Grown a bit tired of the lack of new AK options out there and have returned some focus back to building AR's with the current market being dirt cheap at the moment. Wanted to start a thread for ideas/builds that are not the usual tactical black utilitarian rifles that they are. (Not that that is a bad thing) I'll start with a couple of builds I am working on:

Always loved the Hogue grips. Love this color (lava red), although matching up a couple of mags was a challenge:

post-37530-0-39766600-1451348295_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-34260600-1451348329_thumb.jpeg

Build specs:

Black Rain Billet lower

Aero precision forged upper

16" 1:9 twist 223 Wylde spiral fluted heavy barrel from Classic

Fail zero NiB bolt carrier

Hogue furniture set (lava red)

Primary Arms 1x6 ACSS optic for 5.56

Odin works extended mag release and safety.

Working on another all wood bench rest model starting with this:

post-37530-0-89611700-1451348702_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-52184700-1451348946_thumb.jpeg

Spartan billet lower and billet upper. 20" heavy barrel. Will post up more pics when done.

Interested to see other's non conventional builds.

• Like 9
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grown a bit tired of the lack of new AK options out there and have returned some focus back to building AR's with the current market being dirt cheap at the moment. Wanted to start a thread for ideas/

We've got quite a few talented people on the forum, that's for sure!   Nice lookin' gun.

Posted Images

I think you have it under control, what did you use for a trigger group? Single stage/2 stage? I got a ALG's ACT trigger group & it feels awesome dry firing (snap  cap), have not had a chance to take the ar out since I put it in.

Now the wood stock? It is a 2 piece system, right? No free float for wood, right? Won't this interfere with barrel harmonics? What is the twist rate of the 20" barrel?

• Like 1

The Boyd's walnut set is quite beautiful, and has me thinking of building another one...not that I need it.

A color case hardened upper and lower with walnut furniture would be gorgeous!

Anyone know where to get the receivers?

• Like 1

I think you have it under control, what did you use for a trigger group? Single stage/2 stage? I got a ALG's ACT trigger group & it feels awesome dry firing (snap cap), have not had a chance to take the ar out since I put it in.

Now the wood stock? It is a 2 piece system, right? No free float for wood, right? Won't this interfere with barrel harmonics? What is the twist rate of the 20" barrel?

Trigger is a single stage Mil-spec from a Spikes tactical LPK. I replaced the springs with JP Enterprises 3.5# springs and did the trigger job stoning and polishing myself. Done right, quality mil spec triggers can be nearly or just as good as the more expensive drop ins.

You are correct on the wood. Only 2 piece designs using standard delta rings as far as I can see. I did not see any free float options. However, I am still going to see if there is a way I can convert it into a FF. Time will tell. That is one of the reasons I went with a heavier barrel, because the lack of the FF . The barrel is 1:9 twist Wylde. I still prefer 1:9 to 8's or 7's.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

I saw some AR upper/lower sets that were color case hardened just a lil'while ago... But danged if I can remember where.

IIRC, they were about $8-900 for the set.

Second or third pics are what I drool over.

There it is, on sale at CDNN Sports, reg $4999.00, on sale for $2999.00.

If I had the money I'd probably buy it and then buy real nice walnut to replace their plastic crap.

http ://www.cdnnsports.com/turnbull-tar40-308.html#.VoIaEVJilLc

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

You like the hogue grips?  Are the ak hogue hand guards any good?

No experience with th hogue hand guards, but the PGs feel great in the hand.

There it is, on sale at CDNN Sports, reg $4999.00, on sale for $2999.00.

If I had the money I'd probably buy it and then buy real nice walnut to replace their plastic crap.

http ://www.cdnnsports.com/turnbull-tar40-308.html#.VoIaEVJilLc

I saw those Turnbull ARs at CDNN. Very nice but too pricey for my blood.

I dont think I want an AR with steel receivers , but it does look nice.

I thought the same thing. In order to get that color on the Turnbulls wouldn't it have to be steel? I didn't think that was possible with aluminum.

I will wait for the wood to come in before I decide what I want to do with the receiver. I can guarantee it won't be black anodized after I am done with it, which quite frankly is a shame, because it is one of the best stock finishes I have seen on a AR receiver in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Another satisfied Boyd's customer:

Be sure to post a pic here of the finished product.

Will do. I think the "Constitution / Gadsen Flag" lower/upper above would look really awesome with this. The furniture reminds me of a rattlesnake. I may go that direction with this upper and lower.