Anybody replace there glock sights with night sights?

So after reading a few threads a while back about trouble in areas near home, it has lit a fire under my ass to properly defend my own home. I live in a very good neighborhood, but I do live in the "lower end" of it. My house, while very small, is far more well kept them my neighbors which from what I've read online makes me more of a target.

Anyways to the point. I have a glock 17 that for the wife and I works well as as a HD weapon. Initially I had planned on buying a surefire x400 green but for right now I want to focus funds in other areas. I will eventually get it but right now I'm thinking of just getting some very good night sights to back up my mag light.

So my question being, I have done some research and found some I like, but its all research. What night sight out here (on glocks) does everyone like? Sights don't seem to cost too much. Under a buck fifty, I really don't mind. Thanks for your input

• Like 1

I haven't bought them, but I was looking at these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H8TQIW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VYSX04/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I basically can't decide if fiber optic or radioactive is the best way to go... Back when I was reading up on the topic it seemed like a lot of guys were complaining about their radioactive sights getting "weak" in about 5 years.

As far as those two manufacturers go, I have no opinion. I basically just tossed them in my Amazon cart for future research later.

I think it would depend on when the sights were made, or the tritium was made, as to how long it lasts after installation. The amount of it used probably has a lot to do with perceived brightness too. The info I was talking about reading came from guys with trijicon sites as well as other manufacturers.

No one was saying they were junk or anything. It just seems that fiber optic is a good option as well. Trijicon makes fiber optic sites as well, just not for pistols.

That's where my personal debate stopped. Fiber or not? Not sure what the OP has in mind.

AA: which sights are "them"? What manufacturer and style?

Edited by Maxwelhse

Fiber does nothing in the dark.

Night sights allow you to see the sights in total darkness

. even in very low light its hard to make exact shots with out them

The set on one of my carry guns are about 6 years old...they are NOT as bright as new ones.

another set is 15 years old, you can barely see them at all, nope...not at all now. just looked.  They are not permanent.

You're pretty much pointing out to the exact kind of internal debate, and information, I had, Jim. :)

You're right, in total darkness fiber is useless, but in total darkness I probably can't see my target anyhow even with the sights. From my research, GOOD fiber sights will work in nearly no-light conditions. Typical moon light / star light seems to be fine if you get a good set. If you buy something for $30 then they're going to be crap. From what I concluded, at 6 years old its about time for new radioactive sights. I'm more of a "set it and forget it" type of guy.

So, again, I'm not sure what fatty is thinking, but these are the considerations I made while shopping... I have to confess that I was out at my parents a few weeks ago (in the middle of nowhere) and I couldn't see my standard sights AT ALL. Got me thinking about this topic again.

• Like 1

The half life of tritium is a little over 12 years

At that age it would be half as bright more or less

Trijicon is the standard all others are measured against

I have both Trijicons and Meprolights. They get therir Tritium vials from the same supplier btw. Looking at an AK rear replacement leaf that you can mount a Glock sight into it as well.

I've got a G-17 that I use for HD too, and I've got Trijicon Night sights on it, I love 'em.

Due to street lights, my house is never totally dark, so you'd be able to see the silhouette of a bad guy, the night sights let you aim accurately in such a situation, or at least let you see the general direction the gun is pointing if you don't have time to aim.

I have fiber optic on my last edc for years that work well but in no light they are non existent.

With my new od g19 I want some badass night sights. I've started a thread on glock talk for pictures, here's the link...choose for yourself. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533800

I still haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning towards the trijicon

I've got a G-17 that I use for HD too, and I've got Trijicon Night sights on it, I love 'em.

Due to street lights, my house is never totally dark, so you'd be able to see the silhouette of a bad guy, the night sights let you aim accurately in such a situation, or at least let you see the general direction the gun is pointing if you don't have time to aim.

You should never shoot at a silhouette without positive target acquisition/ID.
  • Like 2

I have fiber optic on my last edc for years that work well but in no light they are non existent.

With my new od g19 I want some badass night sights. I've started a thread on glock talk for pictures, here's the link...choose for yourself. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533800

That's how you hear about people shooting family members!

beef, I would like to hear your opinion about "no light" on fiber sights. Do you mean in a totally dark basement or closet or on an overcast night in a typical outdoors setting?

Also, that's what I was saying before... If its so damn dark that the fibers don't work (based on only research, I really do want to hear your opinion) I wouldn't be able to identify my target.

fwiw - inside the house I pepper night lights all over the place. It makes life a little more easy for day-to-day living and in an HD situation the light they cast would be VERY nice. $20 can set you up! :)

I think it would depend on when the sights were made, or the tritium was made, as to how long it lasts after installation. The amount of it used probably has a lot to do with perceived brightness too. The info I was talking about reading came from guys with trijicon sites as well as other manufacturers.

No one was saying they were junk or anything. It just seems that fiber optic is a good option as well. Trijicon makes fiber optic sites as well, just not for pistols.

That's where my personal debate stopped. Fiber or not? Not sure what the OP has in mind.

They are the Tru Glo, fiber optic with tritium like the ones in your link. My opinion is that if I can't see my target because it is dark, then I might as well have a set of glowing dingle berries laugh.png   I am pretty sure that I am missing some information about use of these though.

They are the Tru Glo, fiber optic with tritium like the ones in your link. My opinion is that if I can't see my target because it is dark, then I might as well have a set of glowing dingle berries laugh.png   I am pretty sure that I am missing some information about use of these though.

Yes, but likewise, your sight picture would will be difficult to make out with out something to differentiate them from your shadow.

So yes your fiber optics might enhanced some of the reflected light from your target, but remember the flash light is pointed AWAY from you, so that is going to be minimal.

I recommend learning to carry a flashlight separately as opposed to a weapon light. Reason being that with a weapon mounted light as your searching your home for whatever went "bump" in the night your also pointing a weapon at potential NON targets.

I prefer to carry my pistol at 10 gun and hold a flash light in my support hand for such reason.

Reason being that with a weapon mounted light as your searching your home for whatever went "bump" in the night your also pointing a weapon at potential NON targets.

Actual targets know exactly where your head is with a pistol mounted light as well...  Shoot at the light = head shot.

Maybe I'm the only one that does it this way, but if I hear a bump in the night, I turn the actual house lights on as I sweep the house. I don't carry a light for that.

I went with Ameriglo (Trijicon tubes)... was $79 and I did the install myself with a $50 tool off ebay.. Did a yellow/green combo..

I have Ameriglo as well, like then a lot.

Another benefit to the Trijicon, which I have on the 30, is that in complete darkness the glow makes it fairly easy to see and reach for the gun sitting on a table or the floor. I installed mine a few years back with a brass punch, simple.

• Like 2

All my carry guns are police trades, most have trijicon and Im not sure what the USP9 has but it must have been replaced shortly before they replaced the guns cause Ive owned it for 4 years and its still like new.

True, but you have to use some common sense.  For me, there is no one in my house but me ...so if I see a silhouette of a grown person in the middle of the night it is certainly no one who is welcome

Thanks for everyone's input guys. Ill check out the trijicons tonight. I looked around a little noticed there are a couple different front post heights. What's the deciding factor in choosing the one that works best? I didn't see different sized rear sights.

I'm thinking of trying the green/yellow combination, I never would have thought of it, but its something I definitely want to try.

Also, about the fiber sights- I have a couple mid priced fiber sights that I love, they're just not what I'm looking for for this situation. In bery low light they're better than regular sights, but they're still not visible enough for me. Eventually I'll get that surefire and maybe when I pick up another 17 or glock 45 ill put fiber optic sights on that

I've got G17 and 26.  Both have Trijicon HD green front yellow rear and I'm very happy with them.  Trijicon says their green and yellow will last 12 years.

Do NOT get orange.  You will not know until you read the very fine print on the package that the orange is only warranted for 5 years.

I've never had anything but Trijicon, so I can't say how the others are. 

• Like 1

Reason being that with a weapon mounted light as your searching your home for whatever went "bump" in the night your also pointing a weapon at potential NON targets.

Actual targets know exactly where your head is with a pistol mounted light as well... Shoot at the light = head shot.

Maybe I'm the only one that does it this way, but if I hear a bump in the night, I turn the actual house lights on as I sweep the house. I don't carry a light for that.

I went to an advanced course when Active Duty where we had to use a handheld light in part of the training. One of the methods taught was the FBI method for that very purpose. You fire one handed and illuminate with the other far out from your center mass. If they fire at your light, they miss and give you a flash signature to return fire on. ETA, a weapon mounted light serves its purpose in certain scenerios but usually are effective if you are actually clearing a room with a stack of shooters where Violence of Action, commonly known as the element of surprise is on your side. Unless you live in a basement without windows, you should be able to navigate throughout your home if something goes bump in the night if awoken as your natural night vision will be good. You can use a light to illuminate the target to identify a threat if needed. If you need a flashlight to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, you will have to rethink things. I would not be investigating an unknown noise with a light activated personally. Edited by MT Predator

beef, I would like to hear your opinion about "no light" on fiber sights. Do you mean in a totally dark basement or closet or on an overcast night in a typical outdoors setting?

Also, that's what I was saying before... If its so damn dark that the fibers don't work (based on only research, I really do want to hear your opinion) I wouldn't be able to identify my target.

fwiw - inside the house I pepper night lights all over the place. It makes life a little more easy for day-to-day living and in an HD situation the light they cast would be VERY nice. $20 can set you up! :)

well, when I said no light, in reality...in low light even they aren't very helpful, I feel I could make a positive ID in low enough light but not be able to see the sights. I will snap a couple pics tonight. But in that glock talk thread you can see that the night sights rock! I am lusting for a set so bad it hurts. 

All my carry guns are police trades, most have trijicon and Im not sure what the USP9 has but it must have been replaced shortly before they replaced the guns cause Ive owned it for 4 years and its still like new.

True, but you have to use some common sense.  For me, there is no one in my house but me ...so if I see a silhouette of a grown person in the middle of the night it is certainly no one who is welcome

true and with castle doctrine you could likely put down any person in your domicile legally. That said I'm not really wanting to go through all of the post shooting red tape unless absolutely necessary.

The night sights though are for more than home defense, night time includes every day carry. Therefore the night sights are going to stand out in any self defense situation after sunset, and make the transition from point shooting too an aimed position easier, and any benefit to me at this is desirable.