A New Sturmgewehr, and it's Not a 22

Sosss ... 7.92X33 like the original or perhaps the 7.62x39?   Also quite expensive for what you get?  But ...

5.56, 300bo, 7.62x39, and original 8mm Kurz.  5.56 doesn't seem right for this rifle but that's just my opinion.

Expensive for what you get?  Or maybe dirt cheap for what you get.  It's all a matter of perspective.  It's not for everybody, but plenty of guys (and gals) will want one.

• Like 3

i dont give a shit. im getting one!!! 7.62! the price is high for a normal battle rifle but this is not normal. i have had a hard on for a real one that is basically unobtanium for me. here is my only chance to have one and I can shoot ammo I already have. if you think about the balls it took to produce this and get it to market in a country flooded with rifles and nobody making really cool reproduction items, this thing is a fucking steal.

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 4

InRange did some good vids about the original and the reproduction.  Long, but worth a watch.

v If you're a gun guy, you can't watch this video and not want this rifle. v

Pricing and Models

In Defense of the Sturmgewehr

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Love the rifle's history.

Hitler hated it's looks but, his soldiers liked it.

True or false, it makes a good story.

I believe the Germans were impressed by Russia's small arms innovations (the Germans were stout in their relying on proven war tech in the trenches but, slow to introduce new weapons).

Edited by Sim_Player

I would have been disappointed if this topic didn't include Ian and Karl. I value their opinions a lot more than _insert tactical guru_.

I think If I were able to get one it would be in ".30 Kurz" with a .223 change kit. It's like a commonly available 8 kurz, but you would have no trouble finding working ammo or mags. Obviously the original caliber would get the authentic idea, but as Karl said, 7.62x39 will get closer to the feel due to the heavier receiver. 300 Bo has ~ the same energy....

I would be surprised if 7.62x 39 is not the most popular configuration though.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if 7.62x 39 is not the most popular configuration though.

My only hesitation about the x39 is the mag.  Will it be reliable without the proper curve...

The pistol version will be 13" which is an interesting choice. 

post-4831-0-71564500-1453658456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus

Putting aside the possibility of sub-sonic use...  Both have 30 caliber bullets and similar energy, effectiveness comes down to bullet selection.  For commercial ammo the x39 wins for having effective loads available at a lower price.  For the handloader the 300bo wins for having a much larger bullet selection and brass easily made from 223 brass.

But I doubt most buyers will be using this rifle as a primary defensive tool.  There are better choices for a defensive rifle in any of the 3 chamberings.

• Like 3

Putting aside the possibility of sub-sonic use...  Both have 30 caliber bullets and similar energy, effectiveness comes down to bullet selection.  For commercial ammo the x39 wins for having effective loads available at a lower price.  For the handloader the 300bo wins for having a much larger bullet selection and brass easily made from 223 brass.

But I doubt most buyers will be using this rifle as a primary defensive tool.  There are better choices for a defensive rifle in any of the 3 chamberings.

In this particular rifle though their factory .223 magwell works with stanag mags, so you can get one or two cool looking STG44 style mags.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And use some GI mags for most of your shooting. not so for the ruskie round. Besides, 300BO is extremely similar in thinking and appearance to 8mm Kurz, so it looks more 'right'. Hence the slight preference for 300 BO. Obviously I make my own ammo, so the handloader bonus is pretty big. 

Also, while bulk quantity is not practical, I would say that there are already more choices of types of available bullets for different applications in 300 BO than 7x39, and those are purpose made bullets of superior defensive performance, not just any old 30 cal shoved into the case. You can still do that too, so -- options.

Of course.

It's a good novelty gun, but the whole point is for fun, high quality functional nostalgia.Like a having a Factory Five shelby cobra reproduction. It exists to be enjoyed.

• 5 months later...

Sturmgewehrs now listed at Atlantic.  Not in stock of course.  It will be a long time before supply catches up with demand given the low production numbers.

post-4831-0-04083200-1467505551_thumb.jpg

http://www.wptz.com/money/the-nazis-assault-rifle-now-made-in-america/40277504

According to this interview they have orders for over 2k rifles, but...

"Steil said his company has fewer than 10 employees and has manufactured just 40 of the rifles so far. They're testing them before shipping begins."

So will H&M step it up and meet the demand, or will it turn out to be vaporware?

Johnboy.gif

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

If they turn out a hundred a month well made, I think they will succeed- as a concept and a quality product. It's already passed the vapor stage.

If you watched the InRange stuff on the development, most of their expense was problem solving to make volume manufacture of each part possible and cost effective. Their whole model only pays if they crank them out.

If they only ever make a few then it's vapor, no matter how good they are.

I'm just saying I'm waiting to see if they can deliver volume.

Edited by Darth Saigus

It will be a novelty until they get the price down.

An airgun version would do better, in the current market, for the same $300 that I bought my Saigas at.

Very sad.

Edited by Sim_Player

An airgun version would do better, in the current market, for the same $300 that I bought my Saigas at.

Very sad.

You can get an airsoft version, full metal, and wood stock for $170ish, one of several reasons I like airsoft, it lets you get guns that are either impossible or very expensive to get otherwise.

Very sad.

You can get an airsoft version, full metal, and wood stock for $170ish, one of several reasons I like airsoft, it lets you get guns that are either impossible or very expensive to get otherwise.

Different markets, I guess.

Edited by Sim_Player