Photo is a bit blurry when blown up, but it appears to be a suppressed AR-pattern rifle with scope and bipod. I'm going with that cause I'm pretty sure I can make out the open ejection port cover.

PKM is an excellent weapon. It is essentially a Kalshnikov action turned upside down (hence gas-tube below the barrel) with a belt-feed mechanism placed where the mags would otherwise go. It actually beat out the other competitors back in the 50's when the US army was trying to adopt a new MG. The PKM was used as the control group and performed better than the other entries! But of course we would never adopt anything based on a "commie gun".

We went with the M60.horror.gif

• Like 1

Why do all the Russian guys have their faces covered?

For security reasons. Unlike our troops in their own home country, their troops have mafia and organized crime to deal with. There is no way to identify an individual by their face and it helps protect their identity and family.

Same reason our federal guys like to wear masks. They cover their faces so when they confiscate land or property, the family or organization they went up against does not go against them personally.

How about this one?

That's what you call a mercenary with a private weapon. It's a 5.56 with a bunch of shit on it. It will always be a 5.56.

IMHO they are just regular Russian troops following orders.  I can't think of any sane reasonable individual that truly believes they are some ad hock local defense force.  This is just another way for Putin to thumb his nose at us.  

They are local militia. Most of the population is Russian. They are allowed to have 25,000 troops on that peninsula and the land was a gift from russia years ago. It has always been a marine and military operations base. It would be like us giving up Alaska. Not going to happen.

It's even more insane to not believe that Obama and the UN are working together to strip the Ukraine of it's sovereignty, enslave the population and exploit it's natural resources just like they did to my wife's country.

Our current administration and the E.U. is far more communist than Russia.

My opinion may differ from yours and I respect that. I have family within AT40 range of the Ukraine. I have friends in the Ukraine and friends who live here in Montana who are retired military married to Ukrainian girls who have family there. I will be in the Ukraine very soon. What you are being fed by the media is a huge turd. The EU is not you friend. It's soft communism. The Obama administration is communist. Russia is justified in protecting their people after a US and EU funded coup of the president who was legally and democratically elected to the the Ukraine.

I thank all of you for you help!  Now I know a PKM when I see one.

If you see one, run like hell and duck for cover! Well, unless you have an M2.

Masks are for intimidation. It's not like they are some secret elite force. Alot of them will even give interviews and tell what part of Russia they're from and tell you they got orders to come here and have no idea of any operations beyond that.

Not unlike all the Ukrainians who left their jobs in the european union countries to go back home and get paid to protest.

• Like 2

PKM is an excellent weapon. It is essentially a Kalshnikov action turned upside down (hence gas-tube below the barrel) with a belt-feed mechanism placed where the mags would otherwise go. It actually beat out the other competitors back in the 50's when the US army was trying to adopt a new MG. The PKM was used as the control group and performed better than the other entries! But of course we would never adopt anything based on a "commie gun".

Seems pretty dicey to me. The PK didn't go into production until the early 60s. We adopted the M60 in '57.

Seems pretty dicey to me. The PK didn't go into production until the early 60s. We adopted the M60 in '57.

I'll see if I can dig up the reference.

I'll see if I can dig up the reference.

Well I searched, but I can't seem to find where I read that so I'm gonna assume I've made an error as to which LMG testing program this pertained to. Apologies. I gotta start checking my data before posting, seems like I've thrown out a bunch of flawed info lately.

However, I am certain that I've read this about the PK vs some sort of domestic designs in US LMG testing though. Just can't find which program it was. If I run across it again I'll post it here.

I wouldn't doubt it. The PK family atre probably some of the simplest, most reliable GPMGs ever made.

Maybe you're thinking of the MG42 though. After all the M60 is basically a modernized MG42.