built like a T-34 tank" comes to mind when describing it 

2) has a forward cant to it, which if you put those 2 drum on a RPK, that drum has a lot more clearance from the ground.  

and I'll just echo Captain Hero's comment, with a twist:  

everybody should have a drum that is made for the  firearms you have.  I, myself,  take that a step further,  if they don't make one, I make it myself biggrin.png

my x-mas present to myself  this year is going to be a HK/CETME  BETA  Co, 100 round .308 drum. then I'm going to get the FAL feed tower for my L1A1. :D

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

I still see them as a novelty.They're neat and all but I dont have a FA and in need of laying down supressive fire. For a semi auto carbine they are too heavy and too bulky.

I actually own the wind up kind. I was gonna get rid of it during the panic and never got around to it

Weight is just one downside to the drums. Bulk is another, as they may take up the pouch space of six 30rnd mags. Which shorts you 105rnds. Which is fine standing a static or vehicular position. But if you're moov'n and groov'n on foot, not so much.