Terrorizing children for their own safety

I'm mixed on this one.  If I was back in 7th grade and a cop came in with an AR 15, I would have been like "oh shit, that's badass," NOT "oh shit, I'm gonna die!"  I think the media have made our culture so sensitive to guns that they freak people out just to see them.  Remember that story about Ryan Tannehill's wife left an AR in a rental car, and the new driver said she felt sick just seeing it? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24410856/lauren-tannehill-wife-of-dolphins-qb-left-ar-15-rifle-in-rental-car

So, yeah the cops probably could have prepared the students better, but I think we've gone a bit overboard on gun sensitivity. 

• Like 2

What a great way to make children afraid of guns AND law enforcement.  No reason for this to ever happen when children are in school.  

I'd have somebody's ass if they pulled this shit on one of my children.

Maybe this is part of common core now?

• Like 2

It's pretty important to get kids used to, and welcoming of a cops busting in and pointing weapons at them at any given moment. We already send them to school to acclimatize them to with holding all their basic rights. This is obviously the next logical step. (I'm kind of joking)

• Like 1

I did NOT have the patience to wait for the video to load. Too many stupid shitty commercials on that site. I finally gave up waiting after about 60-65 seconds. So ... I have not watched. However ... based upon what I have NOT seen ... .

Years ago when I worked for a very small very good ISO Class 1 Fire Department, we would TRY to hold an annual "live fire" school fire drill. But ... and this may be important, we did NOT use smoke bombs or the sirens and air horns.

We DID respond "Code Two And One Half" and deploy our first alarm apparatus and personnel just like we would have if there had been an actual fire. Usually we picked on the cafeteria, (when empty) as it would be a good spot for a fire.

We did wear turn outs and breathing apparatus. But ... we, (including me as I was on a Ladder Truck) would calmly enter a few class rooms and tell the teacher, (who already knew) and the kids, (who did not) IT WAS ONLY A FIRE DRILL.

Then the school fire drill bells would hit. Ten one second buzzes, then a pause, then 10 more buzzes. ten times. Only a few class rooms had a fire fighter. They would then conduct the drill but with 24 fire fighters all around watching.

Added some drama for sure. Lots of fire apparatus parked around and on the school grounds. After all the fun, (which was observed and scored by school and fire prevention personnel) we would conduct a guided tour of the apparatus.

The kids loved it. It gave all involved some idea of what conditions would have been like during an actual school fire. Problem was back then the school boards would only let us conduct it rarely, and then NOT with grade schools.

So ... my feeble point here is that "live drills" can and have worked in the past, but there is a way to do it AND A WAY NOT TO DO IT. We tried not to scare any kids. Fire fighters are heroes, not like some other public agencies.

I will eventually watch that video. Not now. HB of CJ (old coot) Rant completed and thank you.

Edit; This Forum is running choppy today. Also what you preview is NOT what comes up. Interesting.

Edited by HB of CJ

I tried to watch that video again. Took 95 seconds to load the damn thing, then I get a message that the video has been removed by the owner or something like that. Then the site locked up my computer. I could not forward, reverse, "X" out or any thing. Had to do a dangerous "Okie Dump" to get back to this excellent Forum. Interesting. Very convenient if you want my opinion. HB of CJ (old coot) sad.png

All part of the agenda, demonize the gun, marginalize gun owners, make children scared of guns.

Then when they reach voting age they actually willingly give up their own rights.

It seems to work, just ask my neighbors to the north. As far as I know the new gun restrictions in Wa. State is the first time voters actually passed a measure like that. It's been forced down our throats by the legislatures before who then paid the political price the following election. Voters bringing this shit on them selves is partly a result of the " education " our children have received at school.

WINTER HAVEN (FOX 13) -

Police say they are changing their policy following an active shooter drill at middle school that frightened students and parents who weren't notified ahead of time.

Friday morning, Winter Haven police announced that they had "evaluated procedures" for such drills and opted to make a change.

"Further lock-down drills that occur at schools within the city limits of Winter Haven will be performed by uniformed officers without weapons," the department said in a press release.

GUYS,

THEY BETTER BE GLAD ONE OF THE KIDS WASN'T PACKING.

JUS'  SAYIN'.............

I KNOW SOME OF YOU WERE THINKING THAThaha.gif 

BUT SERIOUSLY, STUPID IN THE EXTREME, WHAT IF SOME TEACHER STROKED OUT, OR SOME KID WITH ASTHMA GOT TORQUED-UP AND COULDN'T BREATHE, LIMITLESS BAD POSSIBILITIES.

JESS1344

It's pretty important to get kids used to, and welcoming of a cops busting in and pointing weapons at them at any given moment. We already send them to school to acclimatize them to with holding all their basic rights. This is obviously the next logical step. (I'm kind of joking)

It seems like a really good reason to disarm the public, so their only reaction is to cower in fear, and their first thought is 'submit'.