TAC 47 Auto Plug

I installed the TAC 47 Auto Plug and took the Saiga 12 to the range yesterday.  Installation was a snap, and the factory settings ran Remington All Purpose Sport loads (3.25 Dram Eq, 1 oz shot) as well as some left over high base buck shot I had laying around.  After watching a youtube video on the auto plug, I expected to have to dial it in to the load.  I like the ability to safely run lower and higher power loads without having to adjust the gas system.  My Benelli has me spoiled in that regard!

• Like 1

Great- isn't it. I wish it were included from the factory, along with consistent porting.

You need to go to 3.0 dr eq to really tune it in. Also, expect the spring to wear in a little after a hundred or so rounds. (But you probably passed that already.)

• Like 1

I ran my S-12 with an Autoplug for the first time yesterday.  Mine had already had port work done and would fairly reliably run the lower power stuff with a standard plug.  This was also the first time shooting with a full Cobra profile of the bolt, carrier, and FCG (awesome work by Cobra).  On the Autoplug factory settings my gun got FTEs with the 3dr load shown below.  FTEs cleared up after one full turn (did it in half turn increments).  I put in one more half turn (1.5 total) to get a good vigorous eject.  I ended the range session like in the Autoplug video and loaded a 12 round mag staggered with six different loads from the load shown below up through slugs (#6 bird, #4 bird, #4 buck, 00 buck).  It did a mag dump beautifully. 

post-43632-0-43685900-1399500223_thumb.jpg

Edited by yamadog35

We have sold over 1000 and had probably fewer than ten complaints with all but two being user error. 

I like my Tac Auto Plug.

• Like 2

If your way over gassed and/or really slicked down by cobra or whomever, on 3" mag the auto plug can't quite stretch far enough to cover the entire range of ammo. It does a beautiful job relieving the excess gas for the most part. It's just too much to ask out of a gloriously simple/reliable mech device. A couple shots are fine, so I wouldn't worry about it for home defense. But if your sighting in for slugs and your gonna be at the end of a big deer push it's something to consider. I have gotten fte/ftf on the high end ammo (on a gun functioning flawlessly on birdshot) because the action is soo fast the mag can't keep up.

I have never done it but spinning it upside down on know high brass sounds viable to me

• 3 weeks later...

I like my auto plug too. Set it and run it. Turning it upside down for 3 inch mags works for my gun.

Please explain the turning it upside down thing.

Explained here: 

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1219-tac47-autoplug-gf-magnum-edition-mark-15/

If your way over gassed and/or really slicked down by cobra or whomever, on 3" mag the auto plug can't quite stretch far enough to cover the entire range of ammo. It does a beautiful job relieving the excess gas for the most part. It's just too much to ask out of a gloriously simple/reliable mech device. A couple shots are fine, so I wouldn't worry about it for home defense. But if your sighting in for slugs and your gonna be at the end of a big deer push it's something to consider. I have gotten fte/ftf on the high end ammo (on a gun functioning flawlessly on birdshot) because the action is soo fast the mag can't keep up.

I have never done it but spinning it upside down on know high brass sounds viable to me

Yes, but... The but is that if the gun is on the hot & slick side of balance, some of the hotter hot loads can potentially rebound off of back trunion and outrun the magazine.  As you said. Not everyone has that but at least a couple did. So "trust, but verify." Know how your gun will behave before relying on it. The cure is to tune the amount of restriction offered by the inverted plug.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the auto plug per instructions, couldn't get Winchester 3 dram heavy target loads to cycle at all. I was able to cycle 3 3/4 dram #6 with no FTF or fte's. The auto plug was turned about halfway down from flush to get the 3 3/4 dram to cycle. I have 4 gas ports. Question? Can you run it without the puc? What should I try next?

Edited by SeanByrd

As poolingmyignorance said, you cannot run without the puc.  That is what the gas pushes into your op rod to cycle the action.  Without it, nothing will happen.

Does your gun run these same shells with the factory plug on the #2 setting?

Any other work done to your gun?

Edited by burntpowder

I installed the auto plug per instructions, couldn't get Winchester 3 dram heavy target loads to cycle at all. I was able to cycle 3 3/4 dram #6 with no FTF or fte's. The auto plug was turned about halfway down from flush to get the 3 3/4 dram to cycle. I have 4 gas ports. Question? Can you run it without the puc? What should I try next?

Try turning the Auto Plug further down and ditch the Winchester ammo.

Winchester low brass has a very poor rep  amongst Saiga 12 owners.

Thanks for the replies. A little history on gun. Bought new, CSS conversion kit, 4 gas ports unobstructed. I did shoot 15 cheap Winchester rounds before the conversion kit. It cycled all 15 flawlessly. I don't remember specifics on the shells, just some I had laying around from last years dove season. I'm sure I got them at Walmart. It won't cycle 3dram winchesters with factory plug, or auto plug now.. I'm gonna take your suggestions and do some reading.