Photo
- - - - -

How do you all clean the chamber/throat of your S308?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EZTundra77

EZTundra77

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

How do you guys clean the barrel, throat, and chamber of your S308?  I have bore guides for my bolt actions and AR's.  Ive used an AR10 brush w/ chamber rod and the brush snaps off.  I think due to angle.  I love the AK platform but the fact that i cant get a proper cleaning rod to straight down the barrel is lame.  And yes i have a snake.  But I dont see that as a replacement for proper barrel cleaning.  

#2 YOT

YOT

Pissed off New Yorker

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:20 AM

What is this cleaning you speak of??

"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

"You have enemies?  Good!  That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" - Winston Churchill

#3 forsaken352

forsaken352

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:02 AM

Go from the muzzle end. Insert a bore brush, being careful not to damage the crown, scrub a few times back and forth (obviously with some solvent in there), never letting the brush exit the muzzle completely (helps to prevent the brush from nicking the crown). Next, use a chamber brush on one of those flexible "Chamber Maid's" (allows a decent chamber cleaning without bending a cleaning rod). Then, reinsert the cleaning rod, now with a "patch puller" attachment until the attachment is easily accessible from inside the receiver. Thread a cleaning patch through the eyelet of the patch puller, and pull the patch through the bore. Repeat until patches come out clean. Follow up with an oiled patch. Lastly, I recommend a quality one piece coated cleaning rod, as a cheap segmented rod can have a "lip" where two sections of rod meet, and, again, could potentially nick the crown. I highly recommend Dewey cleaning rods.

Edited by forsaken352, 20 September 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#4 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

Bore snake. /thread
  • Netpackrat and Lupin8or like this

Are you a resident of Illinois? Join www.Illinoiscarry.com

Items for sale...http://forum.saiga-1...-vepr12-and-ak/

#5 EZTundra77

EZTundra77

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Bore snakes dont do the same thing as rods, brushes, jags.  Proper cleaning may not be necessary on an ak.  But I would bet it's the difference between getting 20k rounds and 50k rounds through the gun.  Snakes are certainly "good enough" but do a thorough cleaning after using a snake and you'll see how much the snake leaves behind.  I use one piece ProShot polished stainless rods.  I have a pair for .22-.26 cal and another pair for larger cal.  Ive heard the coating on coated rods can scrape off in the barrel or on the crown.  I would not use a segmented rod unless it was an emergency.  I'll look into the chamber maids.  For simple barrel cleaning, my bore guide for my M-40 bolt gun works well being inserted through the reciever of my S308.  But there is a slight cant so the rod isnt enterring totally straight.  But itss clearing the throat and seems to straighten out by the time it hits the crown.  

Edited by EZTundra77, 20 September 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#6 HB of CJ

HB of CJ

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

M1a or a M14 USGI Chamber brush ratchet wigget. 

Edited by HB:  Also maybe a M1 Garand 30.06 chamber brush attached to a similiar rachet butt stock tool would work also.  Just do not insert so far into the chamber.  Never tried it myself, but it should also work.

Edited by HB of CJ, 12 November 2016 - 10:45 AM.

• G O B likes this

#7 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, I generally just run a bore snake when I feel like cleaning it.  It may not clean quite as good as a real rod, brush, jag and patches, but I bet I would ruin the accuracy a lot faster cleaning from the muzzle with that stuff than I will by just using the boresnake to do a less thorough job.

#8 308saiga

308saiga

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

https://www.google.c... brush&tbm=shop

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself, and the American people that the Gov. pisses off......

#9 Ak Monty

Ak Monty

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:49 AM

What is this cleaning you speak of??

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users