Would like to convert but cant find anyone

Hey guys, new to the forum, just bought a saiga 12 nib and would like to convert.

I have sent off a few e-mails from places I have found on the net and I have received no responses.

I was hoping you guys would know of a place that could do the work. I am in Oregon.

Thanks

BTW is conversion the best way to go, I have seen the stocks with the pistol grips all in one that could work as well.

I have also heard that if you do not convert you cannot use the 10 rd mags, is this true?

BTW is conversion the best way to go, I have seen the stocks with the pistol grips all in one that could work as well.

I have also heard that if you do not convert you cannot use the 10 rd mags, is this true?

Pursuant to 922r, which governs the importation of rifles, you cant add an "evil feature" like a pistol grip to an imported gun without first adding additional US parts, to the point that the gov calls it a US gun. for the price of the stock, plus the price of additional compliance parts, you are usually better off with just converting the gun to make it compliant. However, i do believe that the combination of pistol grip, stock, US made mag, floorplate and follower, you are almost there, depending if you can find a us made stock or pistol grip, and maybe you want to look into that, though technically, you shouldnt use the original 5er in that configuration.

The mags work in either gun, the issue is still parts

For more info on 922 parts compliance read: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530

Converted guns look better. IMHO.

Welcome.

Welcome to the forum AKA. I tried the "do/buy all the stuff short of conversion route" and finally decided to just convert it! I realize now that conversion is the way to go. It's cheaper, easier, looks n handles much better and there is no question about legality. Now, don't underestimate yourself, you can do the conversion. This forum has all the info you need and some great help is only a ? away if needed. I have very little equipment or experience at this stuff but managed to convert both shotgun an rifle without much trouble.

Study the data shown in this forum, buy the parts, study some more an just do it. You will love the experience even more with the first shot!

Viking Kitty Armory based out of northern Florida does some nice work. I know they do rifles, but shoot them a PM here or an email or whatever and see maybe if they would do your shotgun for you. Im guessing they will.

Viking Kitty Armory is one of the forum's business members, and isnt booked through the teeth right now. I inspected their work last weekend at the florida shoot we had, and it is pretty good stuff.....

or do it yourself! A gun that you work on always shoots better than the other ones you own.

Edited by Bvamp

I am not looking to step on any toes here, so I defer to the business members first, but if you cannot find someone here to do it in the time frame you are looking for or for whatever reason cannot strike an agreement, I wil do it for you. I have done both rifles and shotguns. I do work out of an FFL shop.

I am in Virginia.

Viking Kitty Armory has first shot, I only want to hear from you if you guys can't work something out.

I am not looking to step on any toes here, so I defer to the business members first, but if you cannot find someone here to do it in the time frame you are looking for or for whatever reason cannot strike an agreement, I wil do it for you. I have done both rifles and shotguns. I do work out of an FFL shop.

I am in Virginia.

Viking Kitty Armory has first shot, I only want to hear from you if you guys can't work something out.

Come on man you're breaking my balls. Just joking. hey, If he goes with you, let me know so I don't hold his spot. Also, lets swap FFLs, so when I get back logged I can farm work out to you. I rather share the wealth than have a two year back log.

Thanks,

Leo

I rather share the wealth than have a two year back log.

Thanks,

Leo

Oooo, you just started and you're taking shots at Tromix? :devil:

no no no no no, I am not take a shot at tromix, every one is back logged

try ordering a s12 anywhere

I just want everyone armed be for the end comes in november

I am in Virginia.

oh man, a local boy!!! do you have any pix of your work? :wub:

Leo, no problem, we can swap FFLs. I'll talk to the owner, who's name is on the FFL, I work for him. He buys and sells, I fix and customize.

Pics of my personal S12 are in the pics thread, and pics of some of my other work is in the tech section in the Duracoat kit thread.

I custom built both of the FALs, and the short one I custom shortened the gas system and made the stock from scratch, just a few of the things I did to that rifle. I can go into detail if anybody wants.

I'll have to take some closeups of some of the details of my S12 and add them to my pic post.

Wow, you did have some time on your hands. Thanks for the info, it sounds like I made the right choice, conversion seems to be the way to go.

The only thing I need to get now is a fore end, in your opinion what is your favorite and or what one seems to work the best for you? It seems the options are limited to factory, galil look alike or the pricey quad rail.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, you did have some time on your hands. Thanks for the info, it sounds like I made the right choice, conversion seems to be the way to go.

The only thing I need to get now is a fore end, in your opinion what is your favorite and or what one seems to work the best for you? It seems the options are limited to factory, galil look alike or the pricey quad rail.

Hey again Oregon; Sorry for the late reply, I had finals in college the last few weeks.

Foreends I've been having alot of trouble with. I've ordered the typical 'factory' foreend with the picatinny rail underneath (same as you'll see on this site's e-store (out of stock)). I found a company that claims they can order and ship it, but it's coming straight from russia and is gonna run me close to $100 (if not more with shipping). I've been waiting for the part for close to a month, and there's not even a breath of information from the company I ordered from that it's even in country yet, and I'm beginning to wonder if it'll even get here.

Dinzag at Dinzagarms.com does conversions of foreends from stock parts designed for other models of the Kalashnikov rifles. You can find a pretty healthy variety of them there. As my money is off in la-la land, and I might have wasted my time ordering the factory parts from back-order, I recommend taking a look.

If the factory foreend I ordered never arrives or I get the 'shunt' from the company I ordered from, I'm going to take some careful measurements of a stock AK-47/74 model, and then hunt around for a forearm I can modify myself (which I just know will be a mistake I will regret every time I look at my rifle). If I determine 100% that I can't do it and be happy with it, then I'll be ordering from dinzag.

Specifically, I was thinking of this one.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/furniture/furn_syn_rail.html

It's not produced from factory for saiga-12, and may require some additional parts to hold the foreend on the rifle. Assuming it won't break my bank (I am a struggling poor student in college), this is the part I had my eyes on. I want the upper and the lower foreend, which may require me to purchase another gas tube. Don't take my word as canon about the gas tube, I have not researched it enough yet to know if it is impossible to get by without the replacement gas tube; and I won't be looking into it until my other part order falls through.

I hear you about the galil and quad rail foreends though. I was shocked that they are so popular (I think they look pretty ugly, but I'm a nobody). I attribute this to the likelyhood that those style of foreends (galil) are either easily convertable or manufacturable for a saiga-12. I have no evidence for this opinion, it is purely speculation, and I'm probably dead wrong at any rate.

I would really want a quad rail, except they cost close to 40-50% of the price of the stock rifle, and ALSO weigh close to 50% of the rifles base weight. Too much money for a struggling college student, and too heavy to be comfortable for most of my applications of it.

If you have decided to order a professionally altered/milled forend, then I recommend dinzag @ Dinzagarms.com

Just make sure you read the part where he talks about needing other parts for those handguards/foreends.

I have never dealt or spoken with the man, but he is who I'll probably be talking to when my other order fails to arrive.

Good luck and happy hunting fellow Oregonian.

Here is how it went for me.

1. Found Saiga-12.com

2. Seen Cobras

Cobra.jpg

3. Found an S-12 with 3 10rd and one 5rd mag for $600

4. Took S-12 home and logged on to Saiga-12.com

5. Printed all of the conversion info I could and ordered parts.

6. Bought a dremel and punches hammer etc.

7. Parts showed up and I unpacked them and made this.

SAIGAPOSTABLE.jpg

I call it iteration 1 RSA trigger, wood stock, AR pistol grip, and salvaged trigger guard

8. Ordered more parts.

9. Parts show up and I find out Cobra is only an hour drive away.

10. I put new parts on and drive to Cobras he cuts the barrel, re-port.

AKS-12.jpg

Iteration 2

I have the rest of my parts coming in hopefully the next two weeks.

Before this I swapped some parts on a 1911, a 590, and built 2 AR's

I knew nothing about AK's or Saigas other than shooting and cleaning until I found this Forum.

So... How am I doing?

O my point. If your good with tools and can learn by just reading and handling the parts in your hands you can do it yourself.