I've decided to pursue another DIY AR build, in 5.45x39mm with some fiddleback maple wood accents.... essential a "black and blonde" sort of visual thang.

Thinking I'll likely give it to my grown daughter as a gift, once I'm done with the project and have enjoyed it out at the firing range a few times.

• Like 3
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grown a bit tired of the lack of new AK options out there and have returned some focus back to building AR's with the current market being dirt cheap at the moment. Wanted to start a thread for ideas/

We've got quite a few talented people on the forum, that's for sure!   Nice lookin' gun.

Posted Images

I've decided to pursue another DIY AR build, in 5.45x39mm with some fiddleback maple wood accents.... essential a "black and blonde" sort of visual thang.

Thinking I'll likely give it to my grown daughter as a gift, once I'm done with the project and have enjoyed it out at the firing range a few times.

Remember a few months ago when you said some gun was your last gun?

post-17871-0-29461600-1454186265.gif

• Like 5

LOL, people don't forget on this forum do they? It sounds like it will be beautiful just as your many other firearms. I look forward to seeing it completed.

My 17 year old daughter asked for three things the other night as I was working on this project:

1.) I want to get my CCP on my 18th birthday

2.) I want to go skydiving with you on my 18th birthday

3.) I want to buy an AR receiver or AK receiver under my name for us to build out together on my 18th birthday.

Sounds like Nov. 20th is going to be a busy day.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 3

Remember a few months ago when you said some gun was your last gun?

attachicon.gifLaugh.gif

I know; right?!?!?!  (You sound just like my work supervisor... who also happens to be my bestest friend.)

haha.gif

• Like 1

LOL, people don't forget on this forum do they? It sounds like it will be beautiful just as your many other firearms. I look forward to seeing it completed.

My 17 year old daughter asked for three things the other night as I was working on this project:

3.) I want to buy an AR receiver or AK receiver under my name for us to build out together on my 18th birthday.

You can get a CCP and carry a pistol when you'rd 18?

You can get a CCP and carry a pistol when you'rd 18?

In the state of AL you can. You can't buy ammo or the handgun but you can possess either at 18. So she will carry one of mine once she gets her permit. I know it doesn't make much sense, but I am thankful she will be able to protect herself when she goes away to college next year at the University of Mobile.

• Like 1

OMG!   Whaat did you do??? It looked great before, now it's RUINED!

I feel soooooo bad for you now.  

just kidding, bro.

I know, I'm an asshole.

Seriously, you have it lookin' pretty sweet.

I'd color the forward assist and mag release. They don't go with the rest.

• Like 2

Is something going on the muzzle? That could be another place for a tie in or contrast color. It would have to be scorch and solvent resistant though. A bronze muzzle device could look very cool.

• Like 1

Is something going on the muzzle? That could be another place for a tie in or contrast color. It would have to be scorch and solvent resistant though. A bronze muzzle device could look very cool.

Good idea. I didn't think of that one.

Bronze would be the way to go. It's tough and about the right color.

A decent machinist could make one up.

• Like 1

I have decided what is going on the muzzle yet. I have a muzzle nut on it now, but thought the same this as far as tying everything together color wise.

OMG!   Whaat did you do??? It looked great before, now it's RUINED!

I feel soooooo bad for you now.  

just kidding, bro.

I know, I'm an asshole.

Seriously, you have it lookin' pretty sweet.

I'd color the forward assist and mag release. They don't go with the rest.

I agree on the forward assist and mag release. Both easily removed and coated. FA is steel as Unforgiven already stated.

I'm thinking of doing a 458 SOCOM pistol build, would that qualify?

Absolutely! I am hoping others will add some of their builds to this thread.

Thoughts or critiques? I want this to be a family heirloom. The scope and hand guard are mock ups. I have torn this rifle down three times now trying to get it right. Think I am done, but welcome any constructive criticism.

Outstanding! The coloring on the frame, magazine and scope really tie it together!  :up:

I think the only "problem" is that the butt-stock needs some checkering on the "neck" area, so it would match the fore-end and pistol grip. It seems bare or too bright without it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

post-37530-0-60934200-1456942544_thumb.jpeg

Last Lower Receiver from the Black Friday Black Rain Ordinance Billet special. Nothing special or creative with the finish, but the caliber is 7.62 x 39 to share ammo with it's many AK brethren. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on back ordered X39 AR parts, but should receive them in the next two weeks. Looking forward to getting this one running like a well oiled machine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

7.62 X 39 AR finished.

Black Rain Ordinance Billet Lower, Radical firearms bolt/carrier, 16" barrel, and handguard. Spikes LPK, Magpul ACS buttstock, and PA 7.62 / 300BO ACSS scope.

post-37530-0-46504700-1459977646_thumb.jpegpost-37530-0-98207000-1459977675_thumb.jpegpost-37530-0-87279600-1459977835_thumb.jpeg

Look forward to comparing accuracy with my Saiga and Mak 90. Both rifles are pretty accurate by AK standards. Should be an interesting comparison.

• Like 3

Thoughts or critiques? I want this to be a family heirloom. The scope and hand guard are mock ups. I have torn this rifle down three times now trying to get it right. Think I am done, but welcome any constructive criticism.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

What's with the gas block and front hand guard retainer? I mean, are you doing the same coating on those as the receiver? Because other than that it is a masterpiece.

I do love the camo set on mine from Boyd's. I will do another eventually.

IMG_1841_zpsosykrc6k.jpg

• Like 1

I thought about doing both of those as well YOT, but I am not sure I am going to keep that GB on there permanently. I am also still wrapping my head around free floating that hand guard. I have come up with some ideas, just haven't gotten to them yet.

Beautiful rifle you have there. I am contacting Boyd's to do a custom AK set for me as well. Hopefully they can accommodate my requests, as the options I am thinking of aren't available on the website.

• Like 1

What scope mount are you using in your first post? Have had a PA 1-4x sitting in a box for months and still haven't picked up a mount. Just curious.

That one came out of an spare parts bin that I have collected over the years. IIRC it is an inexpensive TMS mount.