I used to collect empty ammo boxes.  The big ones, like a 1000 rounds or so.  Brown cardboard.  All major manufactures.  The local friendly gun shop gave them to me FREE for the asking.  Began as just a joke...but eventually I had a stack about 5 feet high by 5 feet wide and about 8 feet long.  Tightly stacked.  They were in a unused corner of the living room of my one bedroom HUD apartment.  Hee hee hee...you can guess what is coming here...but not what you expect.  This is SW OR about 6 years ago.

The landload came by because the pipes/connections had leaked some next door and they wanted to inspect the same type of joint in the water line I had under the kitchen sink.  The 24 hour notice did not apply.  Kinda an emergency stop by to do preventive maintainence.  I had to let her in.  My mistake was that I did.  The ammo boxes were covered up by two blankets.   You could not tell what was under them.  She got curious.  I said nothing.  She leaned over to flip off the blanket.  I physically stopped here.

She got mad.  I calmy told her the letter of the Oregon law regarding un-announced apartment inspections.  She can not open closed cabinets or closet doors, or look under the bed.  She can inspect/open just about everything else.  She said she would be back.  I called my Lawyer.  He said she probably will have the right to pull off the blankets and see what is underneath.  She came back 2 hours later with the handy man and insisted I show her what is under the blankets.  I did not let them in.

I fucked up.  I should never have started to save all of those emply ammo cardboard case lot boxes.  She came back the next day with the big manager in tow and both of them demanded to see the boxes.  My lawyer again had told me it would be best to just show them to them.  I did.  Both ladys laughed out loud and thought the whole thing was a big joke AND PLAYED ON THEM.  They DID NOT CARE in the least.  They did suggest that I find a new home for all the boxes just because of the fire hazzard if nothing else.  I did.  There was no problem at all.  HB of CJ (old dumb coot)  Can you imagine this in Kommiefornika?  We are sooss lucky living here in SW OR.

• Like 2

why do people buy  empty ammo boxes?

who the fuck knows?  who the fuck really cares?

people buy/collect all sorts of stupid shit that don't make a bit of sense, except in their minds.  

if you want to see the most stupidest shit imaginable people buy, especially women, just go to any garage sale.  fucking stupid  brick-a-brack that I pick up for a dime or a quarter and use as targets,  they paid  big money for. the most silliest and stupid shit  I have seen is these ceramic cottages women paid 20+ bucks for. the next down the list is these cheesy   plywood cutouts, those last a bit longer as targets

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

who the fuck knows?  who the fuck really cares?

I would think anyone on this forum that shoots a lot of 22LR would care about this.

I just made $45 on something I used to throw a way. That’s $3 a box.

Normally that would bring the cost of a single box of CCI Mini-Mags down to $5, but in my case, I paid a lot for this ammo to help a friend out so it only helped a little.

Probably reloaders selling reloads as new commercial ammo.

They'd be a-holes for doing so, but it would be an easy way to make a buck.

How do you re-load 22LR

How do you re-load 22LR

Well duh.... you don't reload 22lr.

Although the same idea could be used to repackage cheap bulk 22lr for more expensive 22lr.

I didn't click your link and I was speaking in general as to maybe why "people were buying empty factory ammo boxes".

I actually love those little cci plactic boxes.... they are indeed great for storing bulk ammo in measurable quantity, easy to count by fives, and easy to count by hundreds. that and three of them fit in the back of my bx25 case, holds 9 bx25 mags and then three of the cci boxes. I know they are not the tightest pack, but VERY clean. 

my misc ammo also sits in one of those, grouped together by what they are. aguila primer only rounds, some CB caps, some birdshot (I hate the cci birdshot containers) and then some other misc rounds. 

If it's the CCI plastic boxes, that explains it.  Those are great for organizing small parts.  I have several in my shop with stuff too small.small quantity for the drawer bins.

ETA" I also use some for breaking down the bulk packs.  Makes it much easier at the range than all those loose rounds rolling around.

Edited by Lone Eagle

If it's the CCI plastic boxes, that explains it.  Those are great for organizing small parts.  I have several in my shop with stuff too small.small quantity for the drawer bins.

ETA" I also use some for breaking down the bulk packs.  Makes it much easier at the range than all those loose rounds rolling around.

I thought that too until I saw auction for empty cardboard 22LR bulk packs that sold for an average of $4

• Like 1

and that could in fact be someone trying to sell bulk ammo for a higher price, store bulk ammo in a better situation and countable. 

a recently gave a guy a good deal on 555 winchester bulk on here, I hate large bulk packs, too much to burn in a day and when they are open they just arent the same anymore. I still have a few and I will keep a few, but still

I gave all those ammo cardboard boxes to my former cleaning lady's husband.  He had a car garage to put them into.  As I hunch, I re established contact with my former cleaning lady and she told me he still had all those silly stupid emply cardboard ammo boxes....in his garage.

She also told me that he told her that someday those emply boxes might have some $value$.  I do not know about that.  Sometimes I do some dumb things and saving all those boxes MIGHT have gotten me kicked out of my $cheap$ nice HUD apartment, but it did not.

As a joke, would it might be fun if he rented a couple of gun show tables and stacked up all those emply boxes under the table and a few on top of the table?  It would be a point of conversation if nothing else.  Maybe empty containers of all types have value?  Dunno fur sures.  HB of CJ (silly old coot) smile.png