I'm wanting to get a shotgun but I am having a hard time choosing between the vepr and saiga. I was wondering if you guys can help me decide on which would be the better buy. The price coherence between the two is a hundred bucks just for reference so that isn't an issue. Thanks for any help.

Edit....Difference not coherence. Fucking spellchecker

I have both.  I started with Saiga and that is my favorite.  However, for the current price difference of a couple hundred dollars I would go Vepr (unless you know you want a specific setup with the Saiga). Note: I'm assuming IZ109 in sporter config.

One thing I love about the Saiga is the availability of drum mags and aftermarket parts.

Get both, lol I wish. I like the abundance of accessories for the Saiga too that's what's making it hard to choose. The one thing that is making me lean towards the vepr is that I don't have to throw money at it right away since it comes with pistol grip and a nice stock already.

I have both.  I started with Saiga and that is my favorite.  However, for the current price difference of a couple hundred dollars I would go Vepr (unless you know you want a specific setup with the Saiga). Note: I'm assuming IZ109 in sporter config.

One thing I love about the Saiga is the availability of drum mags and aftermarket parts.

Saiga...^^^^^^^^^^

One thing I love about the Saiga is the availability of aftermarket parts...x2

Get a Saiga and have Tac47 in texas dial it in for you. Don't let just any yahoo work on your saiga. Lots of self proclaimed gunsmiths out there.

The VEPR is nice but you are limited on aftermarket magazines, parts and accessories.

This is a Saiga forum so you kinda went to a ford forum to ask about a chevy.

Anyway, good luck with your new shotgun. They are both dependable. The VEPR is pretty and polished but I believe the Saiga is much closer to an AK that could be neglected all it's life by teenagers in Africa and still fire.

• Like 1

Are they both just as reliable? Reason I ask because there are many posts that mention the saiga not handling cheap birdshot well. I know this can be fixed by a gunsmith but is it really a problem with all Saigas or just some?

Roblox84,

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/66484-v-plug-adjustable-gas-knob/

I have friends that run walmart bird shot through theirs. You know the 100rds for $25

I don't think you need a gunsmith to have a saiga to run  bird shot, but if you do there are a few on this site..

100 $ difference between an unconverted S-12 and a V-12 and you guys are seriously going to tell this guy to get the Saiga ? Bad advice all around. There are plenty of V-12 mags and accessories available. I have both and the Vepr is far superior in every way

• Like 1

100 $ difference between an unconverted S-12 and a V-12 and you guys are seriously going to tell this guy to get the Saiga ? Bad advice all around. There are plenty of V-12 mags and accessories available. I have both and the Vepr is far superior in every way

Point Taken..^^^^^^^^^

Atlantic has the Vepr 12 for $1100, GunBroker have unconverted Saiga for $800.

IDK, $100 difference between the 2, one could be a real steal or the other is very pricey.

Vepr.

Never mind the features, the build quality alone of the Vepr, is far superior.

Yes I own both and really like my Saiga (took effort to get it where I have it) but if I had to choose one as a new purchase and after doing some research, it'd be the V12.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

The gun store near me has the v12 for $999 and I think the saiga on Atlantic runs for $850. Honestly the only mod I was thinking of doing was getting a high capacity drum and a muzzle brake. I'm almost sure that the saiga 12 will cost me a lot more in the long run, as of now I'm leaning a little more towards the Vepr just because I don't plan on upgrading too much.

Just out of curiosity if I sent a saiga to a place like tac47 or lone star arms to convert it (pistol grip, stock, foregrip) and install the reliability kit to shoot birdshot do you guys know how much would all those extras run?

Edited by roblox84

Go look in the vendor section Tromix, Lone Star, Cobra and Tac 47 all have good reviews and make some awesome weapons. Pricing can range from 800 to ??? depending on what you want. Also look up what evlblkwpnz has done.

You mentioned a drum, have not seen one yet for the Vepr yet.

What you should do is figure out what you want in the end. Are you looking to use this tool for a specific purpose or is it just a toy? Research this site (use Google) and look at what people have/had done to theirs. Look at the vendors sites and see what they can do. Sending a gun off may take time to get it back, or even just get on the build list.

Remember when you do decide and get your new tool, someone else will come out with something that will make you drool................

Edited by Dad2142Dad

The gun store near me has the v12 for $999 and I think the saiga on Atlantic runs for $850. Honestly the only mod I was thinking of doing was getting a high capacity drum and a muzzle brake. I'm almost sure that the saiga 12 will cost me a lot more in the long run, as of now I'm leaning a little more towards the Vepr just because I don't plan on upgrading too much.

Just out of curiosity if I sent a saiga to a place like tac47 or lone star arms to convert it (pistol grip, stock, foregrip) and install the reliability kit to shoot birdshot do you guys know how much would all those extras run?

And the name/phone number of the gun store that has the $999 vepr, thats already to roll, NIB...????

Edited by SmilinEd

Sorry its not a local store to me, I don't know why I said that. It's actually K-Var in Nevada so local to someone else. The website is K-Var.com and its listed at $1099 but the guy quoted me $999 over the phone. I went with the Vepr as I really don't feel like converting anything at this point also there are very nice drums for sale here: http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/vepr12_drum_mag.jpg. They are pricey though but I guess Atlantic is coming out with some too.

Well I'm surprised there are any (S12-Vepr12) available from several online stores.

When I was in the market for the S308 I could not find any new (not paying $1200 either) and the S39 shit was drying up also. Went to several sites and noticed that a few still had the shotguns but 1k is $500 more than I pd for my unconverted S12.

Some of those outfits must be sitting on a boat load of inventory if they are willing to drop $100 over the phone.

Good luck and enjoy ur new purchase..

Unfortunately the guy emailed me back and corrected his first quote. It ended up being 1099. It's weird because everyone is saying these guns are banned but I was under the impression that Putin sold the gun companies to a civilian to circumvent the US blacklist of Russian gun companies? Anyways if only I knew gun prices would rise higher then the stock market ever did I would have been stockpiling these weapons as an investment, oh well.

The trick is to be able to get a saiga to run birdshot and hot 00 reliably with a flick of the gas adjustment knob.

Time spent knowing your firearm (S12) will help bridge the gap

If you get a stock saiga NIB and it runs birdshot and 00 with proper adjustment and break in, consider yourself lucky, very lucky. European ammunition is very hot compared to ours and my guess is that's why most saigas won't run bird shot reliably. They may have changed the size of the holes in later years to make the US market happy. My old import wouldn't run bird shot for shit when dialed in. It ran game loads perfectly.

Just as an aside, and I hate to be this guy. If you are planning to use a mag with a capacity over 5 rounds, you would be required to convert either gun to comply with 922r. As you are manufacturing a firearm with a mag change and if you use a capacity that exceeds "sporting configuration" you are breaking federal law. You should have had that worked into your equation for cost with either before making a choice.

• Like 1