When my little brother was about 2-3 years old, he had one of those circular walkers

with the seat suspended in the middle so the kid can learn to walk. I think he could

actually walk already, it was more of a way to keep him occupied.

Mom and Dad were having company and got out the big coffee urn (several pots in

one big urn). Big stainless thing.

So you know what's coming..... kid brother was cruising through the kitchen and saw

the cord for the coffee urn hanging.... yanked it and brought down at least a gallon

of super hot coffee all over himself.

Dad ran him up to run cold water over him in the shower (doc said that saved his life)

and then he and Mom went blazing off to the hospital in the car.

Dad said he blew every red light on the way, and said he about lost it when he looked

over and saw my brother's face was starting to slide off.

He was in the hospital a long time... had him in a plastic tent with a huge ice block for

a while. He caught pneumonia on top of it. The nurses kept preparing my parents to

lose him. They finally brought him home with cardboard tubes on his arms to keep

him from picking at his burns.

By the grace of God, he's just fine today. Only a few scars on his chest and shoulder.

I was really glad to be able to keep my little brother.

• Like 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same kind of hazard as working on the farm with tractor PTO's, exposed driveshafts, etc.  One catch of the shirt or anything and you are ripped to shreds or spun around and broken to pieces at the lea

Back in 1989 I worked for a steel manufacturing company that delt with huge rolls of steel. My job was to band them to wood weigh them and stack them in the ware house. They had a machine that was a h

There are rules to being a machinist, roll up your sleeves, tuck in your loose clothing, tie up long hair, no jewelry of any kind. All the guarding and E-stops can't fix carelessness. It's a very skil

Posted Images

Wow.  I am glad everything worked out for your brother.  As a father of a 6 and 2 year old, when one of them gets hurt, my heart seizes.  I can't even begin to understand what your parents went thru at the time. 

• Like 1

I've had two really fucked up things to deal with in my life.

1st:  PSA flight 182 (727) crash and killed the better part of 200 people.  Parts and things nobody should ever see were all over my back yard.  I was in 6th grade.  Talk about nightmares. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajm1oh0cMKA

2nd:  I was a painter at a huge apartment complex and a guy killed a (very hot BTW) stripper by stabbing her a shit ton of times.  I got the joy of painting the room she died in.  She was stabbed nearly 50 times and you could really see the whole thing in your head looking at the blood spatter.  She fought like crazy as there was a bloody footprint about half way up the wall.  There was not a surface in that room that didn't have blood on it.  Talk about nightmares...

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-01-17/local/me-55_1_les-girl

This thread will probably be deleted now but here goes. I apologize to those w weak stomachs.

Ouch!  Did you save the house and family?

Yeah i saved the house and wifey n the dogs, insurance covered the damages. That was definitely a one time thing tho, it ever happens again im grabbing my favorite shit fast n letting the house burn! Lol.

• Like 2

2nd:  I was a painter at a huge apartment complex and a guy killed a (very hot BTW) stripper by stabbing her a shit ton of times.  I got the joy of painting the room she died in.  She was stabbed nearly 50 times and you could really see the whole thing in your head looking at the blood spatter.  She fought like crazy as there was a bloody footprint about half way up the wall.  There was not a surface in that room that didn't have blood on it.  Talk about nightmares...

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-01-17/local/me-55_1_les-girl

After my wife's parents split up when she was around five, she lived with her mom for several years in several different places. They rented a duplex house, with a Filipino man and his wife living on the other side of it, and my MIL said he was always a little odd. One night he came home, parked his truck in the lawn, and left it running with the headlights blaring into their front window. They heard banging and screams next door, and my MIL took my wife out, got in her car, and went to the nearest store to call 911 from a pay phone.

Turns out the guy had come home from work and beat his wife to death with a flashlight, believing that she was a witch. By the time the cops got there, he had already finished the job.

Edited by mancat

Well, graphic photos/videos make a point. At 14, (36 years ago) dad sent me to "Farm Safety" course. All non-farm kids required to take if seeking farm employment. We farm, not required, yet dad said "You go". Equipment on hand, and lots of realistic stuff demo's using dummies. Then video/slide show of actual outcomes of "It happens or not thinking, or done it 1,000's of times this way". Those images still make me think twice when starting up a PTO or other basic farm/shop duties. Well, a "Do gooder group" about 15 years ago protested too graphic. Attitude was/is, too graphic. Don't send kid and stay off the farm. Sent my kids, gotta be based in reality. Grandkids will go when their time. Oh, hunter safety course use to do this also. Drives home the outcome of Not Thinking"

• Like 2

The aftermath of a guy jumping in a partially full grain bin and forgetting there was a metal pole coming up from the bottom that side braces connected to. He lived, yet ripped hole where crotch use to be.

• Like 1

Thanks Spartacus i appreciate it, sorry to hear about your little bro, thats rough man, but im glad hes ok now. And ruffian, that just made me cringe lol.

Still do. And don't jump through open hatch, even though our bins are not that type. Use hatch ladder

The aftermath of a guy jumping in a partially full grain bin and forgetting there was a metal pole coming up from the bottom that side braces connected to. He lived, yet ripped hole where crotch use to be.

Holy crap that sucks!

So did he get permanently neutered?

Holy crap that sucks!

So did he get permanently neutered?

I'd imagine it highly likely. It takes 70-80 lbs of force to separate those parts from the body. He probably had 500+ lbs of force due to inertia.

Jumping on a work site with machines and tools is always a bad idea.. Sometimes its little stupid stuff that can cause the most pain.

I worked with a guy that died for 15 seconds after the screw driver in his back pocket snagged a high voltage line. Threw him something like 10 feet and set his shoes on fire. It had been 10+ years but he was still very strict on putting all tools in pouches, never in pockets.

• Like 1

I brought my workers in from the floor and showed them this! People need to reminded from time to time how dangerous these machine are. I have a manual lathe on the shop floor that same size and the guy that runs it got chills. Who knows maybe your post here will save him from a fatal mistake one day, thanks for posting! 

• Like 2

Shirts don't always cinch down tight instantly.. So he may have fought it for a 30+ seconds before it bit down and pulled him all the way in.. The worst would be if he hit the emergency stop and it got him as it slowed down.

Your not supposed to operate a lathe the way he has it setup.

These two items would likely have prevented the accident. Had they been in use.. And digital readouts have pretty much eliminated the need to reach into a lathe for anything.

OSHA as much as they are blamed for the down fall of industry, exist because many large companies had ZERO problem with workers being mangled.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=952791&PMAKA=505-4010

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=8913803&PMAKA=510-1474

$500 for full guarding. $800 for a DRO that will improve quality and speed.

There are rules to being a machinist, roll up your sleeves, tuck in your loose clothing, tie up long hair, no jewelry of any kind. All the guarding and E-stops can't fix carelessness. It's a very skilled trade and people that become comfortable and lax end up like this guy, hamburger meat! I've ran it all, toolroom lathes, turret lathes, CNC turning centers, machining centers, horizontal boring mills you could set a small house on the table, vertical boring mills with 100inch chucks+, to massive 500 ton lathe with 15 foot chucks that take minutes to stop. I had A Mazak slam the turret into the chuck @ 3500 IPM with the chuck @ 3000 RPM because some assholes before me decided to override the Parameters, what saved me was, God and I always pull the door in front of me as a shield just in case. It's a dangerous trade and sooner or later your going to get hurt, it's up to you and only you to what extent.

• Like 2

Shirts don't always cinch down tight instantly.. So he may have fought it for a 30+ seconds before it bit down and pulled him all the way in.. The worst would be if he hit the emergency stop and it got him as it slowed down.

Your not supposed to operate a lathe the way he has it setup.

These two items would likely have prevented the accident. Had they been in use.. And digital readouts have pretty much eliminated the need to reach into a lathe for anything.

OSHA as much as they are blamed for the down fall of industry, exist because many large companies had ZERO problem with workers being mangled.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=952791&PMAKA=505-4010

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=8913803&PMAKA=510-1474

$500 for full guarding. $800 for a DRO that will improve quality and speed.

Saw some NASTY pics when I took OSHA 30 hour (twice actually) and this one is near the top.  I never really realized how dangerous the industry was until I took the OSHA class.

I brought my workers in from the floor and showed them this! People need to reminded from time to time how dangerous these machine are. I have a manual lathe on the shop floor that same size and the guy that runs it got chills. Who knows maybe your post here will save him from a fatal mistake one day, thanks for posting! 

This is more the attitude I thought would come from this thread and not the sissy ass whining.  Good on you Cameron!