is Saiga 308 Legal In CA

i hate california ;( what are my alternatives ? any suggestions ? i would of really like to know what are my options for a semi auto rifle in stupid california

No, its not... sorry to rain on your parade... Its an AK action... so its illegal... all Saigas are in Cali...

:smoke:

If you live in the Republik de Cali I don't think you have mANY options:

============================================

From: http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/s...te.php?st=ca#aw

ASSAULT WEAPONS

Are there limitations on assault weapons and magazines? Yes

California - State law restricts the sale of all semiautomatic assault weapons that have specific military features such as pistol grips and folding stocks as well as a list of assault weapons and their copies such as the AK47 and Uzi. People who owned such assault weapons prior to the law are required to register the weapons and may not sell or give them to anyone else in the state. State law also restricts the sale of rapid-fire ammunition magazines in excess of 10 rounds.

============================================

California law is why there are single shot and pump action AR15's available now. Also, Robinson Armament has there XCR (or whatever), basically a Daewoo/HK style .223, available without the pistol grip...it's pretty ugly and looks cumbersome to operate. At least they used to have one listed, don't know if they still do.

TGILIT (Thank God I Live In Texas!!!)

Edited by AK-treO8

I think those would be ok. As long as it doesn't have a removable mag, doesn't hold more than 10 rounds, and isn't a type of 'evil' firearm specifically mentioned (AK, Uzi) then you're ok.

I think Olympic Arms, Bushmaster, or DPMS have an AR15 with no mag well, it's just a solid block. You have to break open the rifle and load your 10 rounds into the permanently attached mag. This makes it Cali compliant.

I found some small pics of what I'm talking about. I think http://www.quarterbore.com has details on it.

post-1486-1144866601.jpg

post-1486-1144866615.jpg

post-1486-1144866666.jpg

Edited by AK-treO8
  • 3 months later...

All I need to know if anyone of you guys knows if this gun is legal in california, also how much would i expect to pay for it in this stupid state. Thanx Guys

if this is the case, then my dealer and I are in trouble. Just bought mine from a place in Orange, CA.

Ssssshhhh. We won't tell.

My experience: # AKs owned while living in California: 1

# AKs owned while living in Washington State: 9 with one more baby on its way

Ssssshhhh. We won't tell.

My experience: # AKs owned while living in California: 1

# AKs owned while living in Washington State: 9 with one more baby on its way

I won't tell.

Let's say that if I moved from Oregon to California, I could keep 3 pistols, 1 rifle, and a shotgun. Everything else I wouldn't be able to own.

:smoke: Hey Chicom-nice to finally see someone else from Kommiefornia as a member on the forum-I am in the oc also.

I have a 308 saiga and this rifle is -in terms of the 'PRK AWB' law-this one is really weird. AS DEFINED by the OVERALL law this rifle IS NOT an 'assault weapon'-GOD I HATE THAT TERM for semi auto rifles-but I digress- The Saiga 308 has a standard stock,can accept -ahem- ONLY FACTORY 8 rd mags,has no way to mount any dreaded front end pieces-bayo lug flash hider etc due to thee front site being all the way at the end of the barrel,cannot take a pistol grip -without modifying the FCG-yea I now of the factory pg folder-so it is realistically a hunting rifle,does not really look menacing at all. The ONLY thing that makes it 'illegal' is the receiver/action being an AK style. :eek: BASED on the above stats that is why you were probably able to buy it. How $$ was it btw?

I believe they are ADDING the term SAIGA to the banned list but not sure if listed already-did not see the rifles listed. :unsure: the shotguns are since they are a semi auto shottie that takes a detch mag. I am still trying to get on from anyone and just have the gas port welded or plugged off for now-maybe Tromix can do it-has a mfr C2(?) so I can have one -it would be a 'manual/pump' but at least I would have it and change it back when I get out of here. :smoke:

I have bought a walnut stock set from BRG3 for mine and it will look more like a competition rifle/hunting rifle so I am not too worried if I go to the range-now if I had a drum-er- 'non linear feeding device' or a 'dole banana' on it instead of the fact 8 rounder I would be more worried. :angel:

In terms of 308 rifles-M1a,Kali legal FN/STG58,or a PTR91--fixed mag HK91-have no idea how you reload that one. The FN/STG-stripper clip top cover and stripper clips,M1A reg 10 rd mags or 20's if you have them. Problem is that any of these 3 308 rifles will set you back :eek: $1600-2000 :eek: depending on what you want and availability. Finally-you are among friends and 'like minded individuals' so what happens on the forum stays here ie-what were we talking about? I do not remember :angel::super:

Hope this helped a little-besides if the SAiga rifles are NOT already listed then it would be legal for you to buy since the long gun paperwork does not state what it is you bought and I would think that if any crap would go down-the state would have to prove it was on the list before you bought it and why it is an assault weapon when it does not conform to the OVERALL conditions. I would DEFINITELY leave it stock and if it has wood-leave it alone,looks more 'civvie' unless you are LH like me that is why I had new furniture made for it also.

I just built up a M4 carbine that is 'KALI legal"-'fixed 10 round mag' and all the evil bits.

sweeet...and yes it set me back in the $450 range...yes they are cheaper elsewhere. I made an impulse buy. I bought a couple of AR lowers for cheap along with the Saiga .308. I saved on DROS and shipping fees. My AR lowers are made by Double Star, Winchester KY on sale at coldwarshooters.com approx. $120 each or less...

What about a good SKS? I mean, you can reload them in a snap with 10 round stripper clips...

NO doubt a SKS is a good choice if you live in that Commie state. I am so glad I don't live in the So called "Republic of Kalifornia"

I mean I can't even Pistol pack in that darn State.(Even though I have a permit in another state) If I can't Pistol pack I won't live there. Or maybe I would...... Pack Naked as my uncle calls it. That is to say pistol packed with out a permit. Come to think of it I would. But I don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn't be shocked if they soon ban the SKS in Kali. Because it was a model used in combat and since it is has the capcity of killing people it therefore should be banned. I bet they soon ban every caliber expect a .177 pellet gun

What about a good SKS? I mean, you can reload them in a snap with 10 round stripper clips...

NO doubt a SKS is a good choice if you live in that Commie state. I am so glad I don't live in the So called "Republic of Kalifornia"

I mean I can't even Pistol pack in that darn State.(Even though I have a permit in another state) If I can't Pistol pack I won't live there. Or maybe I would...... Pack Naked as my uncle calls it. That is to say pistol packed with out a permit. Come to think of it I would. But I don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn't be shocked if they soon ban the SKS in Kali. Because it was a model used in combat and since it is has the capcity of killing people it therefore should be banned. I bet they soon ban every caliber expect a .177 pellet gun

Well, when they do, we should organize an insurection and capture the state and free the people. Yes, and install a representative democracy :D

Actually, that sounds reasonable doesn't it? :smoke:

Edited by O.S.O.K.
i hate california ;( what are my alternatives ? any suggestions ? i would of really like to know what are my options for a semi auto rifle in stupid california

No, its not... sorry to rain on your parade... Its an AK action... so its illegal... all Saigas are in Cali...

:smoke:

If you are a home owner you could sell your Kommiefornia House and go into semi-retirement in any of the free states without much trouble.

ie Leave California with all possible haste!!

• 2 weeks later...

I always assume that the gun police are reading and participating on these BBs. ALL electronic messages can be easily traced, so I would never admit to a violation of law while on line. It could be used against you. Ignorance of the law is no defence, so know and live by the rules for where you live, or move. Have a blessed day! :blues:

Please join the movement for the forcible eviction of Callifornia from the union. Since the number of illegal Mexican's in Callifornia outnumber's the the American citizen's - and it's easier to get the American's to follow STUPID laws and regulations, let's give Callifornia BACK to Mexico and let THEM deal 'em!

I don't think that the businesses in the east and midwest would want to give up our best sea ports on the Pacific Ocean.

Think about having to import and export much of our stuff through Mexico or the Panama Canal. Remember we don't own their canal anymore.

I'm sure the government of Mexifornia would profit mightily from the tariifs on transshipped goods. :dollar:

I live in the part of the country that tried to separate from the USA in 1861. The rest of the county objected and there were bad feelings for better than 100 years. Look away Dixie land.

Ricardo- It is not 'ignorance of the law' that is the real issue-it is the IGNORANCE and STUPIDITY of the politicians who write and pass these laws.

As I stated in a previous post, the S 308 is NOT classified as an 'assault weapon' in kommifornia as the law was ORIGINALLY written-it does not have a PG,Flash hider,Bayo lug,CANNOT accept any mags over 10 rounds-ahem....- the ONLY thing that would ban it is the fact that it uses an AK action.

It was not on the ban list last I checked because it does not conform to what an AK type weapon is.

NOW ,the IDIOTS in this POS state are trying to come up with a new list(that they DO NOT publish or advertise for general public access-only to 'law enforcement agencies) where in they ban a whole other range of weapons BY MANUFACTURER NAME ie SAIGA-it is like banning WINCHESTER or REMINGTON- they arre trying to do it like a blanket law-It does not matter that the rifle was legal due to its general configuration as a HUNTING Rifle and had NO assault weapon traits EXCEPT for the AK action and detachable mag. HELL they banned the HUNTING version of the Browning BAR for the same stupid reasons.

Besides,MOST cops around here do not even know the letter of the law regarding what is really banned or not. They just look at it as a way to get recognition and a 'good job Jonny' . The DA's? MORE worthless elected POS politiciancs who will let MANY things slide or slack UNTIL it is an election Year, then if some poor dude gets caught on something stupid-they find even one 'evil weapon' -even though it has NO BEARING ON THE CHARGE AND WAS ILLEGALLY SEIZED-and the DA makes it look like the guy is a serial killer-why-to get re-elected.

Case in point-had an election-incumbent sheriff-Mike Corona-a career POS politician in my eyes-gets re-elected -again- and now wants to blow $500k on stupid surveys with ??'s like-should the deputies respond quickly to 911 calls? or 'should the dept arrest and prosecute seroius crimes,criminals,blah,blah...? WTF!!!!!!

He gets hauled in front of a commission to explain this crap,he gets pissed,has a fit ,and states that the board member(s) obviously cannot be educated on crime issues because they question his surveys/need for the money! This guys also been a subject of some investigations himself and his assisstant's son has been arrested on sex/statutory rape of a minor/drunk minor at LEAST 2 times.

Sorry I hijacked the thread-just had to point out where the REAL ignorance and stupidity lies in this state,aside from the majority of the inhabitants of this state.

I guess I will find out if any 'gun police' are watching this and if they are-they are doing it illegally if they come to my door and pull something.

If I could land a decent job in Utah,Colorado,etc and get out I would in a heartbeat,but it is hard to go to interviews in other states.

I am also of the mind that a new Constitutional Republic(as the USA was ORIGINALLY set up as) does need to be installed in this state or even the whole country if times and circumstances warrant it.

I am fighting the local city over an ordinance that states that my mOM has to maintain the PARKWAY on the OTHER SIDE of the sidewalk on the OTHERSIDE of the wall that is CITY PROPERTY- they want it landscaped or concreted in at the cost of $4k and they WILL NOT spend a dime on it,want the propoerty owner to maintain/bear ALL costs for the city property and are threatening court action against my mom- HOW is THAT for F%^&%# up shirking of responsibility and ignorance?

I am done here,I need a beer or cocktail! Peace Guys!! :smoke::super:

I believe some SKS rifles are legal in the Commiefornia except for the Yugo ones unless you remove the grenade launcher and sight, the night sights which no longer work and the bayonet (which is useless anyway. Have you ever heard of a crime where the perpetrator bayonetted his victim?) You can load the SKS qucikly with stripper clips and it's effective.

Don't worry, we can sleep at night better because Diane FineSwine has a concealed carry permit that the common people can't get. Govenator Arnold Schwartzenegger the son of a Nazi storm trooper made his millions with deadly weapons but wants to 'govenrate our gun rghts away the same way his inlaw Killer Ted Kennedy does.

I'm glad I moved away from there in 1994 but if the economy wasn't so bad I would have had to fight for my rights facing gun owner and NRA apathy.

• 1 month later...

THE ACTION OF A SAIGA 308 IS NOT THE SAME AS A AK. IT'S CLOSER TO A KEL-TEC SU-16 DESIGN. IT WAS REDESIGNED SO IT CAN NOT BE MADE FULLY AUTO. SO EASY

LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA. SKS RIFLES, SPRINGFIELD .308 INCLUDING THE SACOM 2, REMINGTON 30-06 WITH 10 ROUND CLIP, BROWNING BAR 30-06, M1 CARBINE 30 CAL

Hey there, new(ish) to Saiga-12 forums. I hate to bump an old thread, but I just gotta know: If what Steve467 says is true (which I have reason to believe it is, I just checked the list myself and the exact entry reads "Kalashnikov USA American Hunter/Saiga"), then what of the other caliber rifles? I'd really like to get one as a companion to my SKS. In actuality, I'm most interested in the .444 Marlin convertion that Tromix is working in right now, but that's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "get out of Komifornia" but I have too many ties (family and school) to leave anytime soon. Actually, I really like it here and it'd be a perfectly good state if it weren't for all the people in it. And the weather, I hate the weather. I hail from the Mojave-ish area. I like it cold and wet, like Seattle weather. It's usually not very cold or very wet in Mojave. [/rant]

"Not that it would be easy to find one, but this "nice theory" still works for AR-15s. Granted the stupid ones with the fixed mags, but AR-15s none the less."

You have a point.

There are "Kalifornia Legal AK's". Strange creatures.

I believe the only way that Saigas could be legally sold in Kalifornia would be to have a fixed magazine limited to 10 rounds.

Maybe I should have been more specific in my reply. I don't believe that the "not the same action as an AK" argument would fly in Kalifornia.

The Saiga action may be somewhat different, but, my bet is that the DOJ would consider it to be essentially the same. Remember, the DOJ doesn't have to make sense.

Edited by Oswald2001

The Saiga rifles are easily modifiable to be bolt action.

All you need to do is, take a spare gas tube, put a plug in the front end, drill some big holes in the middle so that it is obviously not functional, and voila: bolt-action Saiga. :) You now can use the evil HC-LFD.

You also might need to remove the piston from the bolt carrier.

Yeah, but that kinda kills the point of having an AK for me. My point is, the Cali AR-15s have fixed magazines because no one wants to take off the pistol grip. If you figured out how to make a decent AR without a PG, then it would be legal with the detatchable mag. Even the Robinson M96 is legal here assuming the PG is removed. The Saiga on the other hand doesn't normally have one, and it's layed out basically the same as an M1A or M1 carbine or Mini-14, all of which are legal here. Once you get past the features count, which the Saiga does, the only way it can be banned is if the DOJ adds its name to the list. Currently, the RAA Saiga isn't on that list. It probably will be in about 5 minutes since i posted this... :unsure: