Caught the little bastard digging in my yard!  When confronted, he took up a military stance in in the foxhole he had just dug.  I thought he might of had a weapon, so I ran for the cover of the house, and my weapons.  As this was going to be a sniper duel with an entrenched enemy at close range, I picked the 10/22 with the Tasco 6-24X scope.  I didn't want to do it, but I had to break into the perilously low .22 LR Stinger supply that was a hard won battle to obtain 7 months before.  I snuck out the front door cautiously, checking in all directions for blue suited enemy reinforcements.  I made it to the side of the house and took position.....No good!  Had civilians/human shields in my line of fire!  Had to low crawl to the garden to stay out of sight.  Once I got behind the large clump of asparagus, I could do a crouched rush to the compost pile.  The sniper was still in his hole, but no more civies in sight.  Every so often he'd poke his head up about 3/4" of an inch above the hole.  Checked range with my optics, 540 inches.  Brought the magnification up to 22X and the snipers head filled the retical.  Had to adjust focus to bring him in crisp.  He must of smelled me! (hadn't showered yet)  He was looking directly at me!  I waited....He finally looked away!  I took aim, and fired.  The sound of the shot was well muffled by the dry grass in the compost pile.  I watched the round spray gray matter out the backside.  But the head was back in the hole, and I saw movement.  The sniper's tail popped up out of the hole spinning around like he was in a washing machine spin cycle!  He popped out of the hole and pushed his bloody head in a 2 yard diameter circle from the hole ending about a foot from the hole.  I waited until he quit twitching before moving out from my cover.  Impact just behind the eye at point of aim.  Also noticed that HE was a SHE!  And the body looked a lot smaller than the one I saw digging.  Have to continue survellience as the perimeter may not be secure!

Here's a shot of one of the vandals doing a recon mission from the mulberry tree while we were at mess.

post-46782-0-18767400-1408222943_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

This was the third year I've seen them in the city. 

Patriot hates groundhogs as much as I hate muskrats!  Had one muskrat dig a deep hole next to the storm drain manhole.  6 feet deep and 3 feet wide with a camo cover like a tiger trap.  Little kid fall into that, and you wouldn't even hear him screaming!  Been sniping them with the Whisper air rifle with good results.  Those amphibious units are a real pain in the ass to get a good hit on in the litoral enviroment!  Those damn SeaBees did the combat engineering for the hogs to move into!   

• Like 4

I got one burrow this year with a few ounces of gas, properly aerated, and properly placed. One sharp CRACK! and I didn't see any for weeks until reinforcements arrived.

Bisquick works on the little fuckers too. It's a bad death when their insides get plugged up with rising dough, but it works.

I set out two pans. One with Bisquick, one with water. They eat, they want a drink, the dough starts rising and it's bye bye.

I'd rather shoot them, buy when I lived close to town, shooting wasn't an option.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I've heard good things about "Gold Malrin" mixed with Pepsi... Apparently the critters don't even make it 40 feet away. I heard enough solid evidence that I went ahead and bought 5lbs of it since there are groups moving to ban it (of course).

http://www.amazon.com/Farnam-Garden-3006196-Starbar-1-Pound/dp/B002ITSORM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408264074&sr=8-1&keywords=fly+poison

We all feel your anguish and pain. Taking another life is difficult. But you did what you had to do. All of us have probably seen priceless vegetable shoots/starts literally disappear when those underground pests pull them down while munching on the tender ends.

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Out here in SW OR USA we employee a heavily modified Ruger 10-22 suppressed short barrel rifle with a Yukon NVMT night vision scope. We need it. Right now the estimated score is Ruger 50, scumvermin zero. HB of CJ (old coot)

All US Code Laws And NFA Made Up Rules Apply which means what we have and use is completely legal where we live; after much paperwork, Photos, middle finger prints, back ground checks, criminal checks, political correctness checks, and a granddaughter. sad.png