Lowest AK Side Rail Weaver/Picatinny Scope Mount

Can anyone out there make a recommendation on the lowest AK side-rail optic mount set up with either a Weaver or Pacatinny rail? With the way the AK's side-rail is set up, if you need to go to irons, you just need to throw the lever & slide the optic out of the way. No need for enough height to look under the mount.

I've done a lot of looking, but short of buying a whole bunch and checking them out (costly!) So, I'm looking for suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Old SF

I have a pic of my UTG low-rise mount installed on my S12, here: http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/saigas12.html

It definitely blocks the iron sights on both the S12 and my 7.62x39. This is not the quick disconnect version (it uses 3 Allen bolts), so it would be a bit problematic if your optics went down. The quick disconnect version would be workable.

Jim

Tritium,

You sound pretty pleased with yours and I have heard several other folks speak highly of the mount. I have also heard that, when mounted, it sits off to the side vs. directly over the receiver. Is this true. Where did you get yours? Price?

Navy,

Where did you get your UTG mount & how much?

Thanks, both of you for the info.

Old SF

Tritium,

You sound pretty pleased with yours and I have heard several other folks speak highly of the mount. I have also heard that, when mounted, it sits off to the side vs. directly over the receiver. Is this true. Where did you get yours? Price?

It is slightly offset to the left. Got mine from Eastwave, for $39. They ship directly from Belarus.

I have a low over the bore mount that has the three allens. Stays tight and with a shotgun scope give a good cheek weld. The problem is that you cant get the dust cover off for cleaning. A quick detachable version would be best. The mount also blocks the iron sights so the quick detach would allow the irons to be used. Never tried detaching the allens to see if it would come back to zero but it might.

• 4 weeks later...
So, is there a consensus on a directly over the bore quick detach low mount rail? Seems like only the Kalinka fits that bill but at $100+ it's almost 3x the cost of the others. Anything else?

Not to my knowledge, Capt. I'm not sure what sight your looking to put on that rail, but I like the Cobra. I got mine here:

http://stores.freedomoptics.com/Detail.bok?no=2

That too is center over the bore, and it does hold zero. I put 8 out of 12 rounds inside a 3 inch circle at 65 yards using inconsistent Black Box Wolf ammo. Extreme spread of only 2 inches out of the eight shots inside the circle. It's a good sight for the dollar IMHO.

You can read about here: http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstkobra.html

For instruction on how to adjust the tension for your individual rifle using this system: http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pso/...adjustments.htm

If you do go this route, I've found that when zeroing it in, you have to move the adjustment dials in the direction of the shot groups and not opposite like iron sights or scopes to zero it in. It makes sense when you think about it because your only dealing with one sight and not two. So if your shooting left 3" move the dial left 3". Adjust accordingly for elevation.

Hope this helps with your decision. I found it cheaper in the long run to go this route, but then again I was looking at Red Dots and not scopes.

Have you looked at the Leapers 5th Gen. Quick Detachable Double Rail AK Side Mount? Its available from Midway USA for a reasonable price. I have it on my .308 and it puts the scope dead center of the bore and about 1/4" ~ 3/16" above the dust cover. Its the same thing that has been mentioned in earlier posts with the 3 allen head screws, but in a quick detach format. Definitely blocks the irons but I can still field strip with it attached if I'm careful and patient. Low enough that I had to get medium rings to mount my 40mm scope. Very solid and a bit heavy but it sounds like it might be what you're looking for...

post-7343-1191452187.jpg

post-7343-1191452249.jpg

I'm in the market for a side mounted scope holder as well but would really like something a bit taller so that I can still use my iron sights in an emergency situation. I guess the only problem with this is that it may end up putting my scope up too high for it to be comfortable. Does anybody know of a mount that sits over the center of the receiver, sits about a half inch over, and has a quick release? I've been looking at several but can't really get any kind of useful information from the sellers(They all just want to sell you something)

Have you looked at the Leapers 5th Gen. Quick Detachable Double Rail AK Side Mount? Its available from Midway USA for a reasonable price. I have it on my .308 and it puts the scope dead center of the bore and about 1/4" ~ 3/16" above the dust cover. Its the same thing that has been mentioned in earlier posts with the 3 allen head screws, but in a quick detach format. Definitely blocks the irons but I can still field strip with it attached if I'm careful and patient. Low enough that I had to get medium rings to mount my 40mm scope. Very solid and a bit heavy but it sounds like it might be what you're looking for...

Didn't know about that little jewel, Doc. Does it hold zero when you mount remount?

The Leapers 5th Gen retains zero for me, but I've only had it on and off < 10 times. I only remove it when I need to get down into the FCG area for cleaning or whatever. I suppose it might loosen up over many off-on cycles (since its made of aluminum clamping on steel) but you can tighten it up with the screw on the bottom if needed. I've been happy with it so far (over the past 4 months or so).

Tritium,

It is slightly offset to the left. Got mine from Eastwave, for $39. They ship directly from Belarus.

I Just put on my new JSE side rail mount - looks like what i need. $34.83 including shipping to Houston. It blocks the iron sights...not a prob. i'll use scope full time - 3-9x42. I like the extra tactical picatinnay mount on the side...

I'll put some night optics or lasers there later. Thanks Jim (Navy87guy) for the Link to JSE for that - Much better that my Top-Cover mount!

BTW - it's perfectly alligned over the center of the gun when mounted - no offset.

p.s. - saw Dr.What's post - it's the same only his has the quick disconnect...which is a nice feature if it works.

BS012

Edited by BullShark012

The 5th genration Leaper's does look nice...think I must have one.

FWIW, the european quick detach picatinny rail top mounts, such as the Belorus BP-01 & 02 (the lower one) series, can have the rails moved with a little tooll time to be over bore. Not much of a job if you can dril & tap.

I have a pic of my UTG low-rise mount installed on my S12, here: http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/saigas12.html

It definitely blocks the iron sights on both the S12 and my 7.62x39. This is not the quick disconnect version (it uses 3 Allen bolts), so it would be a bit problematic if your optics went down. The quick disconnect version would be workable.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I do like it better than the Top-Mounts....Yuk! Never again! goining to the range to site in this wknd..... Don't care about no Iron sights .....F*** it...I have 3-9x42....then with that mount ...I'll be adding a Green Laser on the side mount...which I like (option to add add'l sights). Green laser at night out to 1,000yds......about $200. Don't have the link now... will post later.

The Leapers 5th Gen retains zero for me, but I've only had it on and off < 10 times. I only remove it when I need to get down into the FCG area for cleaning or whatever. I suppose it might loosen up over many off-on cycles (since its made of aluminum clamping on steel) but you can tighten it up with the screw on the bottom if needed. I've been happy with it so far (over the past 4 months or so).

Yeah, It could move but only after a lot of use. By the looks of the pics you really don't need to dismount it in order to remove the receiver cover for cleaning anyway, so it looks like a good choice. Thanks again, Doc. You saved us Saiga fans a whole lot of money.

The 5th genration Leaper's does look nice...think I must have one.

FWIW, the european quick detach picatinny rail top mounts, such as the Belorus BP-01 & 02 (the lower one) series, can have the rails moved with a little tooll time to be over bore. Not much of a job if you can dril & tap.

Umm, yet another option I did not know about. Could you be more specific on what tools are needed to remove the rail, and how far you have to measure to drill the holes so that you don't go to far? Thanks guys, always a learning experience here ain't it. :)

Edited by MacMan
Umm, yet another option I did not know about. Could you be more specific on what tools are needed to remove the rail, and how far you have to measure to drill the holes so that you don't go to far? Thanks guys, always a learning experience here ain't it. :)

The one I did this with was a Belarus model "MTK-83"...which I understand is commonly called a type BP-01 mount in the former soviet block termsinology, this was a "high" mount -they later offered a low version, the BP-02. They are a substantial chunk of aluminum.

This was *after* (I lowered the rail a bit in the process):

26095MTK-83_mod_-right.JPG

If I recall correctly, I removed the top base screws, pulled the rail up & off (may have to pry -it has two "pins" thru it that locates it)...then, I pulled the pins out via pliers,and...

Located the base on top of th QD mount, marking it...

Finally, I epoxied it in place and clamped (paying attention to the marks & location)...

And after it set, I drilled and tapped two holes to the far left of the original holes in the base...and ran it a couple screws -it's not going anywhere.

That;s it. A little work, but corrects the centering problem -which is something that drives me nuts.

Here's the one I'm getting for my new .308 Quick Detach Side Rail Mount only $35 plus shipping. Looks like the best mount for the price. I like the one I got for my 7.62, but it has the 3 set screws, not the quick disconnect.

BTW, since I'm getting a new .308, I'm leaving my 7.62 as is for now for Hog/Deer hunting and bailing on the Ace folding Stock/PG Pkg. I was going to get for the 7.62 to be for legal 30 rd. mags - using 10 rd only on the 7.62. I'll get that later for the 7.62 to be able use 30 rd. mags legally. I think it's better to go ahead and aquire the .308 while I can. I'm gonna stay with the 16" barrel I think....was leaning to the 22", but I think I'll stick w/ 16" (No Brake! Too Loud! - Even w/ Ear Protection, Brakes make you gun way too loud!) especially a concern when you move up to the .308.

Geeze!

Now it pulls up the item, but states that the IMAGE UNAVAILABLE.

Anyway, they identify it as: Leapers 5th Generation Quick Detachable ...as pictured earlier.

sorry for that, but I don't run that website. I'll give you another look at the same thing, only w/o the quick disconnect, like I got for my 7.62.....The Same side Rail Mount, just w/o the quick disconnect

Here it is w/ the Qiuck disconnect: Quick Disconnect version...good price!

Hope this helps.

BS012

Edited by BullShark012
Geeze!

Now it pulls up the item, but states that the IMAGE UNAVAILABLE.

Anyway, they identify it as: Leapers 5th Generation Quick Detachable ...as pictured earlier.

I got mine from MidwayUSA, on the same page linked by BullShark. Even then the image was unavailable but I can assure you that it IS the same item pictured in my previous post...