Tromix - Switch Barrel S-12 Prototype (Pics)

I whipped this up today.

Roughed out operational switch barrel setup for the Saiga-12. You would probably end up having to part out another S-12 to get a spare front end for your gun though. Provided your receiver was registered as an SBS, you could swap from a full length Title 1 gun, to a 8" shorty in just a few minutes. If you wanted a more permanent install, you could always drive the cross pin back in as well.

In order to run a 18" barrel/gas setup with the 8" carrier, you would need an extended gas piston in the long gun as well.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

SwitchBbl2.jpg

SwitchBbl1.jpg

SwitchBbl3.jpg

Tony...

I think it's funny that you say you don't do "one-offs" anymore as outside of the rifles and shotguns that you specifically list on your website or manufacture for another company just about every project you do is custom in some way. :lolol: And as usual nice creative work on the switch barrel setup.

Brian

Edited by us_dragunov

There is a huge difference between doing one-off jobs for customers and one-off work on a Tromix owned donor gun.

If a Tromix gun gets trashed or the project doesn't work, I just toss it out. You can't do that with a customer's gun. That is exactly what happened to this donor gun. A customer asked for a job that I could never get to work, after countless hours time put into it. I finally just threw all the parts in a bag and started over with a new gun for the guy. You can't do that too many times are you're going to be out of business.

Tony

• 1 month later...
Wow.

I swapped out the rear sight of my .308 and I think I jacked up the leaf spring doing it. It took me several days to finally get it done.

Tony goes from concept to prototype in like days.

Does this guy dream of Saiga mods when he sleeps?

Or doesn't he sleep?

Tony and Chuck Norris have a lot in common...for one, neither of them sleep....they wait.

• 4 months later...

I forgot all about this post. The quick change switch barrel worked out great. There is a knob/pin that you pull out, then the whole front end pulls off the receiver in one piece. The gun was sold to a Tulsa PD officer about a month ago and it's still going strong.

Tony

So was this a one off prototype? I realize that you are changing up your manufacturing style. Figured that this particular project was WAY too expensive for the margin that you want. Any thoughts of using rifled barrel? forgive me for beating the dead horse since it is down the road. I gotta know.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it just to see if it would work. However, with no spare front ends available, there is really no need ever take the front end off. So...it's interesting but basically worthless without extra front ends.

Tony

Instead of a "switch-barrel" Saiga, I would consider it a "take-down" Saiga. It would make the shotgun much more compact for travelling or in a survival gun that would have to fit in a small space. I have seen what the baggage apes at the airport can do with a long rifle case. Having a take-down Saiga would enable the use of a shorter case, maybe even a standard suitcase for transport.