I own an saber arms ar 15 ,it has ftf problems ,I noticed today that it is stamped 556 would shooting 223 cause the failure to feed problems ? thank you.

Purchase some higher quality .556 ammo and try it, your gun might operate differently from mine with the same ammo.

I own an saber arms ar 15 ,it has ftf problems ,I noticed today that it is stamped 556 would shooting 223 cause the failure to feed problems ? thank you.

Purchase some higher quality .556 ammo and try it, your gun might operate differently from mine with the same ammo.

I am using federal and hornady ammo

Some rifles don't like 223 because there is less gas pressure to cycle the action.

My AR and Tavor both run 223 fine but my Galil won't cycle 223.

And there is a noticeable difference in how far the 223 ejects from the AR and Tavor.

That said, I have seen an AR that was short stroking get fixed by a few drops of oil on the recoil spring. The guy had never taken the buffer out and oiled the spring. It was bone dry. ARs can be lube sensitive.

Edited by Darth Saigus

Some rifles don't like 223 because there is less gas pressure to cycle the action.

And there is a noticeable difference in how far the 223 ejects from the AR and Tavor.

That said, I have seen an AR that was short stroking get fixed by a few drops of oil on the recoil spring. The guy had never taken the buffer out and oiled the spring. It was bone dry. ARs can be lube sensitive.

I have never had the buffer spring out ,so it has to be bone dry will try that next ,thanks

Good 223 ammo should run a 5.56 rifle just fine. Try a different mag, different ammo, and make sure the weapon

is cleaned and lubed properly.

using 15 mag ,fails to feed randomly.

Is the gun brand new or used? If some of the other stuff doesn't help try running a pipe cleaner through the gas system and make sure it is cleaned. If it is new it likely isn't a problem but if you have an obstruction built up in it that could be causing your cycling issues

When you say failure to feed, what does that mean?  Do the rounds get stuck on the feed ramp? Does the bolt cycle and close but fails to pick up the next round?  I know you can't send it back to Saber because they no longer exist, but give us a little more info so that we can give you better advise.

Doug

Try nato ammo and if that doesn't work, clean your gas tube. Make sure your three rings on the bolt are staggered. They are little rings with a slight notch in them. The notches should be at 12 4 and 8 o clock so the gas can't pass by.

Good call. I use a one-piece ring so I don't have that issue. Although I have never seen a failure that could be traced to aligned gas rings.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

When you say failure to feed, what does that mean?  Do the rounds get stuck on the feed ramp? Does the bolt cycle and close but fails to pick up the next round?  I know you can't send it back to Saber because they no longer exist, but give us a little more info so that we can give you better advise.

Doug

the rounds stay in the mag most of the time,last week I was teaching my son how to shoot as he is going into the air force and it acted up something fierce ,pisses me off when a 900  dollar gun won't function,anyway I clean the gas tube well as I can no one makes a decent pipe cleaner ,use air compressor to blow it out ,I never oiled the spring darth  mentioned  the mags are oiled and appear to work [rounds don't hang up] .thank you for your input.

sprayed the heck out of her will advise later

Doug

the rounds stay in the mag most of the time,last week I was teaching my son how to shoot as he is going into the air force and it acted up something fierce ,pisses me off when a 900  dollar gun won't function,anyway I clean the gas tube well as I can no one makes a decent pipe cleaner ,use air compressor to blow it out ,I never oiled the spring darth  mentioned  the mags are oiled and appear to work [rounds don't hang up] .thank you for your input.

I've seen 2 types of failure that causes the bolt to not pick up a round.  The first would be under gassed.  Does the bolt lock back on an empty mag?  Put one or two rounds in a mag and shoot them to see if the bolt locks back.  If not chances the ammo is not providing enough gas to completely cycle the bolt.  The other would be over gassed when the bolt moves too fast to let the magazine move a new round up to feed to the bolt.  In this case the bolt should lock back on an empty magazine.  Can also be caused by a weak recoil spring or a weak mag springs, but if you are having the same failure with a bunch of different mags it probably is not the mags. 

It's always good to get some fresh 5.56 ammo and make sure that the problem is not ammo related.  I ran some 5.56 in my competition gun, which was tuned for .223, earlier this year and had the same problem you are having.  Also make sure the chamber is clean and is not slowing down the bolt.  Let us know how it goes.

Doug

Doug

I may steal this for my new book, "All the reasons to own AKs" bad_smile.gif

Run the bolt wet also. Seemed to help back then doubt much has changed.

Forgive me for being captain obvious, but any chance your not getting the magazine seated in there fully?

I've seen this cause failures in many species if fire arms, from pistols to AR to vepr12. Every single time it was a guy with a fair amount of experience but had made a habit of tapping that mag after inserting it.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but I figure its worth mention. Good luck