Need help with Elite Firearms

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Elite Firearms in Hurst, TX. I sent him a Saiga 12 for conversion in early January and called once in mid Feb and once in late Feb and was told both times that the gun was done and was going to be shipped and that they would call to confirm this. It is now mid March and I haven't heard anything from them I still have not received the gun. I sent an e-mail requesting a status 5 days ago, left messages with them today (along with another e-mail) and have heard nothing. I have heard many good things about Dave and his work on guns and was wondering if he is just slow to respond or if there is something I should worry about. Just a note, they seem very nice on the phone when they are there and I am not unhappy with them at this point, just concerned. thanks

Just a note, my post above is not meant to be disparaging to Elite, I am just seeking advise on how to best deal with this situation. I think this is just a missunderstanding on my part and, at this point, would use them again if I like the end result.

DAVE STRICKS AGAIN!!! Sorry to here it, I would be pissed! The good stories about Dave and his work are few and far between. There are many horror stories on this and other forums ,including pics, about Dave. Lies, shitty work, swapping your good parts out for cheap ones, lies, and delays. I noticed he pulled all his auctions off of Gunbroker a few weeks ago. It won't take you to much looking on here to verify all this and more. If you payed with a postal money order, It is a felony is he tries to cheat you. Hope you get it straightened out.

There are many horror stories on this and other forums ,including pics, about Dave. Lies, shitty work, swapping your good parts out for cheap ones, lies, and delays. If you payed with a postal money order, It is a felony is he tries to cheat you.

I actually did pay with money order and have tracked all of my e-mails, etc. just in case (I am an investigator for an insurance company and am used to gathering and keeping evidence). I have all original receipts, serial numbers, I can get a copy of the cashed money order from my bank (I asked when I got it), etc. To what authority should I report this, the ATF or the police department where the business is? I am not sure if a federal or a state law has been broken and I hate to call this a theft just yet. I have an attorney friend who I trade investigative work for legal services that states that he can also file in federal court (told that when it is shipped accross state lines it is a federal civil action) if any of the parts are swapped out like you said. Is there an easy way to tell or should I take the gun into Vector Arms (a top notch AK maker here) to look it over? (I live in the same city and have friends who work there, they had looked over Dave's site and told me that since they only parkerize the finish and don't bead blast I would be better off with him). I have waited for 2 1/2 months and maybe it is time to take some action. My attorney friend says I should give him every reasonable opportunity to rectify the situation as court battles take so much time, but it seems that I can't do this if he won't reply to my e-mails or phone calls. Thanks for the heads up. I think I will give him another week as this may still be a giant missunderstanding. I am really bumed to learn that Dave has a history of this. He and his people were so nice on the phone. I am usually a really easy guy to please, I just wish that he would communicate with me. Thanks.

I'll chime in and add my opinion and some first hand experiences.

Dave has treated me fairly and has done good work for me.He is a one man show and he has a very large work load.I own 3 of his builds and 2 conversions,all are perfect and exactly as requested.6-8 weeks is expected when I send him work.

This forum is not Elite friendly so ask else where for opinions.If you have had a bad experiance with Elite firearms,I'll not try to disuade you of your opinion nor will I get into a pissing contest over your negative experiance with Dave.I know personally first hand his quality of work.

Everything I read on the internet I always look for both sides of the story and look for the facts.When you get your conversion back if it is not to your liking call Dave first don't run to the computer and begin a "Dave sucks" thread let him resolve the problem to your liking.I'm sure he will come through for you on your conversion and you can show off your S-12 to all here.

I just got a my S-12 he did for me and it is sweet,I just need to get a chance to shoot it,snap caps are just not enough fun.

Dave has treated me fairly and has done good work for me. This forum is not Elite friendly so ask else where for opinions.If you have had a bad experiance with Elite firearms,I'll not try to disuade you of your opinion nor will I get into a pissing contest over your negative experiance with Dave.I know personally first hand his quality of work.

You're right too, maybe I am being too harsh. I was not trying to run to the internet and be negative towards Dave, I really was trying to just get some advise because I did not want to tick him off and have him trash my gun. I don't know Dave and because of my job, I have a suspicious nature. To be clear on the subject, I do NOT have any opinion of Dave or his work other then he is a poor communicator, even if he does have a good reason. I see no need for a pissing contest either as I think I will hold my opinion until I get the gun. I will tell you one thing however, If Dave did do a good job, I will post it on this board and every other board I am a member of because I feel that, typically, only negative things get posted and that needs to change. Please pardon my second post as I started to panic when I read that he was a cheat. I am glad you posted this so I could let cooler heads prevail and give Dave an honest chance. God bless

Dave has treated me fairly and has done good work for me.He is a one man show and he has a very large work load.I own 3 of his builds and 2 conversions,all are perfect and exactly as requested.6-8 weeks is expected when I send him work.

This forum is not Elite friendly so ask else where for opinions.If you have had a bad experiance with Elite firearms,I'll not try to disuade you of your opinion nor will I get into a pissing contest over your negative experiance with Dave.I know personally first hand his quality of work.

Everything I read on the internet I always look for both sides of the story and look for the facts.When you get your conversion back if it is not to your liking call Dave first don't run to the computer and begin a "Dave sucks" thread let him resolve the problem to your liking.I'm sure he will come through for you on your conversion and you can show off your S-12 to all here.

I just got a my S-12 he did for me and it is sweet,I just need to get a chance to shoot it,snap caps are just not enough fun.

I didn't like dealing with Dave one bit. I'm an extremely fast payer and Dave wanted a tracking number for my payment one day after I won his auction. But when it was time to deliver my gun he was slow, rude and totally unresponsive. However when I finally did get my gun I was extremely pleased with it and have no complaints, the quality of his work was excellent on my S -12. That said I would never do business with Dave again. It's simply not worth the headache of dealing with an unresponsive jerk who's already got your money in hand and has you over a barrel.

Dave I don't think has stolen anyone's guns or completely disappeared with anyone's money. However, you may have to get forceful to get your gun. Perhaps not a pissing match, be nice and respectful, but warn him that right now you have little choice except to assume he disappeared with your money since he won't communicate with you to tell you differently and that you are looking into taking legal action. Assure him if he keeps in touch it doesn't need to go that far, but otherwise you have little other recourse. Goodluck man, that sux! Next time go with Tony.

Dave I don't think has stolen anyone's guns or completely disappeared with anyone's money. However, you may have to get forceful to get your gun. Perhaps not a pissing match, be nice and respectful, but warn him that right now you have little choice except to assume he disappeared with your money since he won't communicate with you to tell you differently and that you are looking into taking legal action. Assure him if he keeps in touch it doesn't need to go that far, but otherwise you have little other recourse. Goodluck man, that sux! Next time go with Tony.

I'm in the customer service industry and I have found you get more from being nice than being a prick.I'm not sure the proper saying but you get more flies with honey than with vinegar?

I'm in the customer service industry and I have found you get more from being nice than being a prick.I'm not sure the proper saying but you get more flies with honey than with vinegar?

I totally agree with what you are saying. It is too easy to go in and be a prick and piss everybody off when there is no need. Eventually I might have to get forcefull but I think I will try to be patient with the guy and give him a fair chance to do the right thing. In my job I deal with alot of pricks and I never want to make them happy. I don't see why Dave would feel any differently. So far the two people that have actually bought guns with Dave seem to be telling me his work is good but he is slow on the customer service. All I really care about is the job and work quality. Dave can keep the gun longer if this is an issue. I only want to have communication on what is going on. Anyway, I can tell my attorney friend really does not want to be bothered with such a small issue even if I know he would do it anyway. Its too bad if Dave is one of those guys who does good work but provides poor customer service. This will prevent him from getting alot of business. I will tell you one thing though, if the gun comes back and is nice, I will recomend him and use him again. Next time I will just have to know what to expect.

Someone should tell that to Elite Dave.

Some say his work is good but most have said it was bad. Maybe Dave is starting to take quality hints from the forums, maybe he needs to take the customer care hints. There was some postdavepretony pics of one that someone sent to tony that dave slung together.

I had Dave do an AMD65 pistol for me last year and this is a summary of my experience:

When I intially ordered my pistol, everything was great... the communication was good, he was courteous... but as he got busier, he started having problems keeping up and had a series of new emplyee problems, and that's when things changed. My opinion is that when Dave was handling a steady amount of business, everything went well, but he had a hard time with the rapid growth he experienced and is still having problems... I suggested to him that sometimes it's better to maintain a smaller shop and do a great job than to grow too fast and start pissing people off from lack of quality or service. I had to send my pistol back for work that was not satisfactorily done, and still had problems after I got it back a second time... although he did send an extra mag for my trouble, I would be hard pressed to feel good about doing any more business with him. It took a few months for me to finally get a pistol that was supposed to take 2-3 weeks (his estimate)... he was not returning calls or e-mails and made many promises he did not keep... when I reached the end of my rope, I started to use profanity and threatened to tell everyone about my bad experience with him, and he finally responded and shipped out my gun... even though I agree that you get more with honey, I would tell you that sometimes the squeeky wheel gets the grease. You'll have to decide whether to use honey or be the squeeky wheel.

Good Luck!

I had Dave do an AMD65 pistol for me last year and this is a summary of my experience:

When I intially ordered my pistol, everything was great... the communication was good, he was courteous... but as he got busier, he started having problems keeping up and had a series of new emplyee problems, and that's when things changed. My opinion is that when Dave was handling a steady amount of business, everything went well, but he had a hard time with the rapid growth he experienced and is still having problems... I suggested to him that sometimes it's better to maintain a smaller shop and do a great job than to grow too fast and start pissing people off from lack of quality or service. I had to send my pistol back for work that was not satisfactorily done, and still had problems after I got it back a second time... although he did send an extra mag for my trouble, I would be hard pressed to feel good about doing any more business with him. It took a few months for me to finally get a pistol that was supposed to take 2-3 weeks (his estimate)... he was not returning calls or e-mails and made many promises he did not keep... when I reached the end of my rope, I started to use profanity and threatened to tell everyone about my bad experience with him, and he finally responded and shipped out my gun... even though I agree that you get more with honey, I would tell you that sometimes the squeeky wheel gets the grease. You'll have to decide whether to use honey or be the squeeky wheel.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

I agree that I need to make my voice heard, however, I will try to be nice doing it. I guess I will have to be pleasantly annoying until I get my gun...if that makes any sense. Thanks for the feedback. The message seems to be pretty consistant about the delays which actually makes me feel better. Looks like I just have to be patient and bother the hell out of him until he ships the gun. Its too bad about the customer service thing. He would really be gangbusters if he would do a better job in this area.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

I agree that I need to make my voice heard, however, I will try to be nice doing it. I guess I will have to be pleasantly annoying until I get my gun...if that makes any sense. Thanks for the feedback. The message seems to be pretty consistant about the delays which actually makes me feel better. Looks like I just have to be patient and bother the hell out of him until he ships the gun. Its too bad about the customer service thing. He would really be gangbusters if he would do a better job in this area.

That might work... be consistently & pleasantly annoying so you will be at the top of his list everyday and he'll want to get you off his back. Good Luck.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Elite Firearms in Hurst, TX. I sent him a Saiga 12 for conversion in early January and called once in mid Feb and once in late Feb and was told both times that the gun was done and was going to be shipped and that they would call to confirm this. It is now mid March and I haven't heard anything from them I still have not received the gun. I sent an e-mail requesting a status 5 days ago, left messages with them today (along with another e-mail) and have heard nothing. I have heard many good things about Dave and his work on guns and was wondering if he is just slow to respond or if there is something I should worry about. Just a note, they seem very nice on the phone when they are there and I am not unhappy with them at this point, just concerned. thanks

Just a note, my post above is not meant to be disparaging to Elite, I am just seeking advise on how to best deal with this situation. I think this is just a missunderstanding on my part and, at this point, would use them again if I like the end result.

I just wanted to thank everybody for their feedback and want you to know that I feel alot better about the situation. Please keep posting as I will continue to monitor this. When I do get my gun back, you can count on me to give you my honest opinion. I will try to post some pics as well. I did hear from some other boards that companies like Marshall arms, Krebs, and In Range have a lead time of 3 months minimum and at times they do not take work at all so I guess this puts things into a better perspective for me as it has only been 2.5 months. I have also learned that Dave is having staffing issues at the moment which may be why he is slow to respond. I am learning that patience is a virtue I need to improve and I thank you all for yours.

This is the reasons I did my own conversion, because #1 it's easy #2 I get it exactly the way I want it, #3 I know that I'm satisfied with the work, #4 it's done on time, and #5 I saved a few hundred dollars!

Edited by topmaul
I'm not sure the proper saying but you get more flies with honey than with vinegar?

Nothing productive to add jsut want to be a smartass and point out you can get more flies with a dead squirrel. :unsure:

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: That's true, but no dead Daves.

I'm not sure the proper saying but you get more flies with honey than with vinegar?

Nothing productive to add jsut want to be a smartass and point out you can get more flies with a dead squirrel. :unsure:

Especially if you put it's headless body in the flies bed.

I have bought parts for my S-12 from Dave in the past. I know last year he had problems with employees quitting which put him way behind schedule. I have always been able to get him on the phone. I had more luck reaching him on his cell phone. I'll see if I can find that number.

Hummm....high turnover rate is another bad sign IMO. That said in my only dealing with Dave I got my kit I ordered from him within a couple of weeks....shouldnt have taken that long but that wasnt outragous.

A question? here it is if you have not heard good things about some one why send them your gun or any other business? I do not know Dave so I can say nothing one way or the other. I can say this though, while I was converting the Saiga for my son he kept telling me not to do a "Diamond Dad" job on it. Refering to you know who. This guy really needs to do some reputation repair, maybe hire a few people to get caught up. As easy as Saiga conversions are a half way machanicly inclined person with a few tools can do it. A trained gunsmith with a machine shop can really do a great job in no time when it comes to Saiga conversions.

When I had my first Saiga converted, I told the gunsmith that I would be needing it in a month and a half I was hoping to have it earlier, but it just was not ready until after closing the night before I needed it. The gunsmith called me to pick it up around 8:30 PM. So I guess the thing to do is to tell the person doing the conversion point blank "I need this done by date and time" don't leave it open ended and if you could get it in writing along with costs. Don't think you would have this problem with Tony or Cobra or Topmaul Conversions. (just kidding on that last one)

Edited by topmaul

A question? here it is if you have not heard good things about some one why send them your gun or any other business?

Well, that is a good question that deserves a good answer. When I initially sent the gun, I had taken the advice of somebody on the Guns Network forum. I have only now discovered that Dave is a sponsor of that forum so go figure. I have also seen posts in the past on this forum recomending him. Since this has happened I have looked on the net and it seems everybody either really hates him or really likes him. When I sent the gun, I had mostly found comments by people who really liked him. I am still not convinced he does bad work though. I do think he can improve communication and I don't think (from the way everybody talks) he is very good at sugar coating his opinion in an arguement. As a result, I think he has created several enemies for himself. I am not so concerned about his personality, I am very concerned about the quality and getting the gun back. I am going to be patient as is seems this is my best bet to get what I want from the situation and it really serves no purpose to piss Dave off at this point. I will get more agressive after I give him a fair chance. I think I will get my gun back from him, it is only a question of when.

As for the comment I made as to not knowing Dave, I don't. I had heard good things about him and I took a chance. I only hope I don't get burned in the end. I don't think this is unreasonable as I will often take the advice of others when I am unfamiliar with something. Dave seems like a complex personality and I am seeking advice so that I can reach the best possible conclusion to this matter. I am learning from both the positive and the negative posts about Dave and am formulating a plan to deal with him in a manner that will get the results I want. If I get the gun back and am happy with the work, I will recomend him but will make sure to tell people that they have to be patient and that Dave may not get back to them. I will call a spade a spade and try not to over or under react to what is going on. I don't think it is fair to completely judge someone off of what other people say and will reserve my judgement until the end of the experience as there are clearly two groups of people with polarized opinions of Dave. I am suprised at the controversy this topic has generated. Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by LberalHater
This ones got when good threads go bad written all over it!

naaaa.... i think most people (like me) are tired of trying to educate people about Dave.

If you're too lazy to research before sending a $400 gun off for $200+ worth of work, then shame on you. If you only look at on site and consider that "research", then shame on you again.

I wish the best for liberalhater, but until he grows a set and goes after Dave aggressively, then i can't join his fight.

caspian

This ones got when good threads go bad written all over it!

If you're too lazy to research before sending a $400 gun off for $200+ worth of work, then shame on you.

until he grows a set and goes after Dave aggressively, then i can't join his fight.

caspian

I don't think that being an ass hole to someone means you have "grown a set". If I start out of the gate aggressively what will be his first reaction? The guy will want to screw me and probably will!!! I will get aggressive when all of my other options are gone. If you think that I did not research this before sending him my gun, try typing in "elite firearms dave" into google and tell me where all of the negative press is? As for being aggressive, I have stood in court and ruthlessly put some pretty smug attorneys in their place and landed their clients in prison for fraud because I remained cool and collected. I have found that getting angry and loud in a legal action usually ends badly for my side. The best witnesses, and testimonies are given by cool collected people who only cite the facts. Let the cold facts hang the defendant...getting angry and emotional instantly discredits the person giving the testimony in the eyes of the jury/judge. Believe me when I tell you I have plenty of evidence to hang Dave if he tries to screw me. An attorney as looked over my case and has told me this would be a very short hearing as the law is clearly on my side.

On a personal note, what experience have you had with Elite Firearms that makes you qualified to educate others? Have you actually delt with the man or are you just taking everything that is said in an internet chat room at face value with total disregard to its validity? So far the only two people that have actually had experience with Dave agree that he is difficult to work with but will eventually get the gun to me. It is great that everyone else thinks that he is an ass hole, but unless you have an experience with him you are willing to share, I am going to have to defer to those who have real experiences.

Being a prick (and I am NOT saying you are one) does not make you a man. A man is someone who can control his emotions to best suit his interests. Getting all emotional makes it less likely that I will be able to accomplish my goal. When I say I will recomend Dave if he does good work, I also mean I will fry him if his work is shit. Everytime I have called in the past he has been civil and I will return this civility for a reasonable amount of time. The second he looses his temper, I will react appropriately. If you don't believe me, keep following this thread. If I get burned, everybody will know about it. Since I don't know him as well as you claim to, I am not going to treat him like shit unless it is warrented. I have an attorney friend willing to file suit for FREE!!! I only have to pay the filing costs. The costs Dave would have to pay an attorney for defense would far outweigh any benifit he would get out of not giving me the gun or refunding my money. It is clearly in his best interest to see that I am happy and if I can keep him form getting emotional, I think he will see this more clearly. I am just going to keep my "pair" dangling cool and free and not let them shrivel up into some mangina so that I start acting all emotional like some lady with menopause. :killer:

Sorry about the tyrade and I wish you the best as well and I know you are only trying to help, but I did not want you to think that if I start to get screwed that I am just going to bend over and take it. Its all just a matter of timing and finesse. I am trying to research this guy before I act. If I can establish how he will react, I can set up the situation to my advantage.

Let me start off by saying the if your gun is screwed up when you get it back PM me and we'll get you squared away. On the other hand let's hope every thing works out fine. You can count on help from members of this board to answer any questions regarding conversion issues.

by the way I'm not wild a bout liberals, but I'm having trouble spotting anyone who is not a liberal in the GOP

Edited by topmaul