Nevada law for shooting vandalising car thief thugs??

i had a  gut feeling to bring my gun to bed last night, i recently had surgery and it took me about a minute to wake up and by that time the thug was gone and had broken my passenger window.

if i woke up when the alarm first started screaming, and opened my window and caught the guys, which was Not the case, but what would my options of catching the thugs being that i am on crutches?

could i of have shot him/them, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

this is NEVADA

they ravaged thru everything within a minute and even unbuckled 2 child seats in the rear and were thrown around like everything else. im only missing minor things, im most concerned about the damage to my vehicle from being raided the way it was.

post-49095-0-17308300-1394385933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Einstein69
  • Like 1

Can't shoot them these days, unless your state has Castle Doctrine.  The Sheriff deputies told me more than once here in rural NM.  They always say it's not a big deal with personal property and not worth going to jail over for shooting someone.  Smash and grabs/vandalism is theft. The damage costs more than the items stolen and one's security is violated. 

If you can get out there fast enough and they come at you (stop...my life is in danger is important to say), your good to go.  Remember, there will be civil lawsuits after.  You hindered their (and their families) way to make a living even if it is illegal.

Solution for us was a 5' and 6' coyote fence. 

I feel your pissed offness.

Edited by NM0
  • Like 1

I do not recommend you do this but... If you want to catch a car thief red handed, skip the beep beep alarm and go to a silent alarm. This will drop the thieves like flies. You must really ask

yourself, is this something I'm ready to deal with? Just a thought.

Be safe,

• Like 1

besides being on crutches, i would have thrown on some running shoes running like rambo.

SILENT ALARM!! from what i know about car alarms only the full package viper alarms 350$+ have the silent alarm option. but that is a great idea.

About 20 years ago in the Houston area, the police were getting phone calls about seeing dead folks in yards as they were driving to work. Seems once the thieves were shot, they would make

a run for it. Some I guess weren't too successful.

• Like 2

Check your state laws. Use of deadly force can vary greatly from state to state.

do laws change on APARTMENT property?

Best to check with the office. They may have other restrictions that may say otherwise, and if they do, then your limited as you signed the lease agreement.

• Like 1

My suggestion is based on a number of things. This is done on your own property at night in Texas, you have concealed carry and your state has the Castle Doctrine in place. The only way I would shoot someone on another

persons property was if my life was in danger.

• Like 1

You can't shoot someone in your driveway because they are not in your "castle".  If they are in your garage and it is attached to your house, fire away, if the garage is not attached, you can't shoot.  This is Michigan law and probably pretty standard. 

Threat of immediate danger, serious injury/loss of life is about the only way you'll be able to justify killing someone when your not on your own property. Stand your ground/Castle doctrines are good to  have as well, but dont usually allow the use of deadly force to protect property, unless your in fear for your life.

I feel that we should be able to shoot criminal fucks that do this shit either way, but thats not the way it works.

My uncle in Texas would shoot your ass if you tried to harm him and would hold you at gunpoint. I'd just shoot your ass right off the bat in Montana and My dad in Florida would skull fuck a robber because the cars are parked in an attached garage.

It varies from state to state, check your local gun club for the rules. Maybe a local statewide concealed carry or pro 2nd website. Last resort, ask your third party debt collector (lawyer).

Hope you get restitution.

If you do have to do anything, I would lawyer up immediately! With all the excitement it's possible you might run your mouth more than you should and say something stupid. This is what all the lawyers and others in various fields I know have strongly suggested. (Most of these were my professors at one point or another and some just friends)

Edited by Ethan M
  • Like 1

If you do have to do anything, I would lawyer up immediately! With all the excitement it's possible you might run your mouth more than you should and say something stupid. This is what all the lawyers and others in various fields I know have strongly suggested. (Most of these were my professors at one point or another and some just friends)

S.S.S.

shoot shovel shut-up

• Like 3

No state allows you to shoot a person over property. Only immediate threat to human life. Period. 

That's not how castle doctrine works. 

Next we'll see someone saying "shoot him and drag him through the door" or some such nonsense.

Bottom line, if you don't really think and have good reason to think that this guy is trying to kill you right now, don't point a gun at him. 

• Like 1

God Bless Texas!

Above link copy/pasted for ease of reading:

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 9.42 : Texas Statutes - Section 9.42: DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY -

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

- to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

- to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

- the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

-  the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Edited by NM0

No state allows you to shoot a person over property. Only immediate threat to human life. Period. 

That's not how castle doctrine works. 

Next we'll see someone saying "shoot him and drag him through the door" or some such nonsense.

Bottom line, if you don't really think and have good reason to think that this guy is trying to kill you right now, don't point a gun at him. 

http://www.mtssa.org/lethalforce.html

Montana allows you to use force to protect you and yours. It's up to the criminal or trespasser to surrender or get frisky and die.

You don't shoot them over property, you shoot them if they threaten your life while you are arresting them. Most will comply and surrender.

Did you ever become a foreign agent and get your crown temple BAR card?

• Like 1

http://www.mtssa.org/lethalforce.html

Montana allows you to use force to protect you and yours. It's up to the criminal or trespasser to surrender or get frisky and die.

You don't shoot them over property, you shoot them if they threaten your life while you are arresting them. Most will comply and surrender.

+1...may have to relocate up your way.

Everyone has an individual mind-set towards this topic.  Once you live somewhere that enables thieves and strips the rights of law-abiding tax payers attitudes may change quickly.  Some POS home intruders (after getting shot) try and sue home owners that were protecting their family and home.

Edited by NM0

Even if you can legally use deadly force just remember this. This is not going to pencil out in your favor financially. Not by a long shot. I don't care what the law is, it is always subject to somebody's interpretation, as well as how they interpret what actually happened. If you shoot somebody you might as well just count on having to defend yourself in both legal and civil court. You are going to be spending thousands at least and you have a chance to go to prison or be sued for everything you have. Is what ever you have in that vehicle worth that? Personally, it's not worth it to me for any piece of property I have except my dog because he is not replaceable. However, in my case if my vehicle is parked at home it will be inside a locked six foot fence so that guy is will be dead because he has broken in to the property which legally is just like coming into the house. That's why I recommend everyone get a big fence.

Wish we could have the Law of God as the law of the land!

Catch a thief...is sun up?...NO...Shoot to kill!  No blood guilt on shooter.

Catch a thief...Is sun up?...YES...Thief must repay 7 times what he tried to steal or stole.

• Like 1

However, in my case if my vehicle is parked at home it will be inside a locked six foot fence so that guy is will be dead because he has broken in to the property which legally is just like coming into the house. That's why I recommend everyone get a big fence.

My fences are big and no climb.  Even though I consider it the same as being in my house, the law (or so multiple deputies have told me) doesn't.  Same with the outbuildings (shops, sheds etc).

God Bless Texas!

Above link copy/pasted for ease of reading:

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 9.42 : Texas Statutes - Section 9.42: DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY -

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

- to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

- to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

- the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

-  the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

This is why Texas is so freaking awesome

• Like 1

However, in my case if my vehicle is parked at home it will be inside a locked six foot fence so that guy is will be dead because he has broken in to the property which legally is just like coming into the house. That's why I recommend everyone get a big fence.

My fences are big and no climb.  Even though I consider it the same as being in my house, the law (or so multiple deputies have told me) doesn't.  Same with the outbuildings (shops, sheds etc).

That's something I'm going to have to look into more before I try to defend my point. What I do know is that once somebody goes over or through a locked gate that is felony breaking and entering. So at the very least a homeowner can more easily claim fear for his life because the perp had to commit a major crime just to be standing where he is. Also, the police need a warrant to go past a locked gate so it seems like the fence clearly establishes what the boundary is to my dwelling. Maybe if he goes into a shed or outbuilding they would argue that was his only target and was not going after the homeowner. However, once he goes over a fence and is just in the yard he could be on his way to the house for all the homeowner knows and reason for him to be in fear. As usual it's more complicated than it should be.

• Like 1

Here is a case of a 14 year old jumping a locked gate and was shot in the head by the homeowner. I'm really surprised that the homeowner was not charged, giving that this happened in New Orleans. My intent of the link is not to hijack the thread, but only for an example.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-orleans/merritt-landry-arrives-at-orleans-parish-criminal-court-as-grand-jury-convenes/24583930