Bolt Hold Open - Plus or Minus?

So I just finished the Tapco G2 FCG conversion and, after the PITA spring insertion for the bolt hold open, I find that the BHO lever hits against my finger as I hold the pistol grip and finger the trigger. Maybe this is normal on these guns, but I'm used to a nice free access to a trigger.

I don't think I did anything wrong on this install, since it looks like several others I've seen pics of,  and wonder if this BHO is worth trying to get used to vs. just pulling it out?

Would appreciate some experienced thoughts on this? Thx.

Edited by Dinky Deb

A factory g2 hammer normally requires grinding down on the side of the BHO to make room for it to fit onto the hammer pin. If you've not modified the hammers axis length, there should be no issue just jerkin the sucker out (if you did however there could be side to side movement in the hammer--no bueno). You could also file down the BHO tab to make it less noticable when you grab the grip. Its really a preference thing, and a 'if your hammers already been modded to keep the BHO' thing.

Hope this helps.

Edited by LuPiN8oR

Thanks. I didn't do any hammer modifications so think I'm safe with that piece. I'll try grinding down the tab a bit to see if I can get better clearance for my finger.

If I understand the purpose of the BHO, it allows for quicker new mag insertion after shooting one empty, gives visual confirmation that the breech is clear, and doesn't require you to fully cycle the gun to start firing again? While this sounds good, I'm not sure how important this is for the average range shooter?

I removed mine from the S12, and then ending up putting it back in. If the G2 hammer you have has been modified for it as mine was from CSS, removing it causes excessive side to side play in the hammer on the axis pin. But apart from that, it is a handy feature on the shotgun. If it gets in your way, file down the tab until it feels comfortable and still gives you good manipulation of the BHO.

I ditch them. 

If you were actually able to install the BHO, you have a modified hammer. You could just put a small washer of the same thickness in there to take up the axial play (which is what I did), but I know of a few people on here that have just left them as is after they remove the BHO and they run fine.

Makes sense the the hammer might have come modified from CSS since I notice that DinZag sells a different FCG version for non-BHO. Seems like they might come through differently and mine fit the BHO fine.

I did trim back the BHO tang a bit and it's much better. Think I'll leave it alone on this. Already planning for the next one.

As with everything I've experienced in playing with shooting toys, it's extremely addicting....

• Like 1

I only use them on Saiga 12's due to the fact some fully loaded mags lock in a lot easier with the bolt back. However, I usually grind down and re-profile the tab so it doesn't hit my trigger finger.

I will push the tab up into the receiver and then mark that point. I cut off just below the mark so that it doesn't completely disappear into the receiver and then round down the front corner for even more clearance.

I tried to get used to the trimmed down tab but found it was still bugging my finger so I pulled it out. As W8lifter predicted, it did produce some lateral movement on the hammer axis. I found a washer with a very similar width and placed that onto the pin where the BHO had been and now have a nice firm hammer placement, without that tab hitting my trigger finger. A good solution for me.

Thanks.

Being a lefty really has an advantage w aks-- I left mine on the s-308 and on my old iz-132, but dont really miss it on the sgl. I am also a huge fan of the safety selector notch on the pap--i may upgrade the sgls selector soon.

I'm just going to echo some other people's posts...

...but on the Saiga rifles... I'd leave it out.

On the Saiga 12's, I'd leave it in.

On a Saiga Rifle, a loaded mag can be inserted quite easily with the bolt closed.

The S12's can be a little more of a pain to insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt.

...secondly... I didn't add any sort of washer or anything to compensate after removing the BHO. I don't really get any play or wobble and have put right around 1000 rounds through my 7.62x39 Saiga without one single malfunction of any kind. I'm not saying that other rifles won't have issues, but mine works totally reliably without the BHO and without any sort of washer in there.

Finally, I do like the idea of having a BHO notch cut into the safety for "just in case" reasons. I may try a Krebs enhanced safety at some point.

If you didnt have any issue then your hammer axis wasnt modified, Or you got lucky with tolerances because alot of side to side play can really mess some shit up lol.

On a Saiga Rifle, a loaded mag can be inserted quite easily with the bolt closed.

The S12's can be a little more of a pain to insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt.

...secondly... I didn't add any sort of washer or anything to compensate after removing the BHO. I don't really get any play or wobble and have put right around 1000 rounds through my 7.62x39 Saiga without one single malfunction of any kind. I'm not saying that other rifles won't have issues, but mine works totally reliably without the BHO and without any sort of washer in there.

Finally, I do like the idea of having a BHO notch cut into the safety for "just in case" reasons. I may try a Krebs enhanced safety at some point.

Edited by LuPiN8oR

If you didnt have any issue then your hammer axis wasnt modified, Or you got lucky with tolerances because alot of side to side play can really mess some shit up lol.

...secondly... I didn't add any sort of washer or anything to compensate after removing the BHO. I don't really get any play or wobble and have put right around 1000 rounds through my 7.62x39 Saiga without one single malfunction of any kind. I'm not saying that other rifles won't have issues, but mine works totally reliably without the BHO and without any sort of washer in there.

Now that I think about it, I do remember calling Greg(?) at CSS and asking about this before I ordered the conversion parts. He said he didn't think there would be problems just leaving it out... maybe that retaining plate that comes with the CSS kits helps?

CSS does advertise a "modified" Tapco G2 FCG in their conversion kits.

I just dropped all the parts in and the only thing I had to alter slightly was the safety lever - I just had to file off a tiny amount to allow it to clear inside the receiver.

• Like 1

post-49109-0-65719900-1394726424_thumb.jpgI've been giving my dremel quite a workout lately on this gun so I guess I'll give it a shot on the notch. good idea to order another one, though, just in case. I can't find any Krebs in stock anyway.

Well, fairly easy to do and works like a charm! No fancy finger release but I can live without that for $50...

Edited by Dinky Deb
  • Like 1

Does anyone notch their own selectors or need to go with a Krebs?

I've done it myself, it's very easy with a Dremel. The benefit of the Kreb's is the finger tab, which is a bit more involved to replicate.

A little ingenuity solves the tab issue. I didnt really see a need for it but I guess it makes it easier to engage.

Does anyone notch their own selectors or need to go with a Krebs?

I've done it myself, it's very easy with a Dremel. The benefit of the Kreb's is the finger tab, which is a bit more involved to replicate.

A little ingenuity solves the tab issue. I didnt really see a need for it but I guess it makes it easier to engage.

I like the tab, but I've never felt a need for it or the notch. I can work the safety with my firing hand already, so... eh.

When I converted my 7.62x39 I left the factory BHO out and did just what you did Dinky, modded the safety selector. Having that notch is great for shooting at the range, where a BHO is easier to deal with.

Yeah, my club likes us to keep the action open when we're all downrange setting up targets. Even though it's mostly fairly seasoned members, there's always someone who seems to keep a loaded weapon on the bench pointed downrange with just the safety on (maybe)...