It is a nuclear weapon, designed to produce higher radiation, less fallout, and less blast than more conventional designs.

And yes it was developed with at least some production under extremely tight security so no you wont find anything on google.

Its prime purpose was to defend Europe without the greater loss of infrastructure and fallout of convention nukes.

All I know about it is due to being around and aware during the time, mid to late 70s.

I think he was looking for pics or video of testing as obviously the general text description is available.

I dont think Ive ever seen one either and the subject has always fascinated as a small child since the Cuban Missile circle jerk living as we did about half a mile from one secondary target and 5 miles from a prime... very prime. 

But then I assume...

As for why it was dropped from production I remember well the public outrage, or so the media claimed, about destroying people while leaving structures intact.

It just became a political liability so other reasons to drop it loomed larger.

True the use of dense materials in some tank armor reduces the initial radiation exposure of the crew, they still die within a short time due to residual effects.

It is one thing to know you may well die it is another to know you will die a truly horrible death in a couple of days, makes mass discipline kind of wonky.

The existence of the trench and foxhole did not end the use of arty in WW1, and that's about the same corollary.

But then they continued to use frontal massed infantry assaults against machine guns and barbed wire so maybe it's not perfect.

Edited by Rhodes1968

You will not find pictures of a test, as these are done solely INSIDE a computer program. We most likely HAVE a supply of them, but even if we do not, they can be assembled in a very short time. The need for nuclear bombs of any kind is decreasing with the accuracy of conventional weapons. We can now destroy a target with a 250lb bomb that would have needed a 20 Kilo Ton bomb 50 years ago.

YOT found what I found.  Warheads were developed but the last was dismantled in 1996.  Dismantling started under President George Herbert Walker Bush (Bush 41).  None are deployed and fully operational at this time within public knowledge.

Our enemies acted like it had no destructive blast radius.  From the data I've seen available to the public, it does and a big one at that.  However you still trade a smaller blast radius for a larger radiation radius.

• Like 1

Neutron radiation is a type of poison, but it acts instantly and the effects start immediately.  Basically turns all life proteins into mush.  It does this by ripping apart molecular bonds?  We were told the Russian tank crews hit with a lethal dose would start to show signs and symptoms of radiation poisoning within just a few seconds, depending upon the dose.  Unable to function within minutes, dead within one hour.

Apparently thick hard steel armor would be rendered somewhat radioactive?  Non very dense materials less so.  Ordinary buildings hardly at all?  People 10 feet or more of hard packed dirt underground in properly designed and constructed blast and fallout shelters would be fine.  The neutron flux doesn't like to turn corners somewhat unlike conventional alpha, beta and gamma radiation.  This is what we were told.

Do we still have a stash of neutron bombs?  Probably.  The Powers That Be decided not to use them because it raised the stakes employing them?  Made nuclear war more survivable?  The level of bogus non survivability dis information had to be continued.  MADD doctrine would no longer hold up?  Did all sides in the world abide by this?  Dunno that.  Let us just say nukes are very bad, neutron nukes much more so.

Please explain all the basic effects of neutron, gamma, beta and alpha radiation.  We would all like to know.  Keep it simple and under 6 paragraphs please.

unforgiven, since I just checked and you are still logged in the clock is running on this.  Just explain it all to us so we can understand better.  No looking it up. 

I do not really need a new car, but if I like and understand what you explain, I might buy one from you.  Respectfully.

Edited by HB of CJ

Know a couple of guys that worked there during the 60s and early 70s, knew enough not to ask a lot of questions but basic physics wasn't off limits.

Think it was back when there was some high hopes for the Tokamak design they were working on, not exactly nukes but way more interesting in their way.

Ever meet Sam Cohen? He's gone now of course but the guy had a hell of a career.

Pretty sure, well nothing confirmed, there were tests of various designs on enhanced radiation devices underground. Think the atmospheric treaty was passed before Cohen's work reached that point not sure on that timeline.

Please explain all the basic effects of neutron, gamma, beta and alpha radiation.  We would all like to know.  Keep it simple and under 6 paragraphs please.

unforgiven, since I just checked and you are still logged in the clock is running on this.  Just explain it all to us so we can understand better.  No looking it up. 

I do not really need a new car, but if I like and understand what you explain, I might buy one from you.  Respectfully.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation

Not detailed but pretty good primer.

• Like 1

Know a couple of guys that worked there during the 60s and early 70s, knew enough not to ask a lot of questions but basic physics wasn't off limits.

Think it was back when there was some high hopes for the Tokamak design they were working on, not exactly nukes but way more interesting in their way.

Ever meet Sam Cohen? He's gone now of course but the guy had a hell of a career.

Pretty sure, well nothing confirmed, there were tests of various designs on enhanced radiation devices underground. Think the atmospheric treaty was passed before Cohen's work reached that point not sure on that timeline.

My dad worked at the Meson physics facility, at the time it was the longest linear acceleration in the world.

He did lots of engineering work for WNR and Meson in both the ring (tok) and linear Meson.

At the same time I maintained computer systems collecting data from a variety of experiments .

Both high and low energy pion  or pi meson channels and several other sub atomic particle beam lines and targets.

we were also looking at neutrinos.

I also maintained systems in several other areas that included exposure.

Had a dosimeter hanging around my neck for more a decade.

Dont need to prove diddly fuck to some person that I actually have first hand experience with radiation! 

No infantile quizzes please

At least Rhodes seems to have a handle on it

PS  did not know Cohen

But Bob Lazar was a mech tech At the Meson facility at the time.

I built a go kart type chassis for him that he put a ramjet engine in.

Later he gained infamy with other exploits, look him up just for fun

Edited by unforgiven

Is this the "Sam" who helped invent the thing?  Yeah, I think I talked to him during his brief visit while I worked for the Southern Oregon Institute Of Science And Medicine.  Lots he would not talk about.  Many years ago.  Memory fading.  We were working on blast and fallout shelter design.

Much more likely to see a moron bomb on the internet than a neutron bomb.

The neutron bomb was an attempt to make nuclear weapons more militarily useful, as they allowed friendlies to enter the area in a reasonably short time.  At least that's what we were told back in the early 80s.

There are still practical applications for nukes even in this day of gnat's ass precision.  Deep bunkers can be made practically impervious to conventional munitions by just making them deep enough.  Low yield penetrating nukes can reach much deeper than any conventional bomb, and do so with very little fallout.  Except political fallout of course.

But all of that is speculation based on no actual knowledge.  You could make the case that everything I say is based on no actual knowledge but that's why I fit in so well on the internet.  See above.

• Like 1

My dad worked at the Meson physics facility, at the time it was the longest linear acceleration in the world.

He did lots of engineering work for WNR and Meson in both the ring (tok) and linear Meson.

At the same time I maintained computer systems collecting data from a variety of experiments .

Both high and low energy pion  or pi meson channels and several other sub atomic particle beam lines and targets.

we were also looking at neutrinos.

I also maintained systems in several other areas that included exposure.

Had a dosimeter hanging around my neck for more a decade.

Dont need to prove diddly fuck to some person that I actually have first hand experience with radiation! 

No infantile quizzes please

At least Rhodes seems to have a handle on it

PS  did not know Cohen

But Bob Lazar was a mech tech At the Meson facility at the time.

I built a go kart type chassis for him that he put a ramjet engine in.

Later he gained infamy with other exploits, look him up just for fun

Aw man I had forgotten about Lazar but now I remember the guy though that was from the Area 51 matter.

That go-cart sounds like a hoot.

For good or bad I got sidetracked by ... well pussy... and ended up working in the industrial gauge field (Industrial Nucleonics). 

Same physics in a 1970s practical application kind of way and did allow me to enjoy my physics jones.

Paid better than most jobs in the field (pussy always eats up cash if you know what I mean) but the hours were brutal.

Was going into the power field then Three Mile Island hit and well you know what happened to that field.

From there I ended up in computers as it didnt require a dosimeter and frankly my lifetime dose aint small so Im careful with medical x-rays.

Maybe its for the best, if I had ever gotten in among the eggheads I may never have come out again willingly.

Anyway been a long time and since the heart attack and surgery a lot of stuff is fuzzy (had to reteach myself calculus just because I enjoy it) but it was a very interesting time to be around.

And yeah I understand the measure of disbelief from people and it does get old so just dont talk about it much any longer.

Anyway for those interested here is a you tube primer on weapons design and history of the process, a detailed one and very good even without much of a physics background.

Hope it is enjoyable and informative.

Man could you imagine having youtube back then?

The content would be very different.

I like the idea of vaporizing groups of people intent on chopping off

heads, raping, and robbing, etc.

I'm an evil f**ker, I'd put them all in Gitmo, and pump this in over the speakers 24/7 (since we're originally talking about neutrinos here). :evil:

Someone actually claimed this was good music in the comments section.  Lock their ass up too and see how long it stays good (or let them share a cell with Eddie  :eek:f0ckers.gif ). 010.gif 

11AM, every Thursday  -  air raid sirens, and duck and cover drills. (hiding under our bomb proof desks)  Growing up 10 miles from the middle of Wash. D. C. was "interesting" to say the least! B-52's from Andrews were so loud that even the Nuns had to wait for them, because even their leather lungs were not enough to shout over the noise!

One summer job  in High School, I spent the summer painting Civil Defense towers!

We like to joke about duck and cover but lessons learned from Japan it does help if far enough away.

We kids had a game during the Cuban thing of who could name the aircraft as they came over us headed to Maxwell AFB half a mile away, and my cousins on the other side of town did likewise with Gunter AFB.

My first live sight of an F-104 was during that October although the next May we got to sit in the seat of one on Armed Forces Day, pretty sure the ejection seat was disabled but who cared then.

Yes-it-was-cool

We also regularly got into trouble for flying kites in the landing pattern... yeah kids huh