Kalashnikov USA...is it time to thin the safe??

Is anyone versed on where Kalashnikov USA is on releasing products and what their price point will be. I find myself looking at the contents of my safe in terms of the Saiga's that I own and wondering "Is now the time to sell some things off"? Right now, with the Saiga ban and possible end of WASR's hitting the market for a period of time,sell prices are decent, once Kalashnikov USA gets in full swing, depending on what their price point is, might it de-value our Saiga holdings. I'm slowly moving toward more NFA stuff, and I can't help but think that it may be time to clear some room in the roach motel to fund other, more expensive items. Anyone have toughts on what effect Kalashnikov USA's entry to the market will do?

• Like 1

I think that they have a rough road ahead of them working out their QC.   Century is a bigger company with a larger budget and they have been struggling with working out these issues on their rifles.  Even if KC ends up putting out a quality product down the road, I think Russian rifles will always be more collectible and demand a premium, especially if the sanctions remain in place long term.  I would hold on to those Saigas if I were you.   If you're really itching to sell them but can wait, they will probably be going for a lot more this time next year.

• Like 5

Didnt get any for collector or investment value but to perform a job that hopefully never needs be done.

AKs in general are taking a beating, harder to find seems to lessen demand in favor of ugg stoners. Funny biz

That said wish I had bought more pre-retirement when cash flowed more freely. 

• Like 2

I think what we have is a good value for what it does. I doubt they will quit doing what they do when a new model comes out. I bought mine to use, not as an invsetment. I'll drive it until the wheels fall off and then get whatever is best at the time.

I don't see how a near identical offering from K-USA would motivate me to trade out and eat the transaction costs and revert to a tool that hasn't been refined yet.

I could see getting one of the firebird guns, or for my taste the eventual Chaos toy. I think the Chaos toy would reduce the sale value of old saigas, but increase the value of the magazines. One of the best things about the ARs is that they made a standard to build new things around. They have a decent mag that works, stocks that are modular, trigger groups that are OK... Even if you are ditching the whole operating mechanism, it's dumb to make a new gun and not make it compatible with those parts. I kinda think that is true for the saigas re: shotgun. No need to invent a new mag. Everything should just use IZ-433/Vepr 12 mags, and availability should proliferate. If Cameron really hits his $799 price point, I think that will be the only shotgun to buy. Until Mossberg or Rem try to undercut him. But if he's properly modular out of the box, they would probably be smarter just to buy him out. And he would be smart to sell.

• Like 4

Well, lets just say after recovering from a post AWB ban sell off to buy my first house with a wife and kids, I got a little carried away with the new collection now that the house is paid for and the kids are grown. I find that a lot of things I own have become more of a collection and less of something I take out and enjoy. Also, the safe is like a game of pick up sticks trying to get things out. I think I'm at a point that for the ones that aren't being taken out and enjoyed, it might be time to part company.  I wish I would have gotten into the FA game early in life, price points are really getting up there. Right now SBR, SBS, and Suppressors are more in my price and fun range along with some favorite shooters. The S12's always seems to make me smile so they're on the keep list. You guys all know gun prices seem to rise and fall every time the wind blows, I did what I needed to do when I was a young man and it always killed me when I couldn't afford to buy back some of the things I let go, it's still part of my mind set now but if I'm going to sell I'd feel better doing it before the wind blows the other way. Kalashnikov USA's future offerings makes me a little nervous to be honest. I haven't been following their progress and it seems very little has been posted concerning them.

• Like 1

Very little has been posted because they are not really anything to fuss about. They are ugly and over priced for what they are. Saiga rifles will likely appreciate. Now, if a new regime eliminated sanctions against Russia and the import ban lifted imports would resume and prices will likely drop considerably. Will we ever see $200 Saiga rifles again? Doubtful. But if the market opened back up and the market seems soft overall with the panic fading, I think we will see sub $400 Saiga at that time. My advice is to sell what doesn't work for you anymore and get what does.

• Like 1

Hello

As much as I love my C-III stuff, I go into a high-speed wobble every time there is a credible threat of o'blowme E.O.'s, blue helmets, Jade Helm, etc.

While I can play-off every thing else I have had, I know that "they" know......

-Guido in TX

Mark I hear what you're saying brother and have wondered the same. Back when we first got into the Saiga game 10+ yrs ago they were a lot more affordable and available. First thing I did was set out to have at least one of every gauge and caliber, then started buying or trading for every S-12 I could find a great deal on. Still have just a few still NIB in varying bbl lengths, importers etc. Don't plan on selling them really because I've been careful over the years to mostly collect distinctly different models or variations, such as the first dimpled x39 with the extra Y stamp marking the FA sear location. All the duplicate or regular nothing special S-12s I have done different style custom conversions to from classic AK wood, to black "tactical" (lol have come to dislike that word but...), camo, custom sporters, to wide damn open off the wall bullpup designs, the latest of which is nearing final completion and is a totally badass one of a kind I would like to develop kits for.

So in short I like yourself am interested in just what the actual value is and will remain, even though I have no plans to sell any. 

Another thing that's been kind of weighing on my mind is, with the Vepr 12 having come onto the scene, with almost all the features we were all salivating over the first EXP  Ver 01 30 or "Swat" model years ago, how does the Saiga 12 actually compare to them in real value. I don't mean some cocky ass new owner's opinion of it being worlds better just because it's what THEY have now either. I have my own damn V-12 as well. I can't stand all the ridiculous "which is best" bullshit I see every day on gun forums and online groups. What I'd like to know is REAL value, to someone who actually owns both already. Real resell value based on all the variables, whether it's vintage production with no longer available characteristics (like the unthreaded 19" bbl 109's or the 22' bbl Russian camo one I have, older style sights and gas systems, etc...), or market values based on sales, availability, demand, etc. 

Even more simple like if you had a regular new style Vepr 12 -w- folding stock, upgraded to US FCG and mags so it can actually fold... what kind of trade value would that gun have up against say a well converted newer model S-12 with full reliability upgrades, a nice six position stock -w- metal tube, US mags (maybe a drum? IDK) and a Chaos quad rail? Some things I've been thinking about...lol.

And of course same goes with the now more rare 22" Saiga .308 for example, vs the newer thicker receiver Vepr? Inquiring minds want to know...  :)