I need edumacated

Yesterdays 308 Saiga shooting was pretty good. It definately puts off the heat. I only got off around 40 rounds through it before I called it a day. It didn't kick near as bad as I thought. Unfortunately, I now realize just how powerful that 308 is now. I have concluded I just don't won't to take the chances of hunting with it in Heavy woods or brush. That gun should be used only in cutover areas I can see a good distance. So now I have to find a gun without that much power (wink,wink). So now I would like your opinions of what you would buy if you were looking for a rifle in 7.62X39 you could hunt with as well as something that would use hi-cap mags. I am finding that some SKSs use normal AK mags. Reliability, price, accuracy are all considerations. Let them fly, guys.

As I understand it, the SKS is no more accurate than the AK, although its gas sysem is a bit different (more like a Dragonov). A US made AK would supply enough accuracy to hunt with but at great expense. A foreign model probably wouldn't suit your needs. The ROMAK 3 is more powerful than the 308 so that isn't an option either. Many guys on here say the AR15 in typical .223 is sufficient...I still think its small and don't like the tumbling effect much, but do what you want.

Edited by KySoldier

lots of places have a minimum caliber for hunting deer. Seems like it was .30 and above?

Haven't hunted with these, but another thing to consider is the availability of mags that hold your legal limit or fewer. Otherwise you'd need to build a block yourself.

I hear the SKS is pretty accurate, but I'm guessing at the range you hint at hunting in, any could be accurate enough for clean kills.

But why not a Saiga in 7.62x39? cheapest of the 3 (.308 and .223 being the other two) at CDNN.

SAR-1, grab on while you can!

If you got bucks and want a great shooter buy an Global trades Aresanal SA-56 has the most accurate 16" barrel on any AK!

OR

A VEPR K in 7.62x39 there the best overall, I got one with a 21" barrel. It's called a VEPR II and boy it's a Tack-driver!

:osama::killer::lolol::super:

Edited by rock47

As far as the SKS goes, always go Russian. They are the best but they'll cost ya $. The SKS that uses normal AK mags is called a Norinco Sporter. Stay away from this gun, they're junk IMHO. There are a few good (factory made)AK riffles out right now, depending on how muh you want send determands what you should get. Saiga, Vepr-k, or Arsenal Inc (Bulgaria or Nevada) all make very nice and accurate 7.62 guns. Alot of it will come down to personal prefrence and money.

if your looking specifiacally for a brush gun, and taking cost into the equation i would go with an sks, ive had 3. one i only paid $50 for. i never had a problem with any of them, i cant think of one time that they jammed.

the thing to consider that is the downfall on an sks is that there is no really good way to mount a scope to one. but if your under 100yds you dont need one.

infact if your under 100yds why not go with a siaga shotgun?

Only Chinese SKS rifles that use AK mags were imported. There were 3 models with 2 of the models having 20" or 16" barrels and one being imported with 16" barrels only. There was one pre ban model and 2 post ban models.

The pre ban model was the SKS Sporter and it can be found with 16" or 20" barrels. These had a standard SKS type folding bayonet and the same type stock as a standard SKS. There was no model name stamped on the reciever.

The post ban model SKS-D came with 16" or 20" barrels with no bayonet or bayonet lug just a block of metal where the bayonet lug should be. The ones first ones imported in 1990 after the ban had a standard type SKS stock. The later imports had a thumbhole stock. The recievers were not marked with the model name.

The second post ban model was the SKS-M that came only with a 16" barrel and the same square block where the bayonet lug should be. The stocks on these had the same look as a standard SKS stock but had a monte carlo cheek piece made into it. The recievers were marked SKS-M.

All these rifles could use any size AK magazine except for drums. The feed tower of the drums was too short and would hit the stock before going into the mag well enough to lock in.

The price on these SKS rifles usally runs $300-$400. Which puts them into the same price range as AK rifles.

Thanks JA for all that info. I went down and took a look at the WASR 10 today. I was not impressed. Seemed like it should have had Matel on it rather than Norinco. Earlier, I had looked at the MAC 90 at a pawn shop. Used, 1 30 round mag asking $375. I may take three bills and lay it on the counter and see if he goes for it. What does everybody think?

Stoney--If I was inclined to hunt deer with a 7.62x39 it would have to be for limited use on some of the small deer we have in Florida. I'd want really good accuracy for a clean kill so would choose a bolt action in that caliber. CZ I hear makes a pretty good one and the Ruger 77 MkII is great if you can find one. Would never use the 7.62X39 on the larger Western deer. Might be old fashioned but for small to medium size deer in dense woods the old 30-30 is still pretty good.

I don't know about where you guys are, but here in NY your hunting rifle has to carry no more than 5 rounds in the mag.I have a couple of 5 round mags for my Saiga 7.62x39, but my SKSs take 10 round strips.Does anyone know if/where I can get 5 round mags for my Yugo SKSs?They're more accurate than my Saiga(without the scope on it), and I'm sure other hunters wouldn't want to be near me when they see my bayonette equipped rifle! :unsure:

I have concluded I just don't won't to take the chances of hunting with it in Heavy woods or brush.

What kind of chances would you take with the 308? I can't follow your conclusion.

If you're worried about heavy woods and brush a lighter round won't save you.

Besides, you didnot tell what kind of game you intend to hunt.

If you're after deer with a 223 make sure you stalk close enough to get the job cleanly done. Make sure you have enough gun for responsible hunting. Not to inflame but, man, I know that there is a lot of wounded and lost AK47 deer out there, because some hunters think all you need is a full magazin.

Edited by glockzilla20

It surprises me that nobody picked up on the (wink,wink) comment. Ultimately, the hunting angle comes down to a "wife justification" thing. The comment on not using a 308 in that kind of setting was true. I have a 35 Remington that would be much more appropriate for hunting in heavy woods/brush than a MAk90. However, I will at least have a choice of what to take and will probably take it out at least once to appease the "wife gods". The reality of it is I was looking to pick up another gun in case a regime change happens and we are slapped with more legislation. I was seriously considering the SKS using standard AK mags, but was swayed away from them.

"3 bills" for a MAK-90 sounds like the way to go as it is a much better made rifle than the WASR-10.

The WASR-10 is a Romanian rifle that when imported could only use 10rd mags made only for it. Hense the -10 in the model name. They were modified to use regular AK mags by grinding the mag well opening out bigger. Doing this violated this ruling so US mfg. parts were added so it would be classiflied as a domestic mfg. rifle.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/treasrelease.htm

After this ruling the quality control on the Romanian rifles has really gone down hill.

stonyhat:

The .308 is an excellent caliber for hunting deer or any other North American thin skinned game under just about any conditions. In heavy cover use the heavier bullets. There is no need for you to buy another rifle but of course we can never have too many guns :)

Ony thing i dont like about my sks is if i rack it very hard it goes off

You have a sticking firing pin. Disassemble the bolt and clean out all the cosmo and accumulated crud. Check for burrs that might be causing the pin to bind in the bolt.